Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest 17.5 motor for my B5M

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slashn77
At my local track they only let you run stock 1/10 2wd buggy 17.5T non-blinky
So yes we all run timing(my car is a B5M FL)

I have been running a Reedy Sonic M3 17.5 spec motor not the 17.5 SS aka short stack.

However everyone is running Killshots and other faster 17.5 motors which are much faster than my Mach 3.

There is no rules where the motor has to be ROAR approved or anything so I am going to pickup a faster 17.5 motor on Tuesday and I am thinking about the KILLSHOT or the D4 1ss 17.5 but only if that is the fastest 17.5 motor out there.

So I am wondering which motor should I get? The D4 1ss? Or is there a faster stock motor because i will be getting that then.

Please help! Thanka
No rules? Are there any rules regarding battery voltage? And you can run ESC timing?

You have a lot of options if you are racing outlaw 17.5. And surely others are doing the same. Buying another off the shelf legal motor won't do much for you if others are not doing the same.

I'd start with a LiHV battery and charge it to the max (plus a little more) and make sure you warm it with a heating pad while charging (cheaper than buying a high amp charger discharger, plus better results).

Don't ditch the motor yet. If you can run ESC timing a standard motor will be better than a short stack. A would put a modified rotor in it though (#275). With ESC timing you are going to probably need to reduce motor timing and add some back in with the ESC like 10 deg boost and 10 deg top speed timing. A gearing adjustment will be necessary as well but you will have to sort that out.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

as a suggestion, maybe find out if its only the motors they are working on that has as difference than what you have.

It may be more than just the motor that is giving them an advantage in what looks "fast", and I am not talking about the obivious "driving ability" factor either.

Me personally, I would definitely give voltage a look too, maybe even start there.

As for motors, i can comment that I was very impressed with the performance of the Maclan 17.5 and it in a heavy car for "stock" racing.