Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Which radio/reciever? >

Which radio/reciever?

Which radio/reciever?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Which radio/reciever?

I am just getting back into the Rc world after over 25 years break of being in the hobby. Had an original RC10 back in the late 80's, early 90's. I had Futaba back then. I just recently purchased a TLR 8ight 4.0 and trying to figure out Futaba or Sanwa/Airtronics. Also do I need the $130 radio or should I save and get something higher end? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fbodykiller
I am just getting back into the Rc world after over 25 years break of being in the hobby. Had an original RC10 back in the late 80's, early 90's. I had Futaba back then. I just recently purchased a TLR 8ight 4.0 and trying to figure out Futaba or Sanwa/Airtronics. Also do I need the $130 radio or should I save and get something higher end? Thanks in advance.
You can't really go wrong with either the Futaba or Sanwa radios. I personally prefer Sanwa but in my experience both radios perform equally in reliability and speed. And it all just comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend.

In the mid-range you can get the Futaba 4pk, or the Sanwa MT-4s which both pretty much do the same thing and get in done in a snap. Build quality is great on both and both companies stand by their products.

Then you have the high end models that don't offer much else in the way of speed bonuses or range, but they do usually have a lot of custom features that allow you to adjust the remote to fit your hand better or be more ergonomic. And probably a few more programmable buttons for fast switching on race days.

So it just comes down to what you feel you need and how much you want to spend because you'll be happy with either manufacturer.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
You can't really go wrong with either the Futaba or Sanwa radios. I personally prefer Sanwa but in my experience both radios perform equally in reliability and speed. And it all just comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend.

In the mid-range you can get the Futaba 4pk, or the Sanwa MT-4s which both pretty much do the same thing and get in done in a snap. Build quality is great on both and both companies stand by their products.

Then you have the high end models that don't offer much else in the way of speed bonuses or range, but they do usually have a lot of custom features that allow you to adjust the remote to fit your hand better or be more ergonomic. And probably a few more programmable buttons for fast switching on race days.

So it just comes down to what you feel you need and how much you want to spend because you'll be happy with either manufacturer.

You stated in the mid-range the Futaba 4pk and Sanwa MT-4s, isn't the 4pk the flagship for Futaba?

I'm really curious too in regards to finding a decent middle of the road radio setup but shelling out 600 bucks for the 4pk is just totally out of the question.

What are your thoughts on the 4pls or other options in the 150 to 200ish range?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The 4pv is the new mid range futaba, 4px is the high end. The 4pv has the same latency as a high end spektrum, so it's a good option to save some coin. I went from a 4pl (there mid range at the time) to a 4pksr and don't notice any difference beyond some of the features I now need and use (for combat robots mixing, the 4pl was more then enough when racing) so yes, even the 3pv is a very valid option for racing. I don't think you'll ever find a need for anything more then the 4pv unless you're doing something more then racing that may need some of the odd features of the 4px, but the high end radios are really cool
Old 12-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rizen
You stated in the mid-range the Futaba 4pk and Sanwa MT-4s, isn't the 4pk the flagship for Futaba?

I'm really curious too in regards to finding a decent middle of the road radio setup but shelling out 600 bucks for the 4pk is just totally out of the question.

What are your thoughts on the 4pls or other options in the 150 to 200ish range?
Haha sorry I got the 4pk mixed up with the 4pv. The 4pv is their mid range remote and I would get either that or the Sanwa mt-4s. Just depends on which one you like the look of more. Both will give you the same performance for a similar price.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

My only hesitation about the Futaba's is the cost of the telemetry stuff. Was thinking as I get into more rc stuff and having a couple bashing rc's for messing around with in the summer/winter, having a live temp reading of the motor would be a great thing, as well as the battery juice. But outfitting more than one rc with the telemetry and wow, those addons start to really add up.

How are the spektrum and sanwa for their telemetry stuff?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

My only hesitation about the Futaba's is the cost of the telemetry stuff. Was thinking as I get into more rc stuff and having a couple bashing rc's for messing around with in the summer/winter, having a live temp reading of the motor would be a great thing, as well as the battery juice. But outfitting more than one rc with the telemetry and wow, those addons start to really add up.

How are the spektrum and sanwa for their telemetry stuff?
Spektrum will probably be the cheaper route but i'd stay away from them if you can. After working in a hobby shop for a couple years I've had to resolve more issues with Spektrum radios than any other. And the telemetry setup is totally optional. You can just have some of your bashers setup without telemetry and keep the telemetry units on race vehicles. And maybe as you save up money you can add telemetry to your other cars. And the price difference between the Sanwa and Futaba telemetry equipment is pretty negligible. It's pricey any way you slice it so just find a radio you like that has the features you want and you'll be happy with it but again id stay away from Spektrum if you can. Especially if your other options are Sanwa and Futaba
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Spektrum will probably be the cheaper route but i'd stay away from them if you can. After working in a hobby shop for a couple years I've had to resolve more issues with Spektrum radios than any other. And the telemetry setup is totally optional. You can just have some of your bashers setup without telemetry and keep the telemetry units on race vehicles. And maybe as you save up money you can add telemetry to your other cars. And the price difference between the Sanwa and Futaba telemetry equipment is pretty negligible. It's pricey any way you slice it so just find a radio you like that has the features you want and you'll be happy with it but again id stay away from Spektrum if you can. Especially if your other options are Sanwa and Futaba
Ahh, yea, I was thinking telemetry on bashers, racers w/o (Not sure if telemtry for engine temps etc are permitted for racing)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Ahh, yea, I was thinking telemetry on bashers, racers w/o (Not sure if telemtry for engine temps etc are permitted for racing)
You should be able to use telemetry in races. I don't see why not. They just give you information they don't help you cheat. But I haven't been through the whole ROAR rules to know for sure.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You should be able to use telemetry in races. I don't see why not. They just give you information they don't help you cheat. But I haven't been through the whole ROAR rules to know for sure.
With live telemetry, you can push the motor harder and be able to tweak throttle application to prevent melting the motor.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am also a past hobby shop employee (2 1/2 years I think until I got a real job) and spektrum surface radios are just so bad. Futaba and airtronics is the only way to go. Telemetry is expensive for the futaba but I don't think it's necessary really, a temp gun is a whole lot cheaper then having it done remotely
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
I am also a past hobby shop employee (2 1/2 years I think until I got a real job) and spektrum surface radios are just so bad. Futaba and airtronics is the only way to go. Telemetry is expensive for the futaba but I don't think it's necessary really, a temp gun is a whole lot cheaper then having it done remotely
Being very new to RC, when people refer to Airtronic, do they mean Sanwa or is Airtronic still making/rebranding radios?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
With live telemetry, you can push the motor harder and be able to tweak throttle application to prevent melting the motor.
Nice story but during races you never have the time to take a look on your transmitter. Even during a pitstop you must be very good to reed and understand the info. For a basher it is more usefull but nu issue to go on the limit.

My opinion:
Futaba has always been the best brand with the best range. Futaba is also the one with the cheapest receivers because there are no advanced electronics inside for the telemetry sensors, that is why the sensors are more expensive. A telemetry receiver (S-bus) will cost you about 55 dollar, a non telemetry just 35 dollar while Sanwa receivers are dubble the price.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I run an Airtronics MX-V radio and have never had a single issue.....not ever. It's not the latest whiz-bang transmitter with all the programming, but has enough features for most racers. Best value in the under $100 range.

I bought a new Futaba 3PV but didn't like it much and sold it almost immediately. The transmitter felt toy-like and I didn't like the trigger.

Last edited by SteveM; 01-03-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Being very new to RC, when people refer to Airtronic, do they mean Sanwa or is Airtronic still making/rebranding radios?
Yes Sanwa and Airtronics are the same. It does get confusing lol. Especially since now Sanwa is taking the front seat and their airtronics brand is kind of getting shafted. But the quality is still top notch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.