Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Steering servo- KO PROPO, Hitec, Savöx or..? >

Steering servo- KO PROPO, Hitec, Savöx or..?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steering servo- KO PROPO, Hitec, Savöx or..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Steering servo- KO PROPO, Hitec, Savöx or..?

KO PROPO - Speed 0.06ms - Special Japanese aluminum . This gear is 45% lighter than brass and has the same hardness as steel..?

Hitec - Speed unknow = not sure what to use - Programmable - Titanium

Savöx - Speed 0.06ms - Titanium or steel

What to choose and why? Specific servo is an advantage and other brands are welcome to. First up is 1/10 4WD buggy but also for (different servo) 1/8 buggy and 1/10 or 1/8 track.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oh Qrap
KO PROPO - Speed 0.06ms - Special Japanese aluminum . This gear is 45% lighter than brass and has the same hardness as steel..?

Hitec - Speed unknow = not sure what to use - Programmable - Titanium

Savöx - Speed 0.06ms - Titanium or steel

What to choose and why? Specific servo is an advantage and other brands are welcome to. First up is 1/10 4WD buggy but also for (different servo) 1/8 buggy and 1/10 or 1/8 track.
Whats so special about the "Special Japanese Aluminum?" Did it come from the nuke plant that was destroyed by the earthquake? Or is it run of the mill titanium?

The Hitec.... what model. I mean you ask about 2 of them, but this brand is in there like its a personal favorite...

Savox.... Speed is good. Whats the torque? don't worry about Ti or steel. They both work really well and do no improve performance one way or the other.

My opinion for a 1/10 4wd buggy.... .06-.09 for speed and 150in/lbs minimum of torque. But you don't need a 400oz/in monster. I would get what you have support locally, if you can. Being in Sweeden, I have no idea what or where that is. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Suspended

I like Hitec .. I run them in all my sct
Old 04-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Whats so special about the "Special Japanese Aluminum?"
My point exactly =) Sure there is iron meteorite but never heard about aluminium in this context. Well well maybe they are on to something, I will probably leave it with a "?"

Support isn't an issue for plug and play parts like servo, as long it's quality products from the beginning. Sure.. I don't know anything about programmable servo = how and why but if it exist the question is if I can live without it

I have Savöx 1258TG in my 2WD 1/10 buggy and it is day and night compared with OEM, having said that the XB4 -16 specs is my first KIT ever and I want to try something new as long it's the best the world can produce.

No greater demands than that.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Do you really need a servo the fast for 4wd buggy? If you think you do then you will need to look at servos that can run at 7.4v if your speedo can power that, at the end of the day for any 6v servo you can either have speed or power or servo that has a bit of both.
For the KO servo I suspect the aluminium has been surface hardened in some way, either way I suspect it would be a good servo, KO dint tend to make bad ones.
There is one company you left out though, Futaba, may not be fashionable or the latest trend but their servos are very good. I have a BLS452 in my 4wd and BLS451 in my 2wd, both never give problems and don't cost the earth.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Tech Initiate

I hope you all can read between the lines =)

I don't know what I need and thats why I'm asking, my first KIT and 4WD 1/10. I.e. I have no references/nothing to compare with.

Are programmable servos used for surface RC and if so what is it you want to achieve? Adjustable speed, strength or some magical algorithm?

Maybe you can recommend some specific servos, you know the KIT, with pros and cons? Price is relatively and nothing we have to debate in this question.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

I would go with Futaba, if your speed controller has a normal 6V BEC output the BLS452 is plenty good enough, details are here;

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/bls452

If your speed controller can supply 7.4V to the radios control gear like some of the newer ones can then the BLS471 SV is quicker, details here;

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/bls471sv

If you are starting out with racing and a newbie it may be better to start with a slower servo, don't forget that what transmitter/radio gear you have will have a big influence on response of the servo. One friend went from a Spektrum DX3 to Sanwa MT4 and kept turning in too early as the latency was so much better.
I doubt you will ever need to program servos for speed/torque etc. If you need to do this its better to do this with a decent transmitter like the Sanwa MT4.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Yepp, newbie since January =) First club-race was today actually with my RB6 RDS - Warmup - 1:st qualifying second place - 2:st smashed steering but did finish - 3:st steering trouble again (short of time in between) 1:st C-final fourth place - 2:st C-final second place and second place in total in C-group. Really fun! =)

Anyway, have been looking at some servos but not decided yet and thanks for the tips!

What is better and why?

Hitec D-940TW 32-Bit, High Speed, Titanium Gear Servo
http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

Hitec HS-8360TH High Voltage, Ultra Response, High Speed, Titanium Gear Servo

Hitec HSB-9360TH High Speed, Brushless, Titanium Gear Servo

KO PROPO RSx2 Response
http://www.kopropo.co.jp/sys_en/servos/servo_rsx2

Belive I have 6V but not sure how to read the specification:

BEC&FAN BEC=6V@3A [email protected] ?-> (Max 8.4V) <-?

Max 8.4V meaning..?

Finally; What can be done with a programmable servo, what is the programming for? Don't need answers like "if you don't know you don't need it", just curious.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Here in New Zealand "Highest" servos seem to be the cream of the crop .very smooth , never any returns , and the specs are as good as if not better than some others mentioned .
Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Seems to have nice specs but when a company refers to "@hotmail"...

Well well, the servos with 0.04 at 6V are probably wicked fast, but with only 6.4kg in torque I believe they are a bit weak.