Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting >

Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting

Like Tree51Likes

Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting

Old 03-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Are we calling this the new Official Tekin RX8 Gen3 thread?

Really excited about this release, which seems more like a thoughtful evolution than some pie-in-the-sky revolution. I'm fine with the polycarbonate case, but am hoping that the upper cover is from a better thermoset material that can withstand a few kisses from a soldering iron. The new posts should help, but their size and the gauge of my wire always had me on the posts longer than I would have liked resulting in some nibbling of the plastic.

It would be nice if the switch could be removed cleanly without having the cut it off altogether. Perhaps an easy to access solder pad where you pop a cover off and desolder a few leads and then solder a bridge over them for an always-on approach.

Can't wait to try this out!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Team Tekin

It is a very thoughtful evolution of a product that was already excellent in terms of performance, feel and features. There have been many improvements to the unit along the way as we continue the never ending pursuit of perfection !

Still not going to handle kisses from a 800deg soldering iron very well. It is still plastic.. Heat the wire, heat the post, bring them together quickly and they should flow nicely in just few seconds. Most people use too much solder and the iron struggles to heat all the mass.

Not sure we want most people soldering on the circuit board considering the soldering we see on the posts that causes many of the failures when wires break off Hopefully the new solder post design will help with that.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So when will this be released to the public?!?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bortzilla View Post
So when will this be released to the public?!?
We have already begun shipping this week to Distributors and Dealers.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MoltoMiller View Post
It would be nice if the switch could be removed cleanly without having the cut it off altogether. Perhaps an easy to access solder pad where you pop a cover off and desolder a few leads and then solder a bridge over them for an always-on approach.

Can't wait to try this out!
The switch can be easily removed actually. If you look at the bottom of the black housing you will find a metal "leg" bent over. Simply straighten this, and using a pair of pliers you can pull out the entire switch. You can either then solder the legs together, shorten the wire, etc. Your call.
Capelracer likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by yzracer758 View Post
We have already begun shipping this week to Distributors and Dealers.
Cool, thanks. What about the RX8 w/ T8 motor combos? How far behind will those be??
Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Propagander

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The boards are coated, which does provide protection from dust and moisture. As for auto cell detect, we do not offer it for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that a full discharged 4S pack could look like a full 3S pack to the ESC and we do not want to ever chance having the auto-detect be wrong and ruin someone's day. Setting the VC is extremely easy and can be done on the unit in a matter of seconds.

Pricing will be the same as the previous generation RX8s and we will begin shipping them this week.

As for the switch, I've never personally had one fail. I always CA it to the side of the RX8 case with the wires coiled up tightly. Been failure free since early GEN1 alpha testing.
Propagander
Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default Un biased information

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
We design products to work the best in the application. 1/8 scale is extremely abusive with massive impacts and shock. While an AL housing may look good it really does not serve the purpose best or as well as polycarbonate. Rigidity is not really a good thing when it comes to electronics and having some flexibility in the case is a good thing. Everyone mounts them on gel tape or double pads so they get that.

The Rx8 also already has an extremely effective heatsink that allows it to not need a fan in almost all cases. It does not need the extra heatsink from the AL housing.

While there are many new advantages to the Rx8gen3 for power handling, software, smoothness, performance, and stonger bec, we are expecting over time what people will realize is the durability. Part of that is the case design to reduce stress on the circuit boards that can cause broken solder joints and cracked components.

Ever seen a slow motion video of a 1/8 buggy flat landing on basically concrete from 10+ ft in the air
Unlikely to get reliable information here about this product regarding improved duty cycle etc ,as the Tekin propaganda squad are all over it allready!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noddy2 View Post
Unlikely to get reliable information here about this product regarding improved duty cycle etc ,as the Tekin propaganda squad are all over it allready!
Not able to get reliable information? They designed and built the thing. All he described is their thought process and what went into the new ESC. The ESC just started shipping this week. Time will tell on its performance. I've ran the same RX8 Gen2 ESC and 2000kv motor in my truggy for almost two and a half years now and it's run flawless. I ran an RX8 Gen2 ESC and 1900kv motor in my buggy for the past two and a half years and it too ran flawless. They make good products. Also, it's what a company does to be successful, they promote their products in an effort to sell them and keep being a company.
Mirkinator likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default New rx8

Still waiting on iOS app and Bluetooth connectivity. Any planned release date?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default Unbiased opinion

Originally Posted by Mikeand22 View Post
Not able to get reliable information? They designed and built the thing. All he described is their thought process and what went into the new ESC. The ESC just started shipping this week. Time will tell on its performance. I've ran the same RX8 Gen2 ESC and 2000kv motor in my truggy for almost two and a half years now and it's run flawless. I ran an RX8 Gen2 ESC and 1900kv motor in my buggy for the past two and a half years and it too ran flawless. They make good products. Also, it's what a company does to be successful, they promote their products in an effort to sell them and keep being a company.
Whats that got to do with duty cycle?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Independent reviews

It would be great to have a thread were we could discuss the pros and cons of various speed control/ motor /battery requirements ,and share experiences with them ,without the team guys and sprookers interfering all the time ! It's like,if you ask has anyone had a problem with a switch or some other issues, you get an instant response from numerous fan boys swearing they've never had such a problem !!!
OK then why do they feel compelled to make the comments ?.
If we ask has anyone NOT had a problem with such and such ,then fine ,go ahead and sing the praises. lol .I mean fair go ,they keep interupting the discussion, end up getting cranky!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

It would be great to have a thread were we could discuss the pros and cons of various speed control/ motor /battery requirements ,and share experiences with them ,without the team guys and sprookers interfering all the time
Well, if you want a thread like that... go ahead and start one.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am sorry that most of you feel like I am trolling this thread but it really makes me cringe when I read things like "We use a much better switch and receiver plug that cost a lot more, but do a job better" or " Heavier copper power boards, brand name components instead of recycled or knock offs". I used to have this esc's and que power was really good but the quality of materials was poor at best. Plastic case cracked in 3 out of 4 esc's I had and the switch usually broke even with the switch shoe goo to the car. Also, I work on electronics and had few friends ask me to solder post back into their boards because they came loose or simply wasn't soldered properly. My question to my tekin tech is: Are you using silver solder or 60/40? Those post came off easily to be silver soldered. Also any one the has ever ordered trough digikey or mouser knows that those switches go for pennies or fractions of a penny for mass production. Don't call them "lot more", is not true, lets be honest with people.

Why the rant? While I liked the power they produced I was upset that for $214 that I paid It only lasted a handful of races, 3 of the 4 I owned. To find out that they knew there was issues with it and to tell me to either open the case an put foam under the board or just get Kyosho gel tape was unacceptable (Of course they could of repaired or replaced it for a fee). You should of recall the defective product IMO. I am not a pro or a veteran racer but If I go to a single race and see more than 5 dying... come on, there is a quality problem....... Let's be honest here. Honesty goes a long ways. *drop the mic*
Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It would be great to have a thread were we could discuss the pros and cons of various speed control/ motor /battery requirements ,and share experiences with them ,without the team guys and sprookers interfering all the time ! It's like,if you ask has anyone had a problem with a switch or some other issues, you get an instant response from numerous fan boys swearing they've never had such a problem !!!
OK then why do they feel compelled to make the comments ?.
If we ask has anyone NOT had a problem with such and such ,then fine ,go ahead and sing the praises. lol .I mean fair go ,they keep interupting the discussion, end up getting cranky!
I think if you just asked a question about the duty cycle, there would not have been a comment. You made an accusation that Tekins statements about the product are unreliable. If they said they improved the duty cycle or improved whatever else on the esc, why would you not take their word on it, they designed and built it? If you want to ask if end users feel the esc has been improved in a certain area, then ask it. But the accusations you made warrant comments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service