Search
Like Tree20Likes

Spektrum DX5R

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Lanyard mod

Okay so this is a nice radio but it's missing a lanyard. So I decided to make one of my own. Initially I have the lanyard wrapped around the base like everyone else however, I figure there's got to be a better way so I ordered this threaded camera connecting adapter and added it to the remote. Initially I was going to put it on the backside of the remote where there is a round grommet plug. However, I'm right handed and the lanyard would be in my way while driving. So I then decided to put it on the base right side of the handle as in the picture. I would have to drill a hole and attach a nut to the under side. As I was about to take the transmitter apart I noticed that one of the screw holes matches the size of the threads on the connector so I Simply Shredded it into the plastic and voila a solidly affixed lanyard connector. With no drilling required. Got to love it. Hope you guys enjoy the mod.

The connector
Spektrum DX5R-50.jpg
The side placement option
Spektrum DX5R-20170526_014312.jpg
The screw hole
Spektrum DX5R-20170526_014428.jpg
the connector installed
Spektrum DX5R-20170526_014525.jpg
The lanyard attached and ready to go
Spektrum DX5R-20170526_014600.jpg
slowsrc likes this.

Last edited by THEMANFZ1; 05-26-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEMANFZ1
Okay so this is a nice radio but it's missing a lanyard. So I decided to make one of my own. Initially I have the lanyard wrapped around the base like everyone else however, I figure there's got to be a better way so I ordered this threaded camera connecting adapter and added it to the remote. Initially I was going to put it on the backside of the remote where there is a round grommet plug. However, I'm right handed and the lanyard would be in my way while driving. So I then decided to put it on the base right side of the handle as in the picture. I would have to drill a hole and attach a nut to the under side. As I was about to take the transmitter apart I noticed that one of the screw holes matches the size of the threads on the connector so I Simply Shredded it into the plastic and voila a solidly affixed lanyard connector. With no drilling required. Got to love it. Hope you guys enjoy the mod.

The connector
Attachment 1428368
The side placement option
Attachment 1428369
The screw hole
Attachment 1428370
the connector installed
Attachment 1428371
The lanyard attached and ready to go
Attachment 1428372
Awesome !! can I ask where and PN# for the connector ?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slowsrc
Awesome !! can I ask where and PN# for the connector ?
Here is a ebay link but if you do a search for:
1-4-034-Screw-Connecting-Adapter-Alloy-for-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Camcorder-Quick-Strap 1-4-034-Screw-Connecting-Adapter-Alloy-for-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Camcorder-Quick-Strap 1-4-034-Screw-Connecting-Adapter-Alloy-for-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Camcorder-Quick-Strap 1-4-034-Screw-Connecting-Adapter-Alloy-for-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Camcorder-Quick-Strap Have one to sell? Sell now Details about 1/4" Screw Connecting Adapter Alloy for Camera SLR DSLR Camcorder Quick Strap

It should bring up several options. Cheap and easy way to add a lanyard.
slowsrc likes this.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default DX5R is some what a disappointment

Had it about a month. DX4R profiles are incompatible. had to redo the important ones by hand. Im using the ion battery also.

So last weekend im at the r aces and enter 4 class (normal MO for me) and decided to recharge battery between heat 1 and 2. got up on the stand and powered up radio, well all most powered up. it display a "RAW INPUT SCREEN".

couldnt get by it no matter what. Monday called spektrum and they said please send it back for a reset. What? there is no firmware update yet on the website. Looked around an see the dx6 aircraft radio has similar issues.

Wonder whats up?? Will it happen again? Ran the DX4R for several years without any issue like this.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayzcar
Thanks for the heads up. Will discharge the battery down. I did email Spektrum in case they have another recommendation.
Just updating regarding using the SPMB2000LITX LiIon battery with my DX5R. Reply from support:

"The radio needs a hardware change to support that battery pack. You'll need to send it in for it to become compatible. As shipped, it only supports NiMH and Alkaline."

Uh... no. As previously mentioned by other posters, once the voltage drops to low 8s or 7s, it will turn off without vibrating.

Support also suggested to run the update which I did via SD card even though it was the same version, so I no longer get the "registration" screen when I turn it off.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayzcar
Just updating regarding using the SPMB2000LITX LiIon battery with my DX5R. Reply from support:

"The radio needs a hardware change to support that battery pack. You'll need to send it in for it to become compatible. As shipped, it only supports NiMH and Alkaline."

Uh... no. As previously mentioned by other posters, once the voltage drops to low 8s or 7s, it will turn off without vibrating.

Support also suggested to run the update which I did via SD card even though it was the same version, so I no longer get the "registration" screen when I turn it off.
Did installing the update solve the registration issue?

FWIW, my radio has options for Nimh, Alkaline, LiIon, and Lipo, and has never been sent back. Perhaps it's already a running change in production.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nope, despite having menu options for all 4 battery types, my remote vibrates continuously when you power it down if the SPMB2000LITX LiIon battery is over 8V.

I'm having trouble running the 1.00 update to get rid of the registration nag screen. I used the same micro SD card to update the firmware on my back-up DX4R Pro which worked fine. I've tried reformatting it and even tired a different file system with no luck. The radio just turns on like normal despite the SD card being inserted with only the back-up file on it, in the root directory. If I go into the System setup screen, the radio acknowledges there's an SD card inserted in one of those menus so I know it "sees" the card. Frustrating.

Aside from those two issues, I like the DX5R much better than the DX6R I just sold. The Android platform just added a whole lot of instability and battery drain. The basic monochrome screen is much more akin to the reliable DX4R I'm replacing. Now that I swapped over the large grip and a wheel wedge from the 6R, it's setup perfectly.

Now to do something about this battery door...
Old 06-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fweasel
Nope, despite having menu options for all 4 battery types, my remote vibrates continuously when you power it down if the SPMB2000LITX LiIon battery is over 8V.

I'm having trouble running the 1.00 update to get rid of the registration nag screen. I used the same micro SD card to update the firmware on my back-up DX4R Pro which worked fine. I've tried reformatting it and even tired a different file system with no luck. The radio just turns on like normal despite the SD card being inserted with only the back-up file on it, in the root directory. If I go into the System setup screen, the radio acknowledges there's an SD card inserted in one of those menus so I know it "sees" the card. Frustrating.

Aside from those two issues, I like the DX5R much better than the DX6R I just sold. The Android platform just added a whole lot of instability and battery drain. The basic monochrome screen is much more akin to the reliable DX4R I'm replacing. Now that I swapped over the large grip and a wheel wedge from the 6R, it's setup perfectly.

Do the battery mod that I did. I haven't had to open the door since. I do however, get the vibrating when over 8v but easier to deal with than having to open that damn door and eventually strip out the screws. In regards to the registration screen just push on the selection wheel and off it goes. Its an extra unnecessary step but what can you do. I agree with what you said about the android platform. That's actually what kept me from buying it in the first place. I mean plenty of my android phones have almost been thrown out of the car window and a few actually have met their fate in that manner so when I found out that there was a new radio to replace my 4R I was all over it until I found out it had android. I held out only to see several guys at my track suffer from issues with their new 6R. When the 5R came out I was 1st in line. I had initially wondered why they went from 4R to 6R but now I see that it was a good decision by Spektrum. They knew that if they put out the 5R first no one would buy the 6R. Sly bastards. Now if they could only make them so we don't have to mod them that would be great.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Been looking at the 5X real hard after seeing issues with the 6. Think I'll stay with what I have as issues are still popping up
Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

Do any of the "orange" receivers work with the DX5R or any other after market ones work?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEMANFZ1
Do any of the "orange" receivers work with the DX5R or any other after market ones work?
One of my cars has the orange SR3100 receivers.

My battery mod was creating a Y connector to go along with my LiIon battery with an inline switch from a busted Novak ESC where the standard opening in the battery door is. I also added another opening to pull out the connector to charge the battery. I just cover the opening with electrical tape (and over the switch so it doesn't turn off if when I set it down). The switch is for disconnecting the battery from the transmitter when not in use or charging the battery. It functions well even though it's not that aesthetically pleasing. It would also help turn off the transmitter if it was still havng the vibration issue.

Last edited by rayzcar; 06-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Where do you get these orange SR3100 receivers?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fweasel

I just had the exact same issue with the updates and talked to a guy at Horizon. He recommended using only SanDisk or Toshiba SD cards. I switched over to a SanDisk and tried again... problem solved.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Fix for "raw input screen is firmware version 1.1.03.

went through upgrade firmware procedure per manual and completed raw input testing.
Next popped up at bottom and completing the additional question took me to the normal power up screen, YES!!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Spektrum™ DX5R RaceWare™ 2017- June - 21

Change Log Version 1.01.03

New Features
Model Import/Export - Users are now able to share model setting via the micro SD Card and Transfer SD Card menu.
Language Support- German, Spanish and Italian have been added to System Setup menu. Previously only English and French were supported.
Alarm Options- Options for the low battery and inactivity alarms that include Inhibit, Tone, Vibe, Tone and Vibe have been added

Improvements
In the Systems Settings menu, the scroll function is more intuitively and predictably. Drive Modes are now properly added and removed
Trim box options at the bottom of the main screen are more accurately displayed
MOA switch assignment is now unassigned when MOA is inhibited
AWS Screen allows the option to set the Switch setting back to INH
Drive Mode 1 allows a rate change to be made when Drive Modes are enabled
AVC switch options now include Inhibit, drive mode and switch I
Steering Override and OTF is now available on the Steering channel under the Rates Menu
Switch position set to Toggle a channel now appropriately drives the output channel
On the MOA screen the switch position indicator is no longer displayed when MOA is inhibited
Switching between Drive Modes now emits a tone to indicate change
Drive Mode Names are now being properly displayed on the main screen
Drive Modes are properly changed using the three position switch
Drive Mode # is properly shown on the Main Screen
In the Traction screen, trimmer direction in no longer visible when Traction is inhibited Exiting the Model Select screen is now easily done with the BACK button

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.