Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Servo, ESC Freakin Out w/Accesories Connected >

Servo, ESC Freakin Out w/Accesories Connected

Servo, ESC Freakin Out w/Accesories Connected

Old 04-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Servo, ESC Freakin Out w/Accesories Connected

Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a HPI E10 that is bone stock with the exception of the drive shaft. It has the AM radio.

I recently bought an ESS One sound module for the car. Hooked it up, calibrated it and it seemed to work fine. I then installed it to the car.

Here's where it gets weird. If I walk about 5 feet away the car gets goofy, like its receiving signals from the transmitter. The car will want to drive itself and the servo even twitch's back and forth. The range in the transmitter is gone. But when the ESS One is unplugged everything works fine.

So, pretty much being a novice I am unsure as to where to start my troubleshooting. Do I need to invest in a decent radio transmitter/receiver upgrade? A better ESC? Your time and insight is most appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by NissanFast; 04-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I highly doubt the ESS module was designed to be adequately shielded so as to be usable with an AM radio without causing interference - you need a 2.4 system or, as you've already noticed, unplug it and use your car as you were.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I have an ESS system here, and they don't like AM Radios. You can get a reasonable 2.4ghz fairly cheap now and it's worth the upgrade