Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Futaba 3PV

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I got the chance to use the 3PV in a fastest lap challenge. The radio feels small in my hand. The throttle trigger isn't in the same position as the 3PMX. My finger can wrap around the trigger.
It seems like it's made for a smaller hand.

But I got used to it and I set the fastest lap.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmauld
I was thinking about getting this radio as a bashing radio, so that I can buy cheap receivers for several different models.

Is Futaba pretty reliable about not dropping support for a model? For example, I made the mistake of buying an airtronics MX3-FHSS which the manufacturer quickly dropped support for and finding receivers became difficult. I'd like to avoid that situation for this purchase.

The radio will be used for my son (11yrs old) to race with as well as bashing use around the house, which will likely include controlling a boat.
Historically Futaba has been pretty good about supporting old products. Futaba is still supporting every single surface receivers they released in 2.4ghz since around 10 years ago starting with R603FS. And they actually still support two AM and one FM receivers which is quite amazing.

3PV support the most current protocols Futaba is pushing which should mean this radio should be well supported for a long time. This is a great deal for around $110 which support T-FHSS with telemetry as well as FHSS and S-FHSS surface receivers. This is a mass market unit which means it will stay in production for a little longer as well.

Other than a low end mechanical construction, this is a great deal for sure for beginners.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmauld
I was thinking about getting this radio as a bashing radio, so that I can buy cheap receivers for several different models.

Is Futaba pretty reliable about not dropping support for a model? For example, I made the mistake of buying an airtronics MX3-FHSS which the manufacturer quickly dropped support for and finding receivers became difficult. I'd like to avoid that situation for this purchase.

The radio will be used for my son (11yrs old) to race with as well as bashing use around the house, which will likely include controlling a boat.
I think you may have just been unlucky and got into Airtronics when they were moving to FHSS-2. Since then their support for the older protocols has greatly improved. I can still buy new receivers for my old MX-3x.

That being said, Futaba is not known for discontinuing their protocol out of nowhere. And right now they have kind of hit the ceiling with what they can do on a 2.4ghz band. So I doubt you'll have support trouble in the future.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the difference between the two receivers that can come with the 3pv?
-One is the R304SB and says that it allows for telemetry
-the other is the R203GF and is not telemetry capable, but says it is 'High Voltage'.

What makes each one better in certain settings?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gauss
What is the difference between the two receivers that can come with the 3pv?
-One is the R304SB and says that it allows for telemetry
-the other is the R203GF and is not telemetry capable, but says it is 'High Voltage'.

What makes each one better in certain settings?
R304SB can also operate in 7.4V so the HV capability on R203GF is irrelevant for the comparison. Not sure why Amain sells 3pv with R304SB and R203GF for the same price. R304SB is simply a superior unit with faster response and telemetry. R304SB is superior to the R203GF in every aspect except for the price.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I take it that y'all are happy with the 3PV? Plan to buy one next week.
So I should opt for the more expensive receiver option? Is for bashing in a hyper 10tt.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by rustlerfan47
So I take it that y'all are happy with the 3PV? Plan to buy one next week.
So I should opt for the more expensive receiver option? Is for bashing in a hyper 10tt.
For basing nah stick with cheap one it's good.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Phat-Boy
For basing nah stick with cheap one it's good.
Will do thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a chance to buy a like new Futaba 3PM 2.4 ghz for the same price as the Futaba T3PV.. I like the feel and look of older radios but I really thinking about trying the 3PV i am liking the features and larger screen of the newer model. I am also interested in the Telemetry for battery voltage because my buggy is nitro....
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 AM
Tech Adept

Could anyone help me , need to put the 3PV in race mode for club racing not sure as to how . Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Really no help on this?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Looks similar to the Futaba T2PL the old sledgehammer style. Bigger and bulkier than the compact 3pv.
CONS
-You have to press left & right more than usual to navigate the menu.
- Has no lcd backlight.
- Wheel foam could be softer.
- A rubber/grippy surface on hand grip would be nice.

PROS
- Looks awesome.
- Great battery life.
- All the features you want and more.
- Steering feel and resistance is progressive and consistent left to right.
*note, i have a kyosho kt331 which i stole the wheel foam from. BEST WHEEL FOAM EVER!!!

Final thoughts.
This immidiately felt cheap due to the feeling of the plastic shell.
Do not let this sway your judgement.
Buy it! You wont be disappointed with how it performs and looks.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by bonzo915
Could anyone help me , need to put the 3PV in race mode for club racing not sure as to how . Thanks
There is no race mode. Adjust epa ,exp ,& d-rate it is ready to race.

Last edited by Phat-Boy; 11-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bonzo915
There’s no “race mode” that I’m aware of though there is some confusion if you read the specs of the R203GF which is bundled with the non telemetry version of the 3PV.

Essentially there are two modes of S-FHSS. One is what they refer to as normal speed with a latency of approximately 14ms and the other is what they call High Speed S-FHSS with a latency of approx 7ms. I also see a setting in the menu on mine that says HS-TFS or something to that effect. This seems to only be doable with the R304 receivers, though I am not positive about that. This high speed mode seems to be set automatically by the receiver when it detects specific servo, i.e. a Futaba Digital BLS series servo. I’ve also read this is only a feature when used with specific Futaba transmitters, namely the 3PL and possibly the 4PL? Why this wouldn’t work with any digital servo or any S-FHSS Futaba transmitters, I don’t know.

I’m gonna email them on Friday and see if they can shed some light on this.

Or if anyone here can, that’d be great too.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was looking at getting the 3pv for my recent Tekno MT410 build. It would have ran me $110 minus the $10 coupon from Tower would put it at $100. They have the 4pls on sale for $179.99 minus the $30 coupon from Tower put it at $150. So for another 50 i was able to get the 4pls over the 3pv.

I know its older than the 3pv but i like that it has a backlit display and has trigger and wheel adjustments. Plus the menu is easier to navigate with the joystick. Just recieved it and im happy overall.

This is my first "higher end" radio. I know its not a high end radio but it is middle of the road. For 150 i think its a no brainer to grab.

I really wanted the 4pv but could't justify the $280 price tag for bashing. So i was content with the 3pv until i found the 4pls at such a great price. Seeing as how they where $280 a year ago. So i practically got it for $130 off retail price from a year ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.