Castle Creations Mamba X

Castle Creations Mamba X

Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Castle Creations Mamba X

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0155-00

New ESC with some impressive specs.

The Mamba X is extremely versatile, capable of powering a wide variety of applications ranging from 2S to 6S and vehicles ranging from 1/10th scale to 1/8th scale*. Whether you are racing at the track with your 2wd buggy, bashing through mud puddles in your SCT or monster truck, or navigating a hardcore crawling excursion, this controller raises the bar to a whole new level.

ESCs have a tough life - landing extreme jumps, experiencing accidental collisions, and splashing through the occasional puddle. As R/C enthusiast themselves, Castle engineers understand this and designed the Mamba X to endure these situations and power through them. It is housed in a rugged CNC-machined aluminum case and then potted in waterproof epoxy. This not only protects the electronics but ensures any heat generated in the controller can easily be dissipated through the case.

The high performance Mamba X includes an integrated and powerful 8A adjustable BEC and can push the most extreme 1/10th scale setups and 1/8th scale* race buggies. SmartSense allows you to take advantage of smooth, cog-free, and predictable sensored starts, and Castle’s new and improved throttle response keeps you ahead of the competition.

The Mamba X is proudly designed and manufactured in Olathe, Kansas and is backed by Castle Creations’ 1-year warranty and unparalleled "make-it-right" customer support. Call us, email us, or walk in our front door – we’re here to help

Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Old 12-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowsrc View Post
Nice.. I have been real happy with Castle products lately.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...sc-010-0155-00

New ESC with some impressive specs.

The Mamba X is extremely versatile, capable of powering a wide variety of applications ranging from 2S to 6S and vehicles ranging from 1/10th scale to 1/8th scale*. Whether you are racing at the track with your 2wd buggy, bashing through mud puddles in your SCT or monster truck, or navigating a hardcore crawling excursion, this controller raises the bar to a whole new level.

ESCs have a tough life - landing extreme jumps, experiencing accidental collisions, and splashing through the occasional puddle. As R/C enthusiast themselves, Castle engineers understand this and designed the Mamba X to endure these situations and power through them. It is housed in a rugged CNC-machined aluminum case and then potted in waterproof epoxy. This not only protects the electronics but ensures any heat generated in the controller can easily be dissipated through the case.

The high performance Mamba X includes an integrated and powerful 8A adjustable BEC and can push the most extreme 1/10th scale setups and 1/8th scale* race buggies. SmartSense allows you to take advantage of smooth, cog-free, and predictable sensored starts, and Castle’s new and improved throttle response keeps you ahead of the competition.

The Mamba X is proudly designed and manufactured in Olathe, Kansas and is backed by Castle Creations’ 1-year warranty and unparalleled "make-it-right" customer support. Call us, email us, or walk in our front door – we’re here to help

How many amps is this esc
Old 12-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slap View Post
How many amps is this esc
Ok this answer is going to be a little bit technical and a little bit diplomatic, but I'll try to answer it as best I can.

We publish current ratings for our air ESCs but we never publish an official number for our surface ESC's because it's much harder to generate a meaningful number. This is because of the way the current spikes and settles under hard acceleration. On aircraft the throttle is usually much more consistent, so a continuous number makes more sense. Cars are typically hard on the throttle for a short burst and then hard on the brakes. You typically spend very little time at a constant speed or amp draw.

In our air ESC's our standard test uses a coupled pair of motors, one being driven by the ESC(in 5mph airflow), the other hooked up to a modified controller that provides a constant braking force onto the drive motor. These motors are spun up to 100% throttle and then a braking load is applied. The input current is measured with a calibrated current clamp and then once a desired current is found the setup is then run at a constant current for 5 minutes. If the ESC makes it the full 5 minutes, then it is cooled to room temperature and then tested again at a slightly higher constant current. If the ESC goes into thermal shutdown before the 5 minutes is up then it fails and we use a lower number for our rating.

We do this same test for our car controllers so we know how they compare to each other, but we don't publish these numbers because they are not a comparable number to what the rest of the market publishes. This is the main reason we don't publish these numbers. If we marketed it as what we call it internally, everyone would think we had a inferior product. We don't want to have to lie to our customers by publishing an inflated number to appear competitive. We have performed our standard test on some other brand ESCs to know how they compare and typically their numbers are pretty far off. We tested a 'Stock' ESC that was rated as a 60amp continuous, 280 amp peak; Our continuous number for it was something like 24 amps, and the ESC blew up when we hit it with a short burst of 120 amps.

What really matters is the number of MOSFETs that are used in the construction of the ESC. The more MOSFETs, the more power it can handle because of lower resistance and the more surface area to pull the heat from them. Like the Mamba Max Pro the Mamba X ESC has 18 MOSFETs, a Mamba Micro X has 6, a Sidewinder SV3 has 12, a Mamba Monster X has 30, and a Mamba XLX has 48. All 'Stock' spec ESC's that I have seen have 6 MOSFETs. Most 'Mod' spec ESC's have 12. We also use large copper bus bars on our boards to lower the resistance of the board, and potting the controller help by providing a thermal mass and in this ESC thermally linking the board to the aluminum case for better cooling. These help raise the current handling capabilities of the ESC. For example, the Mamba Monster 2 has 36 MOSFETS, but didn't have any bus bars on it, because of this the 30 MOSFET Monster X has the same current handling capability. If we followed the ratings that our competitors use, the Mamba X would probably be a 180-200 amp continuous controller, but we would never call it that.

I have seen this ESC paired with our 1512 1800kv and 2650kv sensored motors in a 1/8 scale buggy run complete packs to low voltage cutoff on a outdoor track on an 80 degree day. When pulled into the pits, the motor was warmer than the ESC. Running in a 1/8th scale buggy on 4s is an approved setup for this ESC. The Mamba X should be plenty capable of running pretty much any 1/10th scale setup(provided a good motor, gearing and voltage is selected). We like to think this is one of the few ESC's that you could using in your 1/8th scale buggy in the summer months and then swap it into your stadium truck or buggy for running indoors in the winter.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok this answer is going to be a little bit technical and a little bit diplomatic, but I'll try to answer it as best I can.

We publish current ratings for our air ESCs but we never publish an official number for our surface ESC's because it's much harder to generate a meaningful number. This is because of the way the current spikes and settles under hard acceleration. On aircraft the throttle is usually much more consistent, so a continuous number makes more sense. Cars are typically hard on the throttle for a short burst and then hard on the brakes. You typically spend very little time at a constant speed or amp draw.

In our air ESC's our standard test uses a coupled pair of motors, one being driven by the ESC(in 5mph airflow), the other hooked up to a modified controller that provides a constant braking force onto the drive motor. These motors are spun up to 100% throttle and then a braking load is applied. The input current is measured with a calibrated current clamp and then once a desired current is found the setup is then run at a constant current for 5 minutes. If the ESC makes it the full 5 minutes, then it is cooled to room temperature and then tested again at a slightly higher constant current. If the ESC goes into thermal shutdown before the 5 minutes is up then it fails and we use a lower number for our rating.

We do this same test for our car controllers so we know how they compare to each other, but we don't publish these numbers because they are not a comparable number to what the rest of the market publishes. This is the main reason we don't publish these numbers. If we marketed it as what we call it internally, everyone would think we had a inferior product. We don't want to have to lie to our customers by publishing an inflated number to appear competitive. We have performed our standard test on some other brand ESCs to know how they compare and typically their numbers are pretty far off. We tested a 'Stock' ESC that was rated as a 60amp continuous, 280 amp peak; Our continuous number for it was something like 24 amps, and the ESC blew up when we hit it with a short burst of 120 amps.

What really matters is the number of MOSFETs that are used in the construction of the ESC. The more MOSFETs, the more power it can handle because of lower resistance and the more surface area to pull the heat from them. Like the Mamba Max Pro the Mamba X ESC has 18 MOSFETs, a Mamba Micro X has 6, a Sidewinder SV3 has 12, a Mamba Monster X has 30, and a Mamba XLX has 48. All 'Stock' spec ESC's that I have seen have 6 MOSFETs. Most 'Mod' spec ESC's have 12. We also use large copper bus bars on our boards to lower the resistance of the board, and potting the controller help by providing a thermal mass and in this ESC thermally linking the board to the aluminum case for better cooling. These help raise the current handling capabilities of the ESC. For example, the Mamba Monster 2 has 36 MOSFETS, but didn't have any bus bars on it, because of this the 30 MOSFET Monster X has the same current handling capability. If we followed the ratings that our competitors use, the Mamba X would probably be a 180-200 amp continuous controller, but we would never call it that.

I have seen this ESC paired with our 1512 1800kv and 2650kv sensored motors in a 1/8 scale buggy run complete packs to low voltage cutoff on a outdoor track on an 80 degree day. When pulled into the pits, the motor was warmer than the ESC. Running in a 1/8th scale buggy on 4s is an approved setup for this ESC. The Mamba X should be plenty capable of running pretty much any 1/10th scale setup(provided a good motor, gearing and voltage is selected). We like to think this is one of the few ESC's that you could using in your 1/8th scale buggy in the summer months and then swap it into your stadium truck or buggy for running indoors in the winter.
thanks for the info , I drag race to always looking for an esc that can give that good power through and through ive tried running the monster x sensored on 2s and off the line it hesitates real bad think we cab get a drag esc ? lol
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the info , I drag race to always looking for an esc that can give that good power through and through ive tried running the monster x sensored on 2s and off the line it hesitates real bad think we cab get a drag esc ? lol
Have you tired firmware version 1.80? We found a startup bug in 1.77 that caused stuttering and cogging at low speeds. From firmware 1.77 on we have removed all current limiting code from the ESC. It should be able to put as much power as your batteries can provide. In our testing of 1.77 we wanted to ensure that we pushed as hard as it could to see if it would catch fire in extremely bad setups. Out test setup for this was to put it in a Losi 5ive-T on 6s powering a 2028 motor. The ESC would thermal in about a minute, but it survived and for that minute the car drove exactly like it did when powered by an Mamba XLX on 6s. When we needed a bad setup for testing 1.78 on the XLX, we used the same car on 8s2p but taped 15 pounds of lead bricks to it.

If you are getting bogging off the line with 1.80, I'd have a look at the datalogs to see if your input voltage is dropping under high loads. If you want the most power possible, make all the the wires as short as you can, and run an external cap pack on the input to the ESC. This will help the voltage as stable as possible.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Have you tired firmware version 1.80? We found a startup bug in 1.77 that caused stuttering and cogging at low speeds. From firmware 1.77 on we have removed all current limiting code from the ESC. It should be able to put as much power as your batteries can provide. In our testing of 1.77 we wanted to ensure that we pushed as hard as it could to see if it would catch fire in extremely bad setups. Out test setup for this was to put it in a Losi 5ive-T on 6s powering a 2028 motor. The ESC would thermal in about a minute, but it survived and for that minute the car drove exactly like it did when powered by an Mamba XLX on 6s. When we needed a bad setup for testing 1.78 on the XLX, we used the same car on 8s2p but taped 15 pounds of lead bricks to it.

If you are getting bogging off the line with 1.80, I'd have a look at the datalogs to see if your input voltage is dropping under high loads. If you want the most power possible, make all the the wires as short as you can, and run an external cap pack on the input to the ESC. This will help the voltage as stable as possible.
Didn't know this update was out I'll have to try it out thanks luckily I still pulled off the win this weekend lol
Old 12-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Didn't know this update was out I'll have to try it out thanks luckily I still pulled off the win this weekend lol
Yeah, our new website broke the part of Castle Link that tells you when there is a new version available. Castle Link it will now tell you when there is a new version and will tell you what controllers received an update. This way you only need to download the latest copy of Castle Link if it applies to you.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, our new website broke the part of Castle Link that tells you when there is a new version available. Castle Link it will now tell you when there is a new version and will tell you what controllers received an update. This way you only need to download the latest copy of Castle Link if it applies to you.
I love the look of the new website !!

Any crawler/trailing type sensored motors coming out ?
Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

I love the look of the new website !!

Any crawler/trailing type sensored motors coming out ?
I believe we are getting samples of some slower 1406 motors, 2300kv and 2800kv. I don't know when we are expecting to get the samples or when they would make it production if we approve them, but we are looking into that market.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just had to chime in. I used this esc with my 8ight this summer for a few races and it worked perfect. Just plug and play. Did not get into the options. Anyways I put a new r1 works in my d413 with hw type esc. it was making buzzing peeping bell noises????? Tried many things. Was not liking the esc! So I pulled the x out of 8ight and installed in d413. Made the motor run super quite and a bunch cooler. Million. Times better. Props
To castle firmware. Then I noticed it has data logging. Wow. It's almost like having a dyno. I cannot post pics now.(site issues I think) but anyways the numbers of interest. 13.5 pulled 67 amps. Max rpm 32000. Said it made over 550 watts.wow. motor temp max 140. Esc max temp 120. also shows ripple ,bat voltage etc. Adjustable bec. Turned up to 7.5 my servo rocks. Really sweet unit. All this might be old news. But whatever. ( I pulled the other channel from harness and removed fan) with x https://youtu.be/-SMJ6KLdFpI with hw type esc witch works good wit other motors but not r1? https://youtu.be/Dbbt9SohLm0

Last edited by jasburrito; 01-11-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasburrito View Post
Just had to chime in. I used this esc with my 8ight this summer for a few races and it worked perfect. Just plug and play. Did not get into the options. Anyways I put a new r1 works in my d413 with hw esc. it was making buzzing peeping bell noises????? Tried many things. Was not liking the esc! So I pulled the x out of 8ight and installed in d413. Made the motor run super quite and a bunch cooler. Million. Times better. Props
To castle firmware. Then I noticed it has data logging. Wow. It's almost like having a dyno. I cannot post pics now.(site issues I think) but anyways the numbers of interest. 13.5 pulled 67 amps. Max rpm 32000. Said it made over 550 watts.wow. motor temp max 140. Esc max temp 120. also shows ripple ,bat voltage etc. Adjustable bec. Turned up to 7.5 my servo rocks. Really sweet unit. All this might be old news. But whatever. ( I pulled the other channel from harness and removed fan) with x https://youtu.be/-SMJ6KLdFpI
I agree the Mamba X is a sweet piece of kit this time around. Castle really did a solid with this esc. Though there could still be one update, a dedicated sensor port lol.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did you notice, that BEC on 2s falls down when input voltage falls?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)