Like Tree17Likes

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is one of the lamest things I've heard. Could be wrong but also sounds like an attempt to squeeze the consumer to purchase additional units. Reminds me of the tactic of the 300 percent markup on the program card which is why I never tried the former ESC. Also, still doesn't make sense why you cannot adjust frequency or pulse width modulation. Very happy with my MaClan MMax esc where I can actually enjoy the benefits of a 32 bit ESC. Maybe Orca is a better bet than this if looking for a higher amperage 32 bit ESC, otherwise I'll stick with my maclan

Originally Posted by dinosback View Post
With the Mod HMX version you can put it into blinky mode. But you can not download the stock software with has more settings for running in blinky mode. The Mod software is not optimized for running 17.5 or 13.5. With the R10.1 you could download the stock or mod software. I talk with horizon hobby and they told me there is no way right now to download or install the stock or mod software. This is a real pain in the ass as I had to send two of my three units back for the blinky HMX10.
exheliguy and latentspeed like this.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the Mod HMX version you can put it into blinky mode. But you can not download the stock software with has more settings for running in blinky mode. The Mod software is not optimized for running 17.5 or 13.5. With the R10.1 you could download the stock or mod software. I talk with horizon hobby and they told me there is no way right now to download or install the stock or mod software. This is a real pain in the ass as I had to send two of my three units back for the blinky HMX10.
Looks like I get to also call Horizon to get my hmx mod sent just to get the blinky version. I am blown away that Orion could release a product that is this difficult to get adjusted.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
Looks like I get to also call Horizon to get my hmx mod sent just to get the blinky version. I am blown away that Orion could release a product that is this difficult to get adjusted.
I see your trader rating is zero .... maybe you can do something about it by selling something( like that stupid high priced esc of yours -- you can actually get a HW XR10 and a Maclan MMx for that) so your trader rating will be more than zero.

...sorry ... just trying to cheer you up Freeski. Hot Rod was fun !!!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Well , also have got my hand on one. And so far I have not been able to adjust the speedo with the app. Had a Samsung S5 mini , could download the app but no contact between speedo and mobile.
New phone , a huawei P9 lite , not able to download app. No info anywere what android version , or what to do.
Have run some practice with the speedo , adjusted with a Samsung S8 , that i borrowed.
Lets here ideas
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnsen-dk View Post
Well , also have got my hand on one. And so far I have not been able to adjust the speedo with the app. Had a Samsung S5 mini , could download the app but no contact between speedo and mobile.
New phone , a huawei P9 lite , not able to download app. No info anywere what android version , or what to do.
Have run some practice with the speedo , adjusted with a Samsung S8 , that i borrowed.
Lets here ideas
The app worked on my S7 with no problems. I could not figure out how to calibrate the with remote on the app. I had to plug it in to the computer. The software for the computer is not very good as it took a few times of unplugging and plugging back in to connect to the esc.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

The app worked on my S7 with no problems. I could not figure out how to calibrate the with remote on the app. I had to plug it in to the computer. The software for the computer is not very good as it took a few times of unplugging and plugging back in to connect to the esc.
I had the same issue with the app and calibration. I ran into trouble when I went to try and load settings through the app, but I was able to get it working through the computer.

I also spoke with Horizon today and they confirmed what you posted earlier about not being able to change the firmware unless you have it loaded from the factory. For those out there planning on using this esc for blinky, make sure you get ORI65133 which has the blinky firmware. If racing mod, look for ORI65132 which has mod firmware.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Orion just put there Quick start manual out
http://www.hmxtechnology.com/wp-cont...Quickstart.pdf
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Am I blind or is the price of this thing really $370?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Am I blind or is the price of this thing really $370?
More like $384.99

Orion now builds the cost of the programming box into the cost of the esc. I guess Orion didn't like it when people borrowed their friends program box to avoid buying one.
EJ2civic likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
More like $384.99

Orion now builds the cost of the programming box into the cost of the esc. I guess Orion didn't like it when people borrowed their friends program box to avoid buying one.
Jesus H Christo. Well, I'm just glad I never got hooked on Orion lol
Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Hmm, isn't Orion made by hobbywing?

So you are buying a hobbywing xr10 pro for twice the price, without the ability to adjust many of the parameters, and without on board programming, but you do have 32 bit programming for all the features you can't program and wifi built in, instead of a dongle. What could go wrong? But wait, for only $180 more than the xr10 pro, you get the padded carry case for the presentation value, for an esc that will be in the rc vehicle. What a deal!!

I will soon be releasing my new esc with gold plating at only $499. I will limit it to only 500 units, so you can be special. Any takers?

Last edited by billjacobs; 05-12-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
So you are buying a hobbywing xr10 pro for twice the price, without the ability to adjust many of the parameters, and without on board programming, but you do have 32 bit programming for all the features you can't program and wifi built in, instead of a dongle. What could go wrong? But wait, for only $180 more than the xr10 pro, you get the padded carry case for the presentation value, for an esc that will be in the rc vehicle. What a deal!!

I will soon be releasing my new esc with gold plating at only $499. I will limit it to only 500 units, so you can be special. Any takers?
A lot of assumptions here and I have to say most of them are wrong from what I have been told by reliable sources.

Are you taking pre-orders on your speed control?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

$385? WTF! That's more than some kits cost. Rcmart has them for $300, but that's still a $100 more than I'd spend for any esc. I'm gonna feel bad for those that buy it, especially when they're getting lapped. lol

I remember when the best esc didn't cost more than $200. At that time I thought consumers were getting ripped off. Good servos were less than $100, and multiple world championship winning 2wd with discount would be less than $200, $260 for a full carbon fiber b44. That was when I started this hobby. The new generation aren't as interested in rc and the ones that are, will be scared away by the prices. At least radio prices haven't changed much, at least for Ko propo. Always improving, and selling radios that are the best or as good as the best for the same price.

Ko was the one that started the expensive servo prices, but you could see and feel the difference in quality and performance. They are still the best servos, very responsive and manufactured well, .01mm tolerance for case and gears. That's why no one can match how smooth their gears are. Plus because of the accuracy, they have the least mount of backlash, which doesn't just result in quicker response, but durability also. Everyone else uses the machining method, but still not as accurate or well made as Ko propo rsx servos. The performance is noticeable when driving. How accurate it feels when driving is something else also. I've also got a brushless mks x6 599 servo, but ko is still the best. Cheapest place to buy from is rcmart, $135 for the hard case versions and even less for plastic ones that work well on 1/10 which don't need durability of metal case or extra weight.

Last edited by latentspeed; 05-22-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAE View Post
This is one of the lamest things I've heard. Could be wrong but also sounds like an attempt to squeeze the consumer to purchase additional units. Reminds me of the tactic of the 300 percent markup on the program card which is why I never tried the former ESC. Also, still doesn't make sense why you cannot adjust frequency or pulse width modulation. Very happy with my MaClan MMax esc where I can actually enjoy the benefits of a 32 bit ESC. Maybe Orca is a better bet than this if looking for a higher amperage 32 bit ESC, otherwise I'll stick with my maclan
You're not wrong. It's exactly that. These guy are giving themselves a pat on the back, but think they deserve extra credit and shoot prices up even more. I thought all companies improve their stuff with each new model, but the guys working at Orion, whose stuff is made by Hobbywing, think they went way above and beyond that. lol
Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mo money, mo problems. LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service