Search
Like Tree20Likes

Spektrum DX5R

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dang... sold out at Amain already....
Hopefully hear some good reports from those that did get one.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Any one have a part number for the wedges needed to adjust the angle of the wheel?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

I got one on Saturday, broke the return spring on the throttle trigger on my 3r a long time ago and just got around to replacing it with a 5r. it doesn't bind to my micro sr3300? or my orange receivers. the receiver it comes with is huge, bigger than a esc
Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Should be able to use the SR 2010 and SR 2100 receivers with this radio. I know that you have to buy them separately.....
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

duplicate post sorry
Old 04-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tylem28
awesome! would love to see one in person. what case would you use with this?
Transmitter Case: DX6R (SPM6719)

Originally Posted by lowspark
Any one have a part number for the wedges needed to adjust the angle of the wheel?
Wedges, 10/15 Degree: DX6R (SPM9053)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

so who's used one and has some feedback? Currently using a dx4c and looking to upgrade. Worth the money? Don't need all the channels. What benefits would this have over the dx4c?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tylem28
so who's used one and has some feedback? Currently using a dx4c and looking to upgrade. Worth the money? Don't need all the channels. What benefits would this have over the dx4c?
anyone?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Collin is using this radio for the first time here at Psycho Nitro. It has performed flawlessly all weekend he really like the feel of it. We put in four new models and navigation is easy and straight forward. If you are looking to upgrade your radio give this one a look.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

May 1st is the new date for the second batch to the hobby shops.

Can anyone tell me if radio has the option for a regular steering wheel vs the drop down? None of the promo pictures show the steering wheel in the normal position.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowspark
May 1st is the new date for the second batch to the hobby shops.

Can anyone tell me if radio has the option for a regular steering wheel vs the drop down? None of the promo pictures show the steering wheel in the normal position.
The manual shows how to take the dropdown off
Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

thanks...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I purchased this radio a couple weeks ago. So far I am very happy with it and think it is a good alternative to the DX6R. I do wish the grip was textured or ribbed like the DX4R Pro because it does feel a little slippery. The only real complaint I have is the fact that the battery door is held on by those two little screws instead of a door that snaps in. The reason I say this is because there is no charge port on this radio. Every time you need to change batteries or charge your battery you will have to remove the screws. Over time the threads will become loose or the screws are so small you could easily lose one. I contacted Spektrum and asked why it was designed this way and tech support had no answer for me. If you remove the battery tray there are two ports inside the base. One is for the battery tray and what the second is for tech support couldn't tell me either. There is also a small slot in the battery door but tech support had no idea what it was for. I am looking to see if there is a way to mod the radio so you don't have to remove the battery but have not figured it out just yet. My local hobby shop still has one available if anyone is looking for one. Just PM me and I will give you their number.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default DX5R rechargeable battery mod

Originally Posted by Deadfrog Racing
I purchased this radio a couple weeks ago. So far I am very happy with it and think it is a good alternative to the DX6R. I do wish the grip was textured or ribbed like the DX4R Pro because it does feel a little slippery. The only real complaint I have is the fact that the battery door is held on by those two little screws instead of a door that snaps in. The reason I say this is because there is no charge port on this radio. Every time you need to change batteries or charge your battery you will have to remove the screws. Over time the threads will become loose or the screws are so small you could easily lose one. I contacted Spektrum and asked why it was designed this way and tech support had no answer for me. If you remove the battery tray there are two ports inside the base. One is for the battery tray and what the second is for tech support couldn't tell me either. There is also a small slot in the battery door but tech support had no idea what it was for. I am looking to see if there is a way to mod the radio so you don't have to remove the battery but have not figured it out just yet. My local hobby shop still has one available if anyone is looking for one. Just PM me and I will give you their number.
I agree and don't understand why they would design this so terrible. My theory is that they are going to come out with a battery pack that will have a charge port at the opening at the bottom of the batt. door. or it will slide into a charging dock. I however already had to change Batteries twice and am already tired of having to remove the batt door. I never had to do this with my DX4R. I do not want to wait until this batt pack and or dock comes out,
so I just did this exact mod today. It's not hard however, its is somewhat nerve racking as you have to dismantle the remote. Its pretty easy to do you just have to remember to remove the very small screw at the base of the antennae then carefully remove the left half of the remote from the right and make a few cuts in the battery tray and bam Lithium Ion battery pack with a charge port. Here is what you need:

International air transmitter AC adapter Part number: SPM9551

lithium ion battery pack part number: SPMA9602.

You have to open the battery pack to expose the 7.4v battery pack seen on page 1 of this post. Also you will find the charge board that the battery plugs into inside the pack remove it and the battery.
You will notice the charge port is firmly attached to the charge board. All you have to do is cut a notch into the battery door for the charge port to slide into. (the charge port is square and has a channel that allows it to slide tongue and groove type system.
Now is the more difficult part. you have to remove the grip and take out the all the screws in order to remove the left side of the remote from the right. all of electronics with the exception of the antenna are mounted on the right side of the remote so no pieces go springing out or anything. Important: dont forget the screws in the front of the remote below the orange light. This holds on to the end piece that needs to be removed in order to allow the halves to separate. Once this is done you have to cut a section in the rear section of the battery compartment so as to clear the new battery circuit board. As I write this I suppose you could cut this area out without taking apart the receiver but I wanted it to be a bit easier for me. Ok moving on. once you have cut the rear support area all you have to do is put it back together, plug it in and bam! You now have a DX5R with a rechargeable 2s lithium ion battery pack. It can be done and easily too. The whole gig took me around 45mins-1hr to do.

I tried to upload pics but they are too large and I can't remember how to shrink them so that I can upload them. So Sorry. I'll look and see if I can find a program that shrinks pics for uploading. I'm pretty sure I had one on my old computer.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum DX5R-20170422_154123.jpg   Spektrum DX5R-charge-port-complete.jpg  
token likes this.

Last edited by THEMANFZ1; 04-22-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How do you add wedges to the DX5r? Do you remove the steering wheel wires from the wheel end or from inside the radio? The crappy instructions say to remove the 2 wiring harness from inside the transmitter one with 6 wires and the other with 7. However, there is only one harness with 10 wires that one wire connects to another harness deeper in the tx that is impossible to get to. and removing the two from directly behind the wheel seems difficult too as there is only one harness and the other 3 wires are not in a harness but attached the back of the wheel. So if anyone has any tips they are appreciated. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.