Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless Sensored Motor and ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Wireless Sensored Motor and ESC's

We all know what it's like to have a sensor wire go bad mid race, it sucks! Also, how many times have you gone into the shop only to find out that the sensor wire length you need is sold out. Well, let's get rid of them! I'm sure motor companies are trying to figure out a way to make motors use a bluetooth sensorboard and go wireless instead of having to use sensor wires. They're coming, but when? One, two, three years? Also, how about removing all of the A, B, C wires from the motor/ESC. I would think that by now, the technology exists to simply have the + and - battery wires to the esc and one single wire from the esc to the motor and completely eliminate the need for the other 3, combine that with a bluetooth sensor board, then wiring would be so much easier, cleaner and more reliable having fewer posts and areas of contact to go wrong. Electronics have gotten better and more reliable, but the actual technology seems to have gone stagnant. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks about these kind of things, what would you guys like to see in the near future?

Oh and one last thing...Isn't it time to do away with the super small balance port wire for Lipo battery's and make them bigger? They're tiny and break way too easily!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Your post is 41 days late.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
We all know what it's like to have a sensor wire go bad mid race, it sucks! Also, how many times have you gone into the shop only to find out that the sensor wire length you need is sold out. Well, let's get rid of them! I'm sure motor companies are trying to figure out a way to make motors use a bluetooth sensorboard and go wireless instead of having to use sensor wires. They're coming, but when? One, two, three years? Also, how about removing all of the A, B, C wires from the motor/ESC. I would think that by now, the technology exists to simply have the + and - battery wires to the esc and one single wire from the esc to the motor and completely eliminate the need for the other 3, combine that with a bluetooth sensor board, then wiring would be so much easier, cleaner and more reliable having fewer posts and areas of contact to go wrong. Electronics have gotten better and more reliable, but the actual technology seems to have gone stagnant. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks about these kind of things, what would you guys like to see in the near future?

Oh and one last thing...Isn't it time to do away with the super small balance port wire for Lipo battery's and make them bigger? They're tiny and break way too easily!
You could purchase alot of sensor harnesses for the cost of that wireless sensor board. (which you'd need a spare of that too)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Your post is 41 days late.
what'd I miss? I would be stoked to hear this is already happening!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

He probably didn't read your post, just the title, and is now referring to Hobbywing's WiFi module (which only replaces the programming card, but has nothing to do with sensor cables or wiring up the motor differently.)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Wireless data transfer is slower and less reliable than wired, if the sensor data can't reach the ESC in due time or arrives corrupted it would be even worse than a sensorless design. Any error correction or size reduction measures would increase time it takes to decode sensor information immensely.

The technology exists of soft start like sensored with a sensorless design, it's a homebrew ESC that in many ways is better than most name brand ESCs.

What you speak of seems like a motor with integrated ESC, like the Team Orion D drive
Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

True. The latency of wireless tech alone is probably the biggest problem of all.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Not taking into account that most wireless bands are crowded. The current design sure has it's shortcomings, I have a dozen of sensor harnesses with broken wires. Which gives me another idea!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
what'd I miss? I would be stoked to hear this is already happening!
A single wire to the motor?

Electricity has to flow in and out to do work. I figured it was a 41 days late April Fool's Joke.