Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Good cheap esc for 1/10 mod st? >

Good cheap esc for 1/10 mod st?

Good cheap esc for 1/10 mod st?

Old 09-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Good cheap esc for 1/10 mod st?

I was looking at the X-car esc but have read a few posts about problems with reverse. I Am going to be running a Reedy 8.0t motor. I do have a Hobbywing 120A esc in a B5 and i'm happy with it so would the X-car be the exact same esc? I'm open to suggestions on other brands also.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

I've run the X-Car 120 in a few RCs and have been happy with it (2wd and 4wd buggy mostly) - but it's the same as a HobbyWing 2.1 - just like some other ESCs (can use the same programmer and firmware). If it's nothing special and works well: may as well go cheap...

Spend $20 and get one of the blue generic ones from Ebay (just search for 120a brushless ESC). I bought 2 and they've both worked fine (have one in a T5M now): but for $20 you don't even have to take my word for it, just buy & try!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PetRock
I've run the X-Car 120 in a few RCs and have been happy with it (2wd and 4wd buggy mostly) - but it's the same as a HobbyWing 2.1 - just like some other ESCs (can use the same programmer and firmware). If it's nothing special and works well: may as well go cheap...

Spend $20 and get one of the blue generic ones from Ebay (just search for 120a brushless ESC). I bought 2 and they've both worked fine (have one in a T5M now): but for $20 you don't even have to take my word for it, just buy & try!
So the $20 blue esc can use the hobbywing programmer? Also do I have to hook the program box to the pc to update firmware or is it saved in the program box? In other words I ordered the $20 esc to try, do I need to plug it in to the program box and pc or just program box? I am happy with my hobbywing 2.1 and the firmware that's installed, so if I plug the cheap esc in will it make it the same as my hobbywing or do I need to go through the computer?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

You don't have to do anything to the blue ESCs except drive them. If you want to put on HW firmware you can, using one of the USB adapters that go straight into your computer. I haven't used the HW 2.1 program box (just the USB adapter, because you can change everything the box can plus more) but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Just the programming box isn't enough to upgrade firmware (the firmware isn't stored inside) though I think you can use it in place of the USB adapter (i.e. plug ESC into program box, plug program box into your PC)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PetRock
You don't have to do anything to the blue ESCs except drive them. If you want to put on HW firmware you can, using one of the USB adapters that go straight into your computer. I haven't used the HW 2.1 program box (just the USB adapter, because you can change everything the box can plus more) but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Just the programming box isn't enough to upgrade firmware (the firmware isn't stored inside) though I think you can use it in place of the USB adapter (i.e. plug ESC into program box, plug program box into your PC)
Thank you, you just answered a the question I was not sure about for a while about firmware updates. I did plug my HW box in to the PC and esc a while ago but have been happy with my HW 2.1 so forgot how it worked. Did you have any issue with reverse on the $20 specials? I have read a few posts about reverse problems from the x-car esc. Seem to be hit or miss?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The generic blue 120A ESCs work great...if doing only 2S. If exploring the 3S realm, I warn you of the weak internal BEC. I've burnt out (fried) two of the ESCs doing so. I had to use a Castle Creations BEC with the blue ESC to supply power to the receiver/servo. Other than that, their are fine for lite duty.

Another note: The low budget blue 120A ESC only puts out 5v on the BEC. To get full potential from a 6v servo, running an external BEC would be your best bet. For most people, running a servo at 83% power with internal BEC is acceptable.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I bought one of the blue cheepos as well and reverse worked fine.

That being said I have owned at least 5 of the Xcar ESCs and reverse all worked fine.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jay13
I was looking at the X-car esc but have read a few posts about problems with reverse. I Am going to be running a Reedy 8.0t motor. I do have a Hobbywing 120A esc in a B5 and i'm happy with it so would the X-car be the exact same esc? I'm open to suggestions on other brands also.
Run what the factory guys run with the Reedy 8.0 motor, the Reedy 1000Z+ ESC - reasonably priced and has the right adjustments for Off-road racing.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Run what the factory guys run with the Reedy 8.0 motor, the Reedy 1000Z+ ESC - reasonably priced and has the right adjustments for Off-road racing.
Might try one in the future, I ordered a blue 120A to try. I don't ever plan on 3s for this esc so I will give it a try.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im about to order one of these blue 120a. Theyre even cheaper now, $15 + free shipping.

Does anyone know what they are the equivalent of, or rebranded as?

Edit: looks like all the info on these are here..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...earBest-Review