Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Orion r10.1 pro / LRP x20 help needed. >

Orion r10.1 pro / LRP x20 help needed.

Orion r10.1 pro / LRP x20 help needed.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Orion r10.1 pro / LRP x20 help needed.

Hello everyone. I recently put together a new 22sct 2.0 with used electronics. It is an Orion r10.1 pro esc and a LRP x20 8.5t motor. They are connected with a new Protek sensor cable. The batteries are fully charged SPC 2s 70c. Stock spur gear with a 19 tooth pinion. This is my first sensored setup. Today was my first test run and it didn't go well. The truck runs extremely well for about 2 minutes. After that it only has approximately %50 power. The esc does not indicate it has entered low voltage, or overheat mode. The motor and esc are barely warm to the touch when the problem occurs. I unplugged the sensor wire and the truck seemed to run consistently better than %50, but not near as good as the first minute or two with the sensor plugged in. I tried doing some research on the issue. I have found some old threads describing similar issues, but I am hoping someone has some new information. I don't know what software is on the esc, but assume any should work. Am I wrong? Faulty esc? Faulty motor? Wrong settings in esc? I'm disappointed that my first investment in a race quality setup didn't go as planned. I really need to get this figured out and can't afford to buy something on a guess. Unfortunately I don't have any other sensored motors or esc's for testing purposes. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. maybe cap is loose from the cap power board. remove plastic orion cover from caps, and if the caps are still connected, ditch the cover and replace it with shrink wrap - done this to my every orion esc cap because some times caps get loose from boeard
2. sensor is faulty in motor? you can also try putting the sensorwire to another port in esc end to check does it make a difference
3. remove timing from motor with different inserts
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lstmadness View Post
Hello everyone. I recently put together a new 22sct 2.0 with used electronics. It is an Orion r10.1 pro esc and a LRP x20 8.5t motor. They are connected with a new Protek sensor cable. The batteries are fully charged SPC 2s 70c. Stock spur gear with a 19 tooth pinion. This is my first sensored setup. Today was my first test run and it didn't go well. The truck runs extremely well for about 2 minutes. After that it only has approximately %50 power. The esc does not indicate it has entered low voltage, or overheat mode. The motor and esc are barely warm to the touch when the problem occurs. I unplugged the sensor wire and the truck seemed to run consistently better than %50, but not near as good as the first minute or two with the sensor plugged in. I tried doing some research on the issue. I have found some old threads describing similar issues, but I am hoping someone has some new information. I don't know what software is on the esc, but assume any should work. Am I wrong? Faulty esc? Faulty motor? Wrong settings in esc? I'm disappointed that my first investment in a race quality setup didn't go as planned. I really need to get this figured out and can't afford to buy something on a guess. Unfortunately I don't have any other sensored motors or esc's for testing purposes. Thanks in advance for any help.
I would find out what program is installed in the Orion 10.1. If you have the stock software installed it's not made for a 7.5 turn. You need to have the modified software. See if someone at your track has the Orion program box you could use. I have seen some used ones in the for sale section. Make sure you unplug the sensor wire from the motor when using the program box when not using a Orion motor.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dinosback View Post
I would find out what program is installed in the Orion 10.1. If you have the stock software installed it's not made for a 7.5 turn. You need to have the modified software. See if someone at your track has the Orion program box you could use. I have seen some used ones in the for sale section. Make sure you unplug the sensor wire from the motor when using the program box when not using a Orion motor.
Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to get away without buying a program box, but it looks like I probably need one to find out whats going on. My local track is an hour drive and I'm not sure anyone would have one and be willing to let me use it. I will be racing on my own track against friends this year. I'm the only one with an Orion.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Peakki View Post
1. maybe cap is loose from the cap power board. remove plastic orion cover from caps, and if the caps are still connected, ditch the cover and replace it with shrink wrap - done this to my every orion esc cap because some times caps get loose from boeard
2. sensor is faulty in motor? you can also try putting the sensorwire to another port in esc end to check does it make a difference
3. remove timing from motor with different inserts
1. If I remove the plastic cover can I put it back on? I don't have shrink wrap that big right now.

2. Tried the other port and had the same issue after a few minutes. Went back and forth between them twice to be sure. I'm not sure how to test if the sensor is faulty. The motor runs great at first.

3. The motor has the lowest numbered insert in it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I switched the punch setting from the default setting of 7 to 5. The truck ran about 8 minutes then slowed down for about a second before taking off again. Luckily I was running without a body and noticed right away the esc flashing that the motor was hot. My temp gun said 162, but it's hard to get a good shot on the motor. I read the manual for the truck, esc and motor, I thought a 19t pinion would be close. I don't know if my gearing is wrong, or the esc software and settings are wrong. I would think I should be able to run the punch at 7, so I'm not convinced I don't still have an issue. I'm going to get a program box and start there I guess. Hopefully I don't buy a program box for a faulty esc.