R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Gen 3 Tekin motor bad noise - no power (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/941267-gen-3-tekin-motor-bad-noise-no-power.html)

lyons238 04-27-2016 07:17 PM

Gen 3 Tekin motor bad noise - no horsepower

My first time using this brand new motor after only 2 packs, the motor now makes a bad granding/squeeling noise and will barely move. The only thing that happened before hand was I somewhat flat landed a jump, but it was nothing out of the ordinary...

Is this common? What could the issue be?

i believe i probably slipped a rotor? although the tekin did seem to get hott even after first run. i think maybe the rotor wasn't glued properly and it managed to break off. hope my rsx doesnt break that easy, or my second tekin motor if i get one.

if the rotor did slip, will i be fine to replace just the rotor? or could it have damaged other things as well?

lyons238 04-27-2016 07:23 PM

i believe i probably slipped a rotor? although the tekin did seem to get hott even after first run. i think maybe the rotor wasn't glued properly and it managed to break off. hope my rsx doesnt break that easy, or my second tekin motor if i get one.

if the rotor did slip, will i be fine to replace just the rotor? or could it have damaged other things as well?

suzukipro 04-27-2016 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by lyons238 (Post 14508973)

Send it into Tekin, they have excellent customer support and will fix / replace the issue if it is still under warranty and maybe even if it is slightly out of warranty.

lyons238 04-28-2016 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by suzukipro (Post 14509093)
Send it into Tekin, they have excellent customer support and will fix / replace the issue if it is still under warranty and maybe even if it is slightly out of warranty.

i dont have time for that. im wondering if i can buy a rotor and thats it and replace it myself. can a slipped rotor cause any other damage to be worth sending it in or is it usually as simple as swapping in a new rotor?

Socket 04-28-2016 06:29 AM

Pull it apart, snap pictures, send them to Tekin. Randy's a good cat up there.

As for the motor getting hot; I've been told a million times the Gen 3 motors don't run hot unless you're very over geared. What car, what weight, and what gearing/FDR are you at?

lyons238 04-28-2016 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Socket (Post 14509506)
Pull it apart, snap pictures, send them to Tekin. Randy's a good cat up there.

As for the motor getting hot; I've been told a million times the Gen 3 motors don't run hot unless you're very over geared. What car, what weight, and what gearing/FDR are you at?

XRAY XB4 16'

5.5t Tekin Gen 3

18 / 81 - If anything this is on the lower side of gearing I thought.

Also, the motor wasn't running incredibly hott, but just seemed hotter than what I'm used to with my trinity motors.

------------------------------------------

Now say if it is a slipped rotor, will replacing just the rotor be sufficient?

Again my symptoms were, a grinding/squealing noise and basically wont move the car.

Andy Koback 04-28-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by lyons238 (Post 14509518)
XRAY XB4 16'

5.5t Tekin Gen 3

18 / 81 - If anything this is on the lower side of gearing I thought.

Also, the motor wasn't running incredibly hott, but just seemed hotter than what I'm used to with my trinity motors.

------------------------------------------

Now say if it is a slipped rotor, will replacing just the rotor be sufficient?

Again my symptoms were, a grinding/squealing noise and basically wont move the car.

Take the rotor out and see if it's slipping on the shaft. Easy to replace the rotor but I doubt if it caused any other damage. What do you have to lose?

Randy_Pike 04-28-2016 10:22 AM

No power almost makes me think there's an issue with some wiring or an esc. What esc are you using?

Yeah time to open up this motor and pull out the rotor to inspect it. Note there are going to be a few shims so make sure you get them out. There's generally two or three in there. They MUST come out before you reassemble the motor.

I've not seen a rotor "slip" on our Gen3 so far so this would be a first. How hot is hot to you?

18/81 in the Xb4 is decent gearing but this would be on a decent sized track as well. What is the size of your longest straight away?

lyons238 04-28-2016 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike (Post 14509812)
No power almost makes me think there's an issue with some wiring or an esc. What esc are you using?

Yeah time to open up this motor and pull out the rotor to inspect it. Note there are going to be a few shims so make sure you get them out. There's generally two or three in there. They MUST come out before you reassemble the motor.

I've not seen a rotor "slip" on our Gen3 so far so this would be a first. How hot is hot to you?

18/81 in the Xb4 is decent gearing but this would be on a decent sized track as well. What is the size of your longest straight away?

I run small indoor carpet, larger outdoor astro, and medium indoor clay sized tracks. probably like 80ft / 100ft / and 120ft straights?

are you thinking i should gear lower? like 17t? or higher?

I don't think it's the ESC, the ESC powers everything just fine. When i said no power - i meant like no horse power. The tekin motor is squeeling/grinding and it spins, but it doesnt spin with as much force as it normally does.

Also Randy, AMain is taking care of me, so the motor you will receive from them will be mine. Maybe you guys can check it out and let me know what happened. Seems like a slipped rotor though. Also, I didn't measure the heat as my sensor ran out of batteries but it was getting hott, not hott enough to say ouch or to not be able to hold my finger on it for extended period, but it was getting there. previously my trinity motors have been barely warm. im also used to 2wd, im sure 4wd puts more stress on the motor.

Randy_Pike 04-28-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by lyons238 (Post 14509891)
I run small indoor carpet, larger outdoor astro, and medium indoor clay sized tracks. probably like 80ft / 100ft / and 120ft straights?

are you thinking i should gear lower? like 17t? or higher?

I don't think it's the ESC, the ESC powers everything just fine. When i said no power - i meant like no horse power. The tekin motor is squeeling/grinding and it spins, but it doesnt spin with as much force as it normally does.

Also Randy, AMain is taking care of me, so the motor you will receive from them will be mine. Maybe you guys can check it out and let me know what happened. Seems like a slipped rotor though. Also, I didn't measure the heat as my sensor ran out of batteries but it was getting hott, not hott enough to say ouch or to not be able to hold my finger on it for extended period, but it was getting there. previously my trinity motors have been barely warm. im also used to 2wd, im sure 4wd puts more stress on the motor.

If the rotor was slipping the car wouldn't move hardly at all if at all. Squealing is often the sign of bad sensors, mis wired ABC or something else. Sending it back to Amain wasn't the best idea time frame wise. Their customer service is good but ideally you should have sent it directly to us, it would have cut down on time and confusion.

lyons238 04-28-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike (Post 14510059)
If the rotor was slipping the car wouldn't move hardly at all if at all. Squealing is often the sign of bad sensors, mis wired ABC or something else. Sending it back to Amain wasn't the best idea time frame wise. Their customer service is good but ideally you should have sent it directly to us, it would have cut down on time and confusion.

i purchased a new motor over night shipped and theyre refunding me. its going to be at my door step tomorrow before 10:30am.

and the motor does barely move at all...thats what i mean by no horsepower...lol...in 99% sure its a slipped rotor. the motor didnt start grinding and squealing until it had no horsepower and would barely move at all.

its all soldered properly, im a maniac with my soldering and its done better than 95% of even what i see from team rides. its getting power from the esc properly. sensor lights are working properly.

it barely moves at all, like wont move the car but when i take the spur off the motor will spin. and it squeals and grinds. just to be clear.

Zerodefect 04-28-2016 02:00 PM

Try a 16 tooth pinion, and boost or turbo if you need more top end in the Xb4. 4x4 buggies can eat horsepower and nuke just about any motor, so be careful. Not to mention their suspension is about as plush as just chucking the motor down a staircase or at a wall.

Sounds like a locked up bearing to me. Or if it's an electrical squeal, you lost one of the phases.

lyons238 04-28-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 14510128)
Try a 16 tooth pinion, and boost or turbo if you need more top end in the Xb4. 4x4 buggies can eat horsepower and nuke just about any motor, so be careful. Not to mention their suspension is about as plush as just chucking the motor down a staircase or at a wall.

Sounds like a locked up bearing to me. Or if it's an electrical squeal, you lost one of the phases.

18t didn't seem overly geared. seemed about perfect to be honest...

anymore comments on this?

lyons238 04-28-2016 05:11 PM

i took the motor apart. how can i tell if anything is wrong? only thing i noticed was a mark on 4 magnet things inside...

and maybe some scratches on the shiny part of the rotor

Geezatec 04-28-2016 07:46 PM

the motor now makes a bad granding/squeeling noise and will barely moves.

Sound more like it started cogging. Does it run if you give it a push by hand, or if you remove pinion and motor will start? Try dropping your pinion by 2-5 teeth and see what it does. Before that try recalibrating the ESC. Just 2 packs?? Try Recalibrate first.