High voltage air ESCs for speed runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High voltage air ESCs for speed runs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default High voltage air ESCs for speed runs?

On my speed run mini 8ight T, space is at an extreme premium. I have seen some speed run vids on YT (I believe by Nic Case) and he shows some still pics of his cars. You can see the ESC is a standard Castle AIR unit, which is much smaller than the car unit.

What are the disadvantages of using an air ESC? I think the only 'feature' I need is braking... everything else can be skipped for speed runs.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I think you answered your own question... with no brake feature on aircraft ESC's, they wouldn't be practical for surface use, especially for speed runs where stopping power is arguably more important, ha!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

You would still have a brake, but you'd only have one value. It wouldn't be a proportional brake like on a car ESC. If not enough, you'll run out of range (or worse). If too much it'll lock up the wheels and spin out. Step up the speed slowly to get a ballpark figure of what percentage you'll need to use. Also, since it doesn't have reverse the ESC will arm at the full brake position on a pistol grip transmitter, and neutral would be 1/2 throttle. There's a product called a PiStix you can buy that goes between the ESC and receiver that moves the trigger position to neutral. Either that or if you have a very highly programmable radio you may be able to use the trim/subtrim/travel features to get the PWM signal over far enough that the ESC arms with the trigger in neutral.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
...if too much it'll lock up the wheels and spin out.
Just got a new esc and went out for some speed runs with the default brake setting of 50%. First time I hit the brake while at speed the front suspension compressed and the truck violently cartwheeled down the block... while my transmitter beeped to warn me that I was exceeding the defined 100kph speed limit. Lol

Second try, less brake, ended up front flipping onto the roof and sliding down the block for a couple hundred feet.

Only having full brakes would be.... interesting. Probably kinda dangerous too.