Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Team Orion HMX10 esc >

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Like Tree23Likes

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Old 07-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dinosback
Yes, Just download the mod or blinky software and your good to go. I'm glad they fixed that.
Nice. I called Horizon and they confirmed. They even admitted there were so many problems with this esc that they pulled them off the shelf a while back. It looks like everything is all good now ... except the iOS app is a complete unknown.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

I've tried two different PCs and neither will allow me to connect my HMX esc to the HMX software. This is killing me.

Started the software. connected the esc to the computer via Micro USB/to USB cable. Turned ESC on. I even unplugged the sensor wire to my motor. The HMX software will not talk to my esc. arrrrrrgh!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist
I've tried two different PCs and neither will allow me to connect my HMX esc to the HMX software. This is killing me.

Started the software. connected the esc to the computer via Micro USB/to USB cable. Turned ESC on. I even unplugged the sensor wire to my motor. The HMX software will not talk to my esc. arrrrrrgh!
I'm not familiar with the HMX software, but if it needs to be launched before plugging in your ESC, try running the software in Administrator mode. And if that doesn't work, try running it in a compatibility mode.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

finally got my hmx programmed. What a PIA if you are a mac/iphone owner. the PC software is archaic looking while the android app is pretty cool. My first impression of the Android app was positive. It was fast with some really nice features.

The ESC performance is exactly what I wanted. I've owned a bunch of R10.1 and while they performed well I hated the Orion customer service (still do), so I tried a different brand that has great specs. This new brand is well known but I'll not mention it as I don't want to bash a good company. That esc was manageable but had several things that bothered me (weak breaks, throttle was too harsh (on or off feeling), and it would make my motor skip or cog or something funny for a split second at random times which was only noticeable on the bench).

Now the HMX. So smooth if you want or punchy as hell if you want - it does it all! It seems like the voltage regulation is very smooth and consistent to the motor. That motor skipping thing is gone, the breaks are super strong which allows me to turn them waaay down so I have a wider range on the radio to adjust (It also sounds like maybe the breaks are a bit quieter than the R10.1 which produced a shreik when breaks were pushed). And the app is cool. You get a very wide range of adjustments that adjust and load fast. The best feature of the app is being able to save and load entire profiles that have each parameter adjusting differently. For example a carpet setup versus a dusty dirt track set up or even several for the same track and each is designed for various traction levels. Is it worth $385 ... hell no, but I do like the esc, my car is better and I would highly resommend it if you have the money to blow and an android phone. If this esc cost $200 and Orion treated their customers like humans it would destroy the competition. Lucky for the competition Orion has some major company communication problems and pricing arrogance.
G-rem and Goof like this.

Last edited by Finalist; 08-10-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

finally got my hmx programmed. What a PIA if you are a mac/iphone owner. the PC software is archaic looking while the android app is pretty cool. My first impression of the Android app was positive. It was fast with some really nice features.

The ESC performance is exactly what I wanted. I've owned a bunch of R10.1 and while they performed well I hated the Orion customer service (still do), so I tried a different brand that has great specs. This new brand is well known but I'll not mention it as I don't want to bash a good company. That esc was manageable but had several things that bothered me (weak breaks, throttle was too harsh (on or off feeling), and it would make my motor skip or cog or something funny for a split second at random times which was only noticeable on the bench).

Now the HMX. So smooth if you want or punchy as hell if you want - it does it all! It seems like the voltage regulation is very smooth and consistent to the motor. That motor skipping thing is gone, the breaks are super strong which allows me to turn them waaay down so I have a wider range on the radio to adjust (It also sounds like maybe the breaks are a bit quieter than the R10.1 which produced a shreik when breaks were pushed). And the app is cool. You get a very wide range of adjustments that adjust and load fast. The best feature of the app is being able to save and load entire profiles that have each parameter adjusting differently. For example a carpet setup versus a dusty dirt track set up or even several for the same track and each is designed for various traction levels. Is it worth $385 ... hell no, but I do like the esc, my car is better and I would highly resommend it if you have the money to blow and an android phone. If this esc cost $200 and Orion treated their customers like humans it would destroy the competition. Lucky for the competition Orion has some major company communication problems and pricing arrogance.
Hobbywing North America treats customers like shit Too, it's not only orion.
Goof likes this.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

The stock firmware has "special, hidden blinky performance settings, which are included in the blinky firmware." that the mod firmware does not have as stated by Orion.

anyone know what those super secret hidden features are?
Perhaps a customer service button?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

The stock firmware has "special, hidden blinky performance settings, which are included in the blinky firmware." that the mod firmware does not have as stated by Orion.

anyone know what those super secret hidden features are?
Perhaps a customer service button?
I'm guessing it's software for running a micro flux capacitor that only triggers with stock firmware. Should be good for at least 88 down the front straight on a 17.5
Old 08-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I'm guessing it's software for running a micro flux capacitor that only triggers with stock firmware. Should be good for at least 88 down the front straight on a 17.5
Isn't cheesey AF that they wrote "hidden" like there is some magic. Why can't they just tell us what changes. I won't bother wasting my time and asking them.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is anyone else having a problem connecting to the ESC using a smartphone? It keeps telling me " ESC is not connected ". After about 20x of plugging and unplugging the cable it will work and allow me to change my settings. I know it's going to stop allowing me to soon
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
$385 lol

Well at least you'll get their (in)famous customer service for that price!
Can we all get together and ask orion when their Apple support will arrive? Orion doesn't seem to respond... at all... ever... on any media venue... does Orion even really exist?
Called it.

There are a few R/C companies who I think are just plain toxic to the hobby. Orion is on that list at #2. I won't name #1, but it rhymes with Trinity.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's sad that this ESC is literally more expensive than its weight in silver.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 3than0d311
It's sad that this ESC is literally more expensive than its weight in silver.
Fully! I would have not paid for it but a buddy won it in an auction and I bought it off him. I will say it is a fantastic ESC. Very smooth! I run it in 17.5
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Anyone experienced problems with the brakes. At the end of a long straight 8 times out of 10 the brakes work fine. The other two times the brakes will not engage. They are great when they do work though.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lil help guys I got the new hmx combo in Monday esc and motor
My issue is when I plug into my tablet I get the loading setup default and I have tried to
Calibration to my radio and nothing is happening only steering any advice please
Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Is anyone else having issues with their loaded profiles sticking? Each time I go out for the day I check the speedo and each time my loaded profile from the last time isn't loaded. It reverts back to the default profile. I have tried re calibrating, signing out and in , nothing makes the profiles stick ..........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.