Like Tree13Likes

Spektrum DX5R

Old 04-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I want to give a big thanks to "THEMANFZ1" for this battery mod. It is exactly what Spektrum should have designed the DX5R with. I will be ordering the parts and doing the mod.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THEMANFZ1 View Post
I agree and don't understand why they would design this so terrible. My theory is that they are going to come out with a battery pack that will have a charge port at the opening at the bottom of the batt. door. or it will slide into a charging dock. I however already had to change Batteries twice and am already tired of having to remove the batt door. I never had to do this with my DX4R. I do not want to wait until this batt pack and or dock comes out,
so I just did this exact mod today. It's not hard however, its is somewhat nerve racking as you have to dismantle the remote. Its pretty easy to do you just have to remember to remove the very small screw at the base of the antennae then carefully remove the left half of the remote from the right and make a few cuts in the battery tray and bam Lithium Ion battery pack with a charge port. Here is what you need:

International air transmitter AC adapter Part number: SPM9551

lithium ion battery pack part number: SPMA9602.

You have to open the battery pack to expose the 7.4v battery pack seen on page 1 of this post. Also you will find the charge board that the battery plugs into inside the pack remove it and the battery.
You will notice the charge port is firmly attached to the charge board. All you have to do is cut a notch into the battery door for the charge port to slide into. (the charge port is square and has a channel that allows it to slide tongue and groove type system.
Now is the more difficult part. you have to remove the grip and take out the all the screws in order to remove the left side of the remote from the right. all of electronics with the exception of the antenna are mounted on the right side of the remote so no pieces go springing out or anything. Important: dont forget the screws in the front of the remote below the orange light. This holds on to the end piece that needs to be removed in order to allow the halves to separate. Once this is done you have to cut a section in the rear section of the battery compartment so as to clear the new battery circuit board. As I write this I suppose you could cut this area out without taking apart the receiver but I wanted it to be a bit easier for me. Ok moving on. once you have cut the rear support area all you have to do is put it back together, plug it in and bam! You now have a DX5R with a rechargeable 2s lithium ion battery pack. It can be done and easily too. The whole gig took me around 45mins-1hr to do.

I tried to upload pics but they are too large and I can't remember how to shrink them so that I can upload them. So Sorry. I'll look and see if I can find a program that shrinks pics for uploading. I'm pretty sure I had one on my old computer.

Cheers.
Here is the batt pack and what the parts look like.
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum DX5R-batt-pack.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

a gold star for themanfz1 today....
Old 04-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lowspark View Post
a gold star for themanfz1 today....
Thanks. Now, if I could only figure out where to disconnect the steering wheel and add a wedge...
Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. Now, if I could only figure out where to disconnect the steering wheel and add a wedge...
Ok so I called tech help and apparently the manual is incorrect in describing the harness. You do have to remove the 2 harnesses from inside the transmitter and have fun trying to get them plugged in again. One of the harnesses is small , very small and you have to line it up inside and behind the part of the transmitter cover. After much frustration and anger at the ridiculous design flaw I had to use some tweezers, some cursing and scotch to get them plugged back in. Luckily I selected the correct wedge because I am NOT doing that again. I can't believe that in the DX6R the plugs are front and center and easy to get to. I can't believe that they had to do so much re-configuring to deconstruct the DX5R. Also, would it kill them to add a damn lanyard attachment to the radios? Ok rant over.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the follow up Manfz...
Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I ordered my radio today. I should have it in hand by Friday... WoooHooo!!

Unfortunately, the optional wedges are not available (Horizon is the only place that carries them it seems). And the Spectrum website says they should be available Sept???

Dang Nab... that is one of the main reasons I was buying this radio was for the ergonomics available...
Old 04-30-2017, 05:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Anyone not using their wedges??
That I could possibly beg, borrrow, or steal from them??

Willing to buy, and or would replace with new when they become available.

Thanks
Cliff
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

DX5R
Small font, lith-ion issue (wont stay cycled down, powers up by itself. ok with 4 AA batt), unalbe to move profile from DX4R - 25 new entries is a pain.

Has nice feel. reason unknown the 17.5 buggy seems much faster. did bind to 3100 at 16ms (maybe just resetting max travel with esc makes the difference).

update:

with ion batt at 8.1 it shuts off normally. not sure of the reason.

P.S. love the smooth scroll roller

Last edited by dombrowh; 05-01-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok so I called tech help and apparently the manual is incorrect in describing the harness. You do have to remove the 2 harnesses from inside the transmitter and have fun trying to get them plugged in again. One of the harnesses is small , very small and you have to line it up inside and behind the part of the transmitter cover. After much frustration and anger at the ridiculous design flaw I had to use some tweezers, some cursing and scotch to get them plugged back in. Luckily I selected the correct wedge because I am NOT doing that again. I can't believe that in the DX6R the plugs are front and center and easy to get to. I can't believe that they had to do so much re-configuring to deconstruct the DX5R. Also, would it kill them to add a damn lanyard attachment to the radios? Ok rant over.
Would you suggest cutting the wires and soldering on a deans micro plug in order to make the change easier next time?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lowspark View Post
Would you suggest cutting the wires and soldering on a deans micro plug in order to make the change easier next time?
If you have good soldering skills then yes I think this will make it much easier especially if your going to be switching the wedges often or needing to make adjustment often. I'm going to do a lanyard mod here in the next couple of weeks that I will post. Basically doing everything to the damn radio that should have been a stock option. Just keep in mind that these "mods" might void the warranty.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Servo speed

Can this radio slow down the speed of the servo, the same as the dx6R?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by r schowengerdt View Post
Can this radio slow down the speed of the servo, the same as the dx6R?
Yup.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Yup.
Thank you Mark k
Mark K likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

WoooHoooo......
Got home from racing last night a package was sitting on my desk in the man cave!!!

Resisted the urge to play with it last night, as it was late. Opened up the box this am and way cool... new radio after 5 years (the hours record on my DX3R shows 329 hrs), so excited to start playing with it today.

First note... the grip is smooth vs the textured handle... and I will need to get the larger grip to fit my hand better.

Second note... my my my there are a lot of buttons on the wheel and handle...

Now, its time to put some batteries in and turn this sucker on...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service