Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting >

Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting

Like Tree51Likes

Tekin Rx8 Gen3....interesting

Old 03-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl View Post
External is much better IMO. once the ESC is out of warranty, cut off the switch and solder the wires together. No switch is mich more reliable than any switch.
You don't have to wait until the warranty expires. I cut the switch off as soon as it comes out of the box and have never had an issue getting them warrantied if needed.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
Tekin - RX8 GEN3 1/8 Brushless ESC
A couple things I don't see if it now has are, auto cell detect &/or any dust/moisture protection.
I don't mind if it has auto cell because I only use 4s, would be nice if it's dust/moisture protection since they have the rx4 that's waterproof.

Curious on release date and pricing.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Team Tekin

The boards are coated, which does provide protection from dust and moisture. As for auto cell detect, we do not offer it for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that a full discharged 4S pack could look like a full 3S pack to the ESC and we do not want to ever chance having the auto-detect be wrong and ruin someone's day. Setting the VC is extremely easy and can be done on the unit in a matter of seconds.

Pricing will be the same as the previous generation RX8s and we will begin shipping them this week.

As for the switch, I've never personally had one fail. I always CA it to the side of the RX8 case with the wires coiled up tightly. Been failure free since early GEN1 alpha testing.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The boards are coated, which does provide protection from dust and moisture. As for auto cell detect, we do not offer it for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that a full discharged 4S pack could look like a full 3S pack to the ESC and we do not want to ever chance having the auto-detect be wrong and ruin someone's day.
TY for the info, I did not know, nor thought of the discharged pack issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
While an AL housing may look good it really does not serve the purpose best or as well as polycarbonate. Rigidity is not really a good thing when it comes to electronics and having some flexibility in the case is a good thing. Everyone mounts them on gel tape or double pads so they get that.
So, why is the RSX (also a $200+ esc) in an aluminum case and not in a polycarbonate like the rx8?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

One Question to the ESC Case. Is only the Fan-Mount new designed or the internal layout too? I heard that ESC can stop working if you land hard without a big landing area. I think this happens more at EU-Style Tracks and it known that older RX8 didn't like it. So I hope you improved this, because I want your ESC and it must work good even in hard races.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
So, why is the RSX (also a $200+ esc) in an aluminum case and not in a polycarbonate like the rx8?
Heat dissipation. The RSX is a much smaller package than the Rx8 and needs the aluminum housing to keep the unit running cool.

The Rx8 has a much larger heatsink which is sufficient alone allowing us to run the poly-carbonate composite material to save weight.
"Smiley" likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by TruggyStyle View Post
One Question to the ESC Case. Is only the Fan-Mount new designed or the internal layout too? I heard that ESC can stop working if you land hard without a big landing area. I think this happens more at EU-Style Tracks and it known that older RX8 didn't like it. So I hope you improved this, because I want your ESC and it must work good even in hard races.
The internal layout has changed since the original Gen1 ESC. Early on there was an issue where the onboard buttons could be activated after a hard hit while the car was rolling on the track. This caused the ESC to go into Pit Tune mode and take away throttle. This was fixed with a software update.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Heat dissipation. The RSX is a much smaller package than the Rx8 and needs the aluminum housing to keep the unit running cool.

The Rx8 has a much larger heatsink which is sufficient alone allowing us to run the poly-carbonate composite material to save weight.
Will the Hotwire 2.0 work with the gen 3? Asking because I'm within grace period of returning window for the Hotwire.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoobRacer View Post
Will the Hotwire 2.0 work with the gen 3? Asking because I'm within grace period of returning window for the Hotwire.
Yes, the Hotwire 1.0 and 2.0 are both compatible with the Gen 3 RX8.
MoltoMiller likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Can I send in a gen 2 that has glitching issues can I upgrade to a gen 3 if so what will be the cost?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9 View Post
Can I send in a gen 2 that has glitching issues can I upgrade to a gen 3 if so what will be the cost?
It would fall under our normal warranty/non-warranty service policy. Any RX8 Gen 1 or Gen 2 that needs replaced will be done so with a new Gen 3 from this point on. Tekin - Service Department has all the details and pricing on non-warranty replacement costs
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Team Tekin

Hot on the heels of the Rx8 Gen3 release guys.

V258 Release Info:

·Better throttle control and feel
·Improved braking response and control
·Increased ESC circuit durability across all platforms
·Adjustable Throttle and Brake Frequency
·Improved power management
·New Fault code for fan plugged in backwards OR Futaba transmitter off
·HotWire 3.0 BLE compatibility

Version v258 shows HotWire 11.34.3
Compatible with RX8 Gen3, RX8 Gen2, RX4, RS Gen2, RS Gen2 Spec, and RSX.

Site Index Text

HotWire 11.34 containing V258 is now available! Update your RX8, RX4, RSX or RS Series ESC and harness this free update including improved power handling capabilities, increased circuit durability, enhanced throttle and braking features and more. Download and update now!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

I have never had tekin switch fail on me in the +-4 years I've been racing, by far much better than any other mechanical switches I've had experience with (which is A LOT).
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Team Tekin

That is another one of the areas we do it better and people do not always notice because it just works. We use a much better switch and receiver plug that cost a lot more, but also do the job better. Heavier copper power boards, brand name components instead of recycled or knock offs... the list goes on and on.

Same thing on our motors where we use a couple dollars worth of quality bearings instead of .30 worth of bearing like most use. We also use a much larger bearing on the shaft end because that is where the load is and what it should have !

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service