Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
$300 to upgrade radio or Charger or BOTH? >

$300 to upgrade radio or Charger or BOTH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$300 to upgrade radio or Charger or BOTH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default $300 to upgrade radio or Charger or BOTH?

I currently have equipment that is old, but still functions for what I need. I have a KO PROPO EX-11 Presto FM radio and a Duratrax Intellipeak ICE charger. While dated, they both function fine and work for what I need to do. I have been thinking of upgrading my radio so the 1990's antenna doesn't bother anyone (and myself), but I am not sure if I should consider upgrading my charger AND my radio, or just choose one of them. I currently only use 2S batteries which the Duratrax can handle, and my KO Propo has plenty of adjustability for my needs (thought some of the switches are getting hard to press or don't always work).

If you think I should upgrade my radio and my charger, please give me some ideas as to a way I should go. Keep in mind, I only plan on charging 2S batteries and I currently only run 17.5 blinky with my B5M Factory Lite.

Otherwise, im thinking of just upgrading my radio to a Futaba or Airtronics beginner radio (MX-V or 3P-L).

I have not even glanced at new chargers and have no idea what the new things are as I have been out of racing for 9 years. I have a standalone balancer so I have everything I think I could need except for dual charging functionality.

Let me know what you think would work out best for me
Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm actually going backwards in my Rc voyage. I went from a 4pls to a 3pl..

I'm very happy with the 3pl I also ordered a hitec x1 charger plus.. Great charger this is the 2nd one I have owned.. Should meet all your basic charging needs.
Both can be had at Towerhobbies for around 180$ with coupon code

Last edited by rannblod; 02-15-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, so far I am thinking I may just upgrade the radio and live with my charger. I'm not sure if the features in the 300 radios are worth it or not.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Dennis,
I race at IRH too. The Futaba 4PL is what I use, my son a 4PLS. That would take $200 out of your budget. Or a Airtronics M4. I prefer the Futaba because the receivers are relatively cheap and I have lots of models.

Do you have a DC power supply? If so, then you can snag, IMHO, a great charger - the Hitec X1 Pro - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMEY&P=7

It works really nicely and while I'd like to have an iCharger, the Hitec does everything I want it to well.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm just getting into racing, but I have an Airtronics MX-V ($99 on Amazon) and a Hitec X2 AC Plus charger ($85 w/Tower coupon).

The radio seems to have all the important features of any of the more expensive ones and works great.

The charger has a 100W built-in power supply that can charge 2 batteries at once. It also balances (I think they all do now) and reads internal battery resistance, has storage mode, etc. Again, all the basic features you'll find in the more expensive models.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I HAVE AN MT4 THEY ARE NICE BUT LACK A BACK LIT SCREEN WHICH IN MY OPINION IS REDICULOUS FOR THAT PRICE LINE, MT4S IS NICE BUT A LITTLE PRICIER. HAVE SEEN THE GRAUPNER X8-N BUT HAVE NOT DRIVEN WITH ONE THAT IS A GOOD LOOOKING RADIO BUT LITTLE SUPPORT STATE SIDE. I HAVE AN MX-V IT FEELS LIKE A CHEAP RADIO IN THE HAND BUT DOES PERFORM WELL. I REC ASKING BUDDIES TO TRY THEIRS FOR A FEW LAPS OR MAYBE EVEN A RACE DAY IF THEY ARE GOOD FRIENDS LOL, YOU WILL KNOW THE RIGHT RADIO AFTER A FEW LAPS.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jslider
I HAVE AN MT4 THEY ARE NICE BUT LACK A BACK LIT SCREEN WHICH IN MY OPINION IS REDICULOUS FOR THAT PRICE LINE, MT4S IS NICE BUT A LITTLE PRICIER. HAVE SEEN THE GRAUPNER X8-N BUT HAVE NOT DRIVEN WITH ONE THAT IS A GOOD LOOOKING RADIO BUT LITTLE SUPPORT STATE SIDE. I HAVE AN MX-V IT FEELS LIKE A CHEAP RADIO IN THE HAND BUT DOES PERFORM WELL. I REC ASKING BUDDIES TO TRY THEIRS FOR A FEW LAPS OR MAYBE EVEN A RACE DAY IF THEY ARE GOOD FRIENDS LOL, YOU WILL KNOW THE RIGHT RADIO AFTER A FEW LAPS.
Why all the yelling?

I don't think using all caps is achieving the desired positive impact I assume is intended with many of your posts. Quite the opposite even.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Why all the yelling?

I don't think using all caps is achieving the desired positive impact I assume is intended with many of your posts. Quite the opposite even.
Don't waste your time Dave. I've brought it up to him before, he doesn't care/doesn't get it.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Why all the yelling?

Sort of the opposite of Archy and Mehitabel, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archy_and_Mehitabel
Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
Yeah, so far I am thinking I may just upgrade the radio and live with my charger. I'm not sure if the features in the 300 radios are worth it or not.
Look around on eBay you can find a Futuba 4pls with 2 receivers 200$ shipped .. l would post a link but I'm not sure how.. There pretty easy to find.. Probably more features than you will ever use but it s a really nice system.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Hmm, definitely considering a 4pls (can't find anyone who sell a 4pl) and the hitec x1 charger. Keeps me just about my budget (with coupons) and it seems I'll get all the functionality I need along with modern interfaces keep ideas coming though please!

I searched eBay for the 4pls with 2 receivers for 200 but couldn't find it
Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
Hmm, definitely considering a 4pls (can't find anyone who sell a 4pl) and the hitec x1 charger. Keeps me just about my budget (with coupons) and it seems I'll get all the functionality I need along with modern interfaces keep ideas coming though please!

I searched eBay for the 4pls with 2 receivers for 200 but couldn't find it
I couldn't find it either they must have sold out..
Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gearhead82
I'm just getting into racing, but I have an Airtronics MX-V ($99 on Amazon) and a Hitec X2 AC Plus charger ($85 w/Tower coupon).

The radio seems to have all the important features of any of the more expensive ones and works great.

The charger has a 100W built-in power supply that can charge 2 batteries at once. It also balances (I think they all do now) and reads internal battery resistance, has storage mode, etc. Again, all the basic features you'll find in the more expensive models.
Nice charger wish I would have shoped around a bit more,,, Definitely would have ordered this unit instead of the x1 plus..

OK I dupped myself and was watching videos of the pro model with the built in soldering station... I still like the fact that it reads IR ... But i won't be booting my X1 just yet..

Last edited by rannblod; 02-16-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rannblod
Nice charger wish I would have shoped around a bit more,,, Definitely would have ordered this unit instead of the x1 plus..

OK I dupped myself and was watching videos of the pro model with the built in soldering station... I still like the fact that it reads IR ... But i won't be booting my X1 just yet..
Yeah I originally bought the X1 and liked it fine except the cooling fan was defective and squealed like a banshee. I know I could have probably taken it apart and lubed the fan but decided to return it and try the X2 instead since the fan is a common complaint on the X1. Not sure if I need any of the extra power or features at this point but it's nice knowing I can grow into the X2 if I start running multiple classes or 4s or something down the line.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer1812
Don't waste your time Dave. I've brought it up to him before, he doesn't care/doesn't get it.
Sometimes ya just have to go for the Hail Mary. Risky as it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.