Search

Motor Maintenence

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Motor Maintenence

Still relatively new to buying nice 17.5 motors. Regarding maintenence for a newb, what is a regular maintenence schedule? Also, does it make sense to have a few motors, rotate them every couple weeks to maintain their punch/life? Or just run them till they have less punch? I'm thinking to continue purchasing my expensive certified motors (fantom etc.) and have a few inexpensive fast motors on hand (reedy etc). Any tips from motor heads out there is most helpful
Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

More or less, protect your rotors from heat. Run as often as you want, try to keep them clean and the bearings healthy with oil.

Once the rotors lose their magnetic strength, the motor is considerably slower but you just need a rotor at that point.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

How accurate is the reading on temps when using a motor fan. Using a fan lowered 150 temps considerably. But, I'm worried my rotor is not cooling to the same extent and may be pushing motors too hard
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

There really isn't much maintenance on these brushless motors but it depends what conditions you're running them in. If its outdoors or really dusty you might want to take the motor apart and clean out the dust and debris, spray it out with motor spray and let air dry. Also, watch your bearings, these really are the only thing that go. I change mine regularly but that also depends how often you run your car and conditions.

The biggest killer of motors is heat, I never run above 180. If you're overheating your motor you need to make some changes, either turn the timing down on the can, turn the boost down in the esc, or most importantly change your gearing. Fans are a great way to run a little more out of the motor while keeping it cool. I like to tune for 6min races so when changing things or a new car I will run for a while and check things out to see where I'm at. Take it slow and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'll run roughly 1000 laps a month on a super dusty track. I will take the motor apart a couple times and blow it out with an air compressor, then a drop of oil in either bearing. I generally have to replace bearings only a couple times a year, depends how much I run the snot out of one motor. Brushless is fantastic when it comes to maintenance, there's barely any! And if you do keep them clean, they will provide you with more laps than you could imagine.