Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin rx8/t8 setup for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tekin rx8/t8 setup for speed?

Been thinking about making a speed project out of my rc8.2e for fun. Have a rx8 gen 2 and a 2250kv tekin in it already. Was wondering if anyone's experimented with speed runs with a similar setup and what the results were or if it's worth buying a new motor/esc strictly for speed runs. I want to try for some serious speed. Just a itch I want to scratch this spring/summer.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default rc8.2e

Nobody??
Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend the RX8 ESC in an on road set up in any circumstance.

They tend to do this:
Attached Thumbnails Tekin rx8/t8 setup for speed?-tekinquality.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nexxus
I wouldn't recommend the RX8 ESC in an on road set up in any circumstance.

They tend to do this:
Two of mine did that and nearly took the car with them.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

He has the Gen2, not the Gen1. Quality is better, not saying you wont have any issues, they all give trouble. I use the Gen2s and only issues I have is the on/off switch. I would put it on the laptop, crank it up and keep it cool with good airflow and gearing. I am running 3 Gen2s on my buggies, used for racing only, with no issues other than the switches.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Speed runs can be done but do your homework here. The most often weak spot is guys cheaping out on batteries under what can be quite a large load.

The 2250 can be run on high voltage but consider your platform for a minute. You're taking a 1/8 buggy and wanting it to go go super fast? There are other platforms that will do this much better with superior results.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Agree about the on/off switch. Most people bypass them. I just wanted to know anyone's experience with these motors at high speeds and if it's been been done before. So far only ran 17/46 and 20/46 on this setup.wanted to see what kind of speeds I can get with different gearing. I don't abuse my rigs. Anytime I've tried to do a speed run I let the motor cool before even thinking about running it again. Have some cut outs for airflow. Things are torque monster. I only really run on dirt in my backyard. I built a little track and a nice jump. Has been the most durable rc car I've ever owned. I launch this thing 6-7 feet in the air and have only broke a dog bone plastic piece on the bottom of the shock. For the life of me can't think of what it's called lol rear diff had to be rebuilt but was because it was DRY from previous owner. (I got it on trade as a roller) thanks for the info and any more input from anyone on this. Sorry I was a little off topic. Getting back into the hobby after quite awhile now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

What speed are you looking for?