Like Tree35Likes

Hobbywing xr10 pro

Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
Got mine Thursday. Installed it today. Has anyone noticed that on the XR10 pro that there is no punch adjustment like there is on the 3.1? Can anyone explain this?
Check the other thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...tware-830.html

I got mine last weekend and tried it out, seems just as good as my 3.1 but I really like the dual punch rate so I may go back to the 3.1 and sell the XR10 pro.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pulse width modulation would in fact change top speed, unless there is some sort of curve to a proprietary end point rate that allows it to exponentially come in all the way at full pull.
If it's a stationary PWM setting your not going to be getting the pulse speed you would if you had it set to fast at any range of the throttle band.

Seems like this is how punch works to begin with I would think, and why you will see more resistance values (harder on your equipment) with a higher settings.
By slowing the PWM, all your doing is allowing the charge to have a delay, so the output pulse is going to have a stronger amperage dump for each, alternately set fast with smaller surges between pulse dumps.
Timing is just placing that pulse at the optimal firing angle to the magnets.

There is a way of knowing exactly how the operation will be effected by seeing actual data numbers in motion by reading the RPM values on different PWM settings via the data logger.

Anyhow, I will be getting one of these very soon to run on my SCTE 2.0 and possibly the Tekno 410.3 as well, which already has an XR8 on board.
Thank God they finally installed a HV BEC in their top two ESC's!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Pulse width modulation would in fact change top speed, unless there is some sort of curve to a proprietary end point rate that allows it to exponentially come in all the way at full pull.
No. PWM would change top speed only if you have your radio or ESC adjusted incorrectly, so you never get full throttle when the trigger is pulled all the way. If they are adjusted correctly, there is no PWM at full throttle, so PWM settings will not affect top speed.

There seems to be much confusion over "top speed" and throttle sensitivity (response curve). Changing the PWM frequency will (like using an exponential response curve) change how much power is delivered at each trigger position below full throttle. Higher PWM frequencies make the throttle less sensitive at the lower range of the trigger travel, and more sensitive at the higher range. But it does not change the top speed of the motor.

This is easy to verify with an oscilloscope.

Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Seems like this is how punch works to begin with I would think...
There is no industry definition for "punch", so it is up to each manufacturer to do any control over this as they see fit. However, many of the newer ESCs I have tested have a "punch rate" setting which simply slows down the application of throttle, much like an adjustment for servo speed. It can be very helpful to minimize wheelspin in lower-traction conditions.
moistAF likes this.

Last edited by howardcano; 05-01-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
No. PWM would change top speed only if you have your radio or ESC adjusted incorrectly, so you never get full throttle when the trigger is pulled all the way. If they are adjusted correctly, there is no PWM at full throttle, so PWM settings will not affect top speed.

There seems to be much confusion over "top speed" and throttle sensitivity (response curve). Changing the PWM frequency will (like using an exponential response curve) change how much power is delivered at each trigger position below full throttle. Higher PWM frequencies make the throttle less sensitive at the lower range of the trigger travel, and more sensitive at the higher range. But it does not change the top speed of the motor.

There is no industry definition for "punch", so it is up to each manufacturer to do any control over this as they see fit. However, many of the newer ESCs I have tested have a "punch rate" setting which simply slows down the application of throttle, much like an adjustment for servo speed. It can be very helpful to minimize wheelspin in lower-traction conditions.
Well that is interesting, I just assumed they didn't completely dump constant current at full range, so I stand corrected if thats not the case.

But honestly, in my opinion I can't really see the advantage of many of the complex program-abilities ESC manufacturers are investing their efforts into. A quality controller negates the need for a lot of it.
For example with my Futaba 4PX or M12S.
I can either set my punch up on my ESC one way with only 10 variable settings at fixed rates, or I can simply set the feel of the acceleration prowess by dialing that in combination with the throttle expo, even with multiple point curves for getting an exacting feel with the right amount of launch control.
I believe if many actually fully understood the capabilities of such a radio, then it would solve a lot of problems and make things much more user friendly in the end.

While I am not a spectrum fan by any means as of yet, they are about to release the android powered DX6R which will have a way to communicate with these wifi modules with their 3rd party apps. This would make a lot more sense than what we are currently dealing with.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

after a lot of rain, i got a chance to drive the xr10 pro. it drives pretty much the same as the 3.1. if you dont do a lot of changing of the options, probably there isnt much worth in buying the xr10 pro over the 3.1 120a
Old 05-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

How are you guys finding this speedo? Thinking about getting a couple or do i wait for the Muchmore fleta Pro v2?
Old 05-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

some esc settings info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpwhCZBGDw
Old 05-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone tested brake PWM freq changes?

with out changing drag brake% one car feels like drag is stronger with higher pwm freq and the other car drag feels weaker raising the pwm freq?? same esc same motor same battery
Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Anyone tested brake PWM freq changes?

with out changing drag brake% one car feels like drag is stronger with higher pwm freq and the other car drag feels weaker raising the pwm freq?? same esc same motor same battery
Can't say I have found that, it's just basically a throttle curve from what I understand
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

This esc is advertised as waterproof and dust proof. Has anyone used it in the wet conditions? I have one and was intending to use it in my outdoor car, hopefully meaning I won't have to change out or waterproof it for wet running. Anyone run it in the wet??
Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cmgreen View Post
How are you guys finding this speedo? Thinking about getting a couple or do i wait for the Muchmore fleta Pro v2?
If you currently run the Fleta Pro I would wait for the Fleta Pro V2 I love the Fleta Pro as it is an awesome speedo, thus I would imagine the V2 will have an adjustable bec.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Personally I came from the Muchmore Fleta Pro esc to the HW v3.1 and now to the XR10 Pro. I immediately found the HW speedos to be so much smoother than my MM speedos ever were regardless of the settings. My car is easier to drive as a result (both modified and 13.5 boosted).

I would very highly recommend going for the HW v3.1 or the XR10 PRO as both are class leaders in my opinion having ran both MM and LRP in the past.
airbiscuit likes this.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, just made up my side to go for the xr10 pro, think i will get some motors as well
Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cmgreen View Post
Thanks guys, just made up my side to go for the xr10 pro, think i will get some motors as well
Great choice. Also the HW G2 motors are fantastic.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Where are people putting the capacitors on their touring car? I cant see where Bruno has put them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service