Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Team Orion HMX10 esc >

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Like Tree23Likes

Team Orion HMX10 esc

Old 12-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

I'm new to 1/10 buggy and started out with this esc. Thought I should share my experiance.
I started out with a yokomo yz2 we and this esc and it ran great with no issues. When I then started to make some small adjustments via android app it all begun. The esc didn't take the adjustments, couldn't see what setup that was currently running in the esc, the esc went back to default settings and so on.
Took a break from indoor racing during the summer and ran nitro (main class). Came back in september and put my gear in a new rig. This time it was Associated B6.1 carpet car. Drove the car for a few training sessions and realised that the car were to slow compared to other cars on the track. Tried to change settings via the android app but couldn't get it right, after a month and a half I were sick and tired on the the esc and my LHS sent me a R10.1 pro while they were updating my HMX.
I found that I didn't have the same feeling with the older esc but I could make all the adjustments in my box instead of an app and have all the speed I wanted. I got my updated hmx back and I could ran them back to back before I made my decision of which one I would keep. I drove them back to back a few sessions and came to the conclusion that the hmx is the best esc currently available right now.

PROS
Best feeling both on throttle and brake.
Very adjustable if you use the PC software, it is a must!
You can update it via their website.
Next generation esc compared to all the others mean that this is the forfront of escs on the market.

CONS
Latest firmwares are not available on their website compared what the sponserd drivers have.
Pricing compared to the other brands.
Next generation esc can make it hard to find good support.

This is my experiance, hope this helps!
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently installed an HMX 10 in it was pretty easy to setup and flash.

​​​​​​I am using it in a Yokomo YZ4 belt with a 13.5 R1 in blinky mode. The chassis is tight and a top mounted fan just tough to find space for. I do have cooling vents in my body to allow a lot of air to pass over the ESC. I run my car outdoor in South, Florida so the ambient temp can be about 95-100F.

Is a fan required with my setup?

​​​​​
​​​​
Old 01-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Fellas..... Longtime lurker of this thread and had to join to share this.

I have the 1.09 modified firmware!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also finally have usable reverse power!!!!! Anybody who wants to finally be able to make good use out of their very expensive esc's let me know!

Old 01-12-2020, 06:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lavaheadache View Post
Hey Fellas..... Longtime lurker of this thread and had to join to share this.

I have the 1.09 modified firmware!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also finally have usable reverse power!!!!! Anybody who wants to finally be able to make good use out of their very expensive esc's let me know!
Great, how can I get it?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

message sent
Old 02-24-2020, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anybody got tips on getting these esc's to connect to a new computer?

I used to use my laptop and it stopped working since microsoft doesn't support windows 7 anymore. So in the meantime I tried my desktop and it doesn't connect either. I downloaded the drivers linked in the manual and no matter what I tried nothing works. Any suggestions? I'd like to try that new 1.09 firmware and in general just turn down my punch settings.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does the laptop still work or is it just that win7 is no longer supported? End of support doesn't stop the laptop operating but don't try to go online with that machine. If the laptop still works just disconnect it from any network, turn off wifi and Bluetooth also and then use it to update the esc. If you need software just download it from any other machine you have and transfer it to the laptop by portable hard drive, flash drive or other available media, that way you don't open the vulnerable computer up to the internet.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only difference between now and last time I used the laptop is the windows update and time, and it worked effortlessly before.

But it looks like the cable went bad, as I bought a new one and everything works on my desktop. I'll try my laptop another day but I assume it works.

As a tip from a friend that has used HMX's for years he said buy usb cables with thicker wire. I think that's the 22 gauge vs 24g of cheaper stuff, but just something to keep in mind. Funny I was so frustrated at it not working and my new phone being usb type c, I didn't and couldn't immediately try a new cable. Fun stuff.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy HMX10 does not throttle

My brand new controller HMX10 does not throttle.

8V from the battery, but 0V between the 3 wires that link HMX10 to the Orion Ultimate, whatever the transmitter position.
No problem for reading ESC. The calibration of the transmitter is OK.
The receptor is SR315. Steering works. Even if I swift ST and TH.

I need help! Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is anyone else having problem with connecting the esc to a phone (android). Works fine with PC, but using the same cable with phone adapter don't work. Do you need their specific cable or is it something else? Have tried different phones but none ia working. Seems to be a great esc otherwise.