Search

Futaba 4PX vs 4PV

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Futaba 4PX vs 4PV

Hello All

I have been looking around for some info about the main differences between a 4PX and 4PV (apart from the colour Screen). I am looking at getting one or the other but don't want to "waste" the hard earned on some features that are just not needed for a club \ national racer

Mainly used for 1\5th but I will use it essentially for anything I can fit a receiver into

I figured I would ask you guys if you can tell me what the differences are. Im sure some of you out there will be able to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

The SD Card updateability and the compatibility with almost every Futaba receiver as of late, makes the 4PX worth it. Its interface is better as well, as in evolved to help aid setup and overview. And according to Futabas site the ability to program any S-bus / telemetry via the radio is also pretty cool ( I am not running any telemetry as of yet, but a temp sensor would be awesome). The 4PV is still running the same basic interface since the 4PL.

I am not sure as to speed variation between the two, yet I am sure its performance (4PX) would be noticably better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0p0_ztUnc

Light Comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0p0_ztUnc

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 03-23-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

The 4px is obviously better it costs more lol. The 4pv is just a cheaper version of the 4px being is it not having all the bells and whistles which i dont think anyone needs other then the pros....thats just my 2 cents on it.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Can you really put a price on a radio? I say get the best you can afford and if you think you will use it for at least 3 years then its worth the investment. But both those radios are very good. Ive have only heard excellent things about them.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One big difference is that the 4PX can use the FASST protocol(in addition to FHSS, S-FHSS & T-FHSS), while the 4PV cannot use FASST.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

This is awesome guys. Thank you.

Knew I came to the right place.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

What's the difference between the FASST and the rest?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KCodd
What's the difference between the FASST and the rest?
I believe the FASST protocol is supposed to have the fastest response rate(meant for the most hardcore racers), followed by S-FHSS & regular FHSS. Not sure where T-FHSS fits in there, though....
Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Ryan Lutz did manage to make the podium at the 2017 Roar nationals in nitro buggy and nitro truggy. According to a press release from Futaba he uses R304SB receivers that use the T-FHSS protocol. The R304SB receiver is what comes standard with the 4PV. I recently switched from a Graupner X-8e to a Futaba 4PV. The Futaba 4PV is noticeably more responsive.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have both radios. My son uses the 4pv and I have been using a 4px for 2+ yrs. the 4px is a noticeable nicer interface. Response time is not noticed running off road. The 4pv software is the same as the 4pls. It works but it is dated. The biggest difference besides the color screen on the 4px is the ability to upgrade software on the 4px. If Futaba releases something newer or a new option you download it and boom its in your radio.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
I believe the FASST protocol is supposed to have the fastest response rate(meant for the most hardcore racers), followed by S-FHSS & regular FHSS. Not sure where T-FHSS fits in there, though....
FASST is not as fast as T-FHSS but maintains a closer average respond time as seen by one independent tester. I'm not sure how 4pv's latency will compare to 4px with the same T-FHSS receiver. Since the receiver and protocol are the same I would imagine any difference in latency will me caused by the Tx's processing speed.

However I feel latency wise 4pv should not be a issue even for high level racer.