R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Help with Timing, Boost, and Turbo - HW XR10 Pro with 5.5t and 6.5t motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/966959-help-timing-boost-turbo-hw-xr10-pro-5-5t-6-5t-motors.html)

lyons238 11-04-2016 12:19 PM

Help with Timing, Boost, and Turbo - HW XR10 Pro with 5.5t and 6.5t motors

Okay so I'm trying in to dial in literally just a **** hair of boost to my 5.5t motor on my 4wd and my 6.5t motor on my 2wd. I'm idealizing looking to just ever so slightly fatten up the mid range with boost and then add just a tiny to the top with turbo but i have a few concerns...

1. The base motors are set with 30* of timing I believe? Do I leave it there or go negative when using ESC timing?

2. What are is the RPM range of the HW v10 G2 5.5t and 6.5t motor? What is considered low end (for cornering), mid range (for infield), and top end (straights)? I need to know the max RPM's and RPM range in general in order to set boost - or do I need a motor analyzer for this?

Thanks in advance!

dvaid852456 07-03-2019 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by lyons238 (Post 14725756)
Okay so I'm trying in to dial in literally just a **** hair of boost to my 5.5t motor on my 4wd and my 6.5t motor on my 2wd. I'm idealizing looking to just ever so slightly fatten up the mid range with boost and then add just a tiny to the top with turbo but i have a few concerns...

1. The base motors are set with 30* of timing I believe? Do I leave it there or go negative when using ESC timing?

2. What are is the RPM range of the HW v10 G2 5.5t and 6.5t motor? What is considered low end (for cornering), mid range (for infield), and top end (straights)? I need to know the max RPM's and RPM range in general in order to set boost - or do I need a motor analyzer for this?

Thanks in advance!

PetitRC has some Team driver setups for 4.5T motors that may help. I too would like to know what kind of boost and turbo I should be adding to a 5.5T motor for a touring car. I did some testing with 30 motor timing, 8 Boost and 24 turbo with an FDR of 7.21 and all seemed okay but I don't know how far to push it? With these settings the Motor was barley 50C and the ESC around 80C.

From the data from my Tekin ESC low end revs are around 8,000, mid range is around 20,000 and top end is around 55,000 with these settings.

Does anyone run 5.5T with Boost and have any settings?

Bry195 07-03-2019 08:51 PM

I dont know this combo but I can give you a little of what i know that may help. From 0 to 10000 ish rpm there is usually a fixed timing value that results in the best efficiency and best power at those rpms. Its a single value.

as the distortion between the rotor and the stator skews above 10000 rpm you will need to add timing at an accelerated rate (on a curve). Most boost settings can handle this to a point. What i have found is a couple ESCs cannot add enough boost somewhere around 3/4 of the way to max rpm and the motor goes flat because the distortion increases at a different rate. That is the rpm to start adding turbo.

if you stage timing with a fixed amount to fatten the low end, boost it from mid-range to 3/4, and add timing with turbo from 3/4 up it will be a very different motor. But you have to be able to measure the difference in power (or feel it) otherwise its allot of work to adjust the timing to correct the field distortion (patience) and the windows are very tight. Like 1 or 2 degrees per 1000 rpm.