New Sanwa MT-44 4-channel 2.4GHz radio system >

New Sanwa MT-44 4-channel 2.4GHz radio system

Like Tree126Likes

New Sanwa MT-44 4-channel 2.4GHz radio system

Old 12-30-2016, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I'm cautious to draw too many conclusions from the data, but I'll state what I think I can see:

- The MT4-S is indeed faster than the MT-4, across the board in fact, with a fast as you can get with 1.5ms neutral pulse width speed of 2.6ms
- The MT-S is basically the same performance as the MT-4S, and though it is the replacement of the MT-4, performance wise, it's the equal of the MT-4S
- Oddly, the SSR mode in the MT-S appears to be slower than SHR mode. I can understand the MT-4 result here, because the radio seems limited to ~191Hz for both SHR and SSR, but that isn't the case for the MT-S. I'll try to measure the MT-4S in SSR mode tomorrow and see if this has similar results. I wonder if this has been deliberately 'hobbled' to make the M12 more competitive!
- The MT-44 is only faster than the MT-S in SSR mode, which is un-usable for most servos (and ESCs). The MT-44 is undoubtedly a nicer radio than the MT-S, but just don't expect any performance benefit unless you're using a narrow pulse servo
- FH4T Mode is faster than FH3, which appears to be limited to 3.0ms in SHR mode

As I said, still a few holes in the data. I'm really hoping to see the M12 and M12S have faster pulse rate in SSR mode. There's room for improvement there, but I've not seen a compelling reason to use SSR mode in all the testing that I've done so far.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

I'm a little concerned about the battery life considering it's 3 x AAA. I typically use Eneloop NiMH batteries, which are 750mAh. That's only a nominal of 2.7Wh of capacity, compared to the traditional 4 x AA @ 2,000mAh, giving a nominal of 9.6Wh... I'd be surprised if the MT-44 really used 3.5 times less power than the MT-S!
Have you tried to use the Eneloops already? How do they perform? I was thinking about buying them, but had the same concern as you do.

What I hear from Schumacher concerning those Sanwa LiPos is, that Sanwa has some difficulties shipping them to Europe, so it is unlikely that they will be available here. Hopefully at least Banzai will sell them (and be able to ship).

I hope that with the LiPo battery, there will be a charging port under the rubber cover (as the official description suggests possibility of USB charging with the optional LiPo).
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Have you tried to use the Eneloops already? How do they perform? I was thinking about buying them, but had the same concern as you do.

What I hear from Schumacher concerning those Sanwa LiPos is, that Sanwa has some difficulties shipping them to Europe, so it is unlikely that they will be available here. Hopefully at least Banzai will sell them (and be able to ship).

I hope that with the LiPo battery, there will be a charging port under the rubber cover (as the official description suggests possibility of USB charging with the optional LiPo).
Ah, that makes sense now, and taking a look at the Sanwa Japan website, you are indeed correct: http://sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/option1/lp1-1400.html. That battery is specifically designed for the MT-44, and you can see the micro USB connector in the bottom corner.

Specs say it's 1,400mAh and it's 1S, which works out as 5.18Wh. That's better than the AAA Eneloops, and just over half the 4 x AA Eneloops I used to use with the MX-V and MT-S. The only issue I can see is that you need to be much more careful about how low you discharge a LiPo, so can you really get all of that 1,400mAh out of it? Anyway, the Micro USB charging seems nice.

Amazon Japan is already selling the battery for around $30, so I'm going to ask Banzai about getting them to stock it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was thinking here if lipo is really necessary.
Lipo batteries are made to not be storaged with full charge.
How many minutes using mt44 radio is necessary to finish the lipo charge?
Every training day will i have to discharge and charge again in storage method?
I ran electric on road car and spent 2 months to use 20% of mi lipo in a m11x.
Because of t i began to think abput use a good nimh or alkaline battery and spent less money and less time charging for training day and charge for storage...

Can anyone explain me if lipo is really necessary?

Last edited by maxrcp; 12-30-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxrcp View Post
I was thinking here if lipo is really necessary.
Lipo batteries are made to not be storaged with full charge.
How many minutes using mt44 radio is necessary to finish the lipo charge?
Every training day will i have to discharge and charge again in storage method?
I ran electric on road car and spent 2 months to use 20% of mi lipo in a m11x.
Because of t i began to think abput use a good nimh or alkaline battery and spent less money and less time charging for training day and charge for storage...

Can anyone explain me if lipo is really necessary?
I'd have to agree with you to be honest. I never considered a LiPo for my previous radios, and I'm wary of using one in the MT-44 for the very reasons you state. Having said that, the design of LiPo for race batteries, and those more typically used in mobile phones is quite different, and maybe not subject to the same issues. The fact that the MT-44 is also a 1S LiPo is a big advantage as well, because the charging system can be far simpler.

Only time will tell how good NiMH AAAs are, and how good the 1S LiPo option is... I'll keep this thread up to date with what I find out, in particular what the voltage drop is from one night of club racing after today!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll be honest, I was going to buy an MT-44 but decided to get another MT-4S when I saw the Lipo/AAA (I prefer LiFe), having to buy another, lower capacity battery (I have several LiFe's) and when you consider you can get an MT-4S with two RX-481's for $50 less than an MT-44 with one receiver, it ended up being the dealbreaker.

Nezil, how long ago did you order the MT-44? I ordered an MT-4S on Dec. 2nd from banzai, and it still hasn't shown up. I chose the cheapest shipping method, forgot what it's called...
Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tsair View Post
I'll be honest, I was going to buy an MT-44 but decided to get another MT-4S when I saw the Lipo/AAA (I prefer LiFe), having to buy another, lower capacity battery (I have several LiFe's) and when you consider you can get an MT-4S with two RX-481's for $50 less than an MT-44 with one receiver, it ended up being the dealbreaker.

Nezil, how long ago did you order the MT-44? I ordered an MT-4S on Dec. 2nd from banzai, and it still hasn't shown up. I chose the cheapest shipping method, forgot what it's called...
I can't argue with your logic, tsair. Banzai had the MT-4S with two RX-481s and a bag over Christmas for an amazing price, and I was tempted. The other thing I was tempted to do was to wait for the MT-44 to be available with two receivers, which Banzai told me was coming.

I placed my order at about 10pm on 12/24, and it arrived 12/28. I chose the EMS delivery option, and it came with tracking so I sort of watched its progress. I was really impressed with the packing that Banzai did, and had no issues at import inspection either.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

i'm with you nezil....

let's wait for the alkaline and nimh cells runtime
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

tsair i have bought mine mt44 at rcmarket usd $267 with RX 482/472 receivers plus shipping!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I'm not sure if it's the same. But my Spektrum DX6 comes with an optional Lithium ion battery that looks a lot like this battery. The battery has an internal discharge and charge circuit built in. Hence my battery is charged with a simple wall charger (200ma) also the battery will slowly discharge to a safe level even if my radio is never turned on(1-2 months). The same thing happens on the charge cycle. The only downside I can not use my RC charger to charge this battery and if I do not use the radio for an extended period of time(1-2 months) the battery will probably be at minimum voltage. But I could be wrong
Attached Thumbnails New Sanwa MT-44 4-channel 2.4GHz radio system-download.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:53 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

I'd have to agree with you to be honest. I never considered a LiPo for my previous radios, and I'm wary of using one in the MT-44 for the very reasons you state. Having said that, the design of LiPo for race batteries, and those more typically used in mobile phones is quite different, and maybe not subject to the same issues. The fact that the MT-44 is also a 1S LiPo is a big advantage as well, because the charging system can be far simpler.

Only time will tell how good NiMH AAAs are, and how good the 1S LiPo option is... I'll keep this thread up to date with what I find out, in particular what the voltage drop is from one night of club racing after today!
I have been using 1s 4000 mAh lipo in a Graupner x-8n for two years now. The radio comes with it as standard. Charged with a wall charger it gives 23 hours runtime on average until the radio turns off due to low voltage. Without any special treatment, the batt is as good as new... No wonder as it has not more than 20 cycles over the 2 years.

I would say, the 1s lipo capability is a significant advantage of the MT-44 over the older Sanwa radios. Think smartphones.....

Just for speed reference this is what I measured 2 year ago:

Last edited by sbd; 12-30-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Anyone else have trouble updating firmware? When I extract the file it looks like gibberish, which maybe okay. Copy and paste it to the micro card and it has files but no size. Try to update transmiter it recognizes that the card is in. Can get to firmware update and it will not do it.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxrcp View Post
tsair i have bought mine mt44 at rcmarket usd $267 with RX 482/472 receivers plus shipping!
i got mine for $300 shipped with the 482 and 472 and it only took a week from taiwan to the bay area.

Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Anyone else have trouble updating firmware? When I extract the file it looks like gibberish, which maybe okay. Copy and paste it to the micro card and it has files but no size. Try to update transmiter it recognizes that the card is in. Can get to firmware update and it will not do it.
i had no issues with the firmware update (once i got to a PC). just followed the directions on the website. make MT-44 folder and update folder within the MT-44 folder, download firmware, unzip it, then copy/paste the file into the update folder, eject, plug micro SC into MT-44, power it up, go through menu. did you make the folders with the EXACT titles that are in the instructions?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

double post
Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
i got mine for $300 shipped with the 482 and 472 and it only took a week from taiwan to the bay area.

i had no issues with the firmware update (once i got to a PC). just followed the directions on the website. make MT-44 folder and update folder within the MT-44 folder, download firmware, unzip it, then copy/paste the file into the update folder, eject, plug micro SC into MT-44, power it up, go through menu. did you make the folders with the EXACT titles that are in the instructions?
After I copy and paste to the micro card there are 11 files in the update folder but their size is all 0 KG. Is that right? Seems that the files should have size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service