Like Tree11Likes

Futaba 4pv

Old 12-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

It's here and it's great so far. I raced WGT-R yesterday with the new 4PV and I'm really happy with it. The backlighting was good on the display and I was really happy to see the D/R display on the home screen, as my M11 used to drive me nuts when I had to scroll through 6 menus to see my D/R setting.

Steering feels great and the radio is light weight but really well balanced in your hand. The wheel drop is a little less than the M11, but with the better weight balance I adapted really fast and I wouldn't change a thing.

Navigation was somewhat easy to master and I only had to refer to the manual once for binding.

4 NiMh cells weren't enough power for it. Disposable alkaline cells worked fine though. My plan was to run 2S lipo. The manual only lists 2S LiFe as an option. I can't tell if it's a voltage issue or just lawyers being paranoid after watching Samsung phone lipos burn. I have a few A123 cells laying around so I won't be the first to try a lipo.

As usual for Futaba, the throttle has to be set to reverse before esc calibration.

I'll be setting up my 2wd buggy on the 4PV next.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

have you tried to fit it is any cases yet?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
It's here and it's great so far. I raced WGT-R yesterday with the new 4PV and I'm really happy with it. The backlighting was good on the display and I was really happy to see the D/R display on the home screen, as my M11 used to drive me nuts when I had to scroll through 6 menus to see my D/R setting.

Steering feels great and the radio is light weight but really well balanced in your hand. The wheel drop is a little less than the M11, but with the better weight balance I adapted really fast and I wouldn't change a thing.

Navigation was somewhat easy to master and I only had to refer to the manual once for binding.

4 NiMh cells weren't enough power for it. Disposable alkaline cells worked fine though. My plan was to run 2S lipo. The manual only lists 2S LiFe as an option. I can't tell if it's a voltage issue or just lawyers being paranoid after watching Samsung phone lipos burn. I have a few A123 cells laying around so I won't be the first to try a lipo.

As usual for Futaba, the throttle has to be set to reverse before esc calibration.

I'll be setting up my 2wd buggy on the 4PV next.
I wouldn't trust lipo in a radio. You'd have to keep discharging it to a storage voltage, and recharging it on race day.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got my 4pv earlier this week it's pretty light at 420g without batteries for those who were wondering like me.
Glad the lipo I had for the M12 fit perfectly the 4pv (2000mAh) and it works fine.
Although I put my car batteries on storage more as soon as I can I don't do this for the tx battery.
So far mine is 1 year and a half old, I've gone well beyond 200hrs+ of use and not the slightest hint of puffing. I charge it every 2-3 weeks and even so it didn't go below the nominal voltage of 7.4v as a precaution not to lack life on the track/race.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

So of you that have the 4PV, do any of you also have the 4PLS? If so, how does it compare.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I currently use a 4PLS, which I love, but I love the look of this new radio, especially the new antenna design. I would imagine that racing indoors on carpet, I wouldn't ever have to move the antenna from its storage position?

Hopefully others that upgraded from the 4PLS can share their opinions.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CamLS View Post
I currently use a 4PLS, which I love, but I love the look of this new radio, especially the new antenna design. I would imagine that racing indoors on carpet, I wouldn't ever have to move the antenna from its storage position?

Hopefully others that upgraded from the 4PLS can share their opinions.
Yet, functionality wise, the PLS had suited you before as well I take it. I think the 4pv being the next evolution, yet its a more attractive radio.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Is there a large wheel option on the 4PV? Does it simply unscrew like other radios?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Is there a large wheel option on the 4PV? Does it simply unscrew like other radios?
there's an allen screw about the same size as a motor screw. I don't have it in front of me right to check the spline pattern.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I wouldn't trust lipo in a radio. You'd have to keep discharging it to a storage voltage, and recharging it on race day.
I use a LiFe in all of my radios.....I don't trust Lipo's in them either.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is there an official thread for this yet? Has anyone got info on cases and if it will fit 4px case and will the life from 4px be compatible also? Recently sold my 4px to try Sanwa and really regret it now..! Didn't realise how attached and comfortable I had become with futaba coming from Ko kiy v3 to 4px I was a bit unsure about the 4px but now I feel nothing compares to futaba and regret not sticking with it only thing is I prob only ever used about 10% of the features on my 4px which is why I'm thinking of going with the 4pv and spending the extra elsewhere. It has to be one of the sweetest looking Tx and at a price that is hard to beat.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fizzy View Post
Is there an official thread for this yet?
I think this is it.

I am waiting for a radio to see how it fits in the Futaba case.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fizzy View Post
Is there an official thread for this yet? Has anyone got info on cases and if it will fit 4px case and will the life from 4px be compatible also? Recently sold my 4px to try Sanwa and really regret it now..! Didn't realise how attached and comfortable I had become with futaba coming from Ko kiy v3 to 4px I was a bit unsure about the 4px but now I feel nothing compares to futaba and regret not sticking with it only thing is I prob only ever used about 10% of the features on my 4px which is why I'm thinking of going with the 4pv and spending the extra elsewhere. It has to be one of the sweetest looking Tx and at a price that is hard to beat.
My 4pv fits fine in the JConcepts 4px case and I have the drop down.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Anyone know where to get the drop down?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
I think this is it.

I am waiting for a radio to see how it fits in the Futaba case.
Nice, let us know how you get on.

Originally Posted by jspeedracer88 View Post
My 4pv fits fine in the JConcepts 4px case and I have the drop down.
Thanks, good to know it fits with drop down too.
How are you finding the Tx so far and what have you come from?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service