Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servos Power hungry or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Servos Power hungry or not

I have run with Sawox for many years. But've always heard they use much power. What alternatives are not so power hungry. About the same quality and price. 7.4v HighVolt
Old 02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you want a servo that uses less power, you'll generally need to go to a brushless servo, none of which are typically available at the same quality/price point as what you have now. If you're not getting brownouts, I can't see a good reason for you to switch unless you upgrade all the way to something like the Futaba BLS line.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA
If you want a servo that uses less power, you'll generally need to go to a brushless servo, none of which are typically available at the same quality/price point as what you have now. If you're not getting brownouts, I can't see a good reason for you to switch unless you upgrade all the way to something like the Futaba BLS line.
Savox servo are brushless and digital and I heard they are power hungry but I would like to know if it is a fact?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Savox servo are brushless and digital and I heard they are power hungry but I would like to know if it is a fact?
The majority of Savox servos you see in car applications are from their coreless, not brushless line, i.e. the 1257/58's and all servos these days are "digital." They do offer brushless servos as well but those don't seem to have the popularity that others do.

Until all servo companies publish draw figures measured to a universal standard/method, the evidence that one brand uses more power than another is purely anecdotal but a search on "Savox" and "Brownout" brings up a more than a coincidental level of correlation.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

There have been some posts with measured current use for Savox compared to other brand servos. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them right now.

As I remember a popular Savox model tested had spikes in the 10A range, much higher than the other popular brands tested. Average draw used wasn't too bad, but the spikes still cause issues. This was using an oscilloscope to properly capture the spikes, a regular multimeter would not be sufficient.

At least some of the brushless models appear to be better. But I don't recall seeing any measured with a 'scope for true confirmation.