Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M12S vs Spektrum DX6R

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default M12S vs Spektrum DX6R

I already put my pre order in for the new DX6R as I've only had Spektrum radios.
I would like to know everyone's opinion on the M12S and the DX4R Pro since those are the top radios for each brand.

Please share!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Depends on what you want to use your radio for.

The M12S is perhaps one of the best radios you can get, the most preferred radio in classes where fast radios are a must.

The M12S, according to the manufacturer, has a below 1ms latency rate, where the Spektrum DX6R has 5.5ms.

Looking at the specs, the Spektrum seems like a radio made for the Iphone generation with emphasis on touch screen and wireless connectivity, not the serious racer.

Again, looking at the specs, the M12S and Spektrum DX6R looks to be two completely different radios targeted at different segments.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah it is based off an android system just like every smart phone that's not an iPad and that's the way of the future. I'm sure if they wanted to it could be hooked up to ur phone and text and surf the web etc. but then again what does that have to do with racing lol.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

I was gonna wait but $500 is the most I want to spend and really hope sanwa or futaba is comes with 2 rx in that price range because I've heard how expensive airtronocs rx are but I only have 2 soon to be 3 rc cars that I race so it's not that big of a deal. I have a DX4C now and I am wondering what Sanwa or Futaba is the best bang for my buck in the $250-499$ range
Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you want all "bling" features go for DX6R. Interesting but I would not like to mix Android and Tx - unless they have 2 fully independent parts - with steering in real time and rest fully separated.
If you want racing radio and accept heavier weight and need deom down wheel buy M12S.
If you want racing, lighter radio and can live without drop-down wheel, go for MT-4S - bit slower from M12, still faster from DX6R, and you will fit 2 RXes in the price (300+2x100).
I do not know Futabas, as they are rare around, with most people rely on Sanwa and Spectum.

Update: Even better get Airtronics MT-4S 40th Anniversary for 400$ with carrying bag and 2 RXes in package.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As the DX6R thread pointed out, The android part and the TX part is completely separate. If the android glitches out, the radio will still transmit. You just cant make any changes without rebooting the radio, which come to think of it, it takes 30seconds to a few mins to boot up android. It would suck if you have to wait that long everytime you turn your radio on to go race

Im not sure where the OP is from, but I dont think Futaba is as rare as you make it seem as they have been around for ages and has become one of the go to radios for most. Receivers are much cheaper for the Futaba as well with the T-FHSS model at under 40 bucks.

Be sure to test out the M12 first before you dive straight into it. Get a feel of the radio in your hands and see if you like the size, weight, menu etc. If you have been a long time Spektrum user, it might feel VERY weird and heavy for you
Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
Depends on what you want to use your radio for.

The M12S is perhaps one of the best radios you can get, the most preferred radio in classes where fast radios are a must.

The M12S, according to the manufacturer, has a below 1ms latency rate, where the Spektrum DX6R has 5.5ms.

Looking at the specs, the Spektrum seems like a radio made for the Iphone generation with emphasis on touch screen and wireless connectivity, not the serious racer.

Again, looking at the specs, the M12S and Spektrum DX6R looks to be two completely different radios targeted at different segments.
Ive seen many serious racers with specktrum radios. They are both good radios, and I seriously doubt anyone will be able to tell the diff between the two latency rates!! With the android interface, no doubt this radio will be ahead of the pack.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by derekbsmith
Ive seen many serious racers with specktrum radios. They are both good radios, and I seriously doubt anyone will be able to tell the diff between the two latency rates!! With the android interface, no doubt this radio will be ahead of the pack.
Here in Europe there are no serious racers using Spektrum. Maybe some in the off road classes, but almost none in onroad.

And I guess that it is commonly known that Spektrum is not on the same level as Sanwa/Airtronics and Futaba, both quality wise and latency etc.

And I bet you that any serious racer can feel the difference between a mid range 5-6ms radio and a top range radio 1ms radio.

If you cannot, good for you, you can then buy a cheaper radio and be happy. That doesn't mean that others cannot.

And the argument that the radio will be ahead of the pack because it runs android. It is totally irrelevant for the serious racer. When you race, there is only one thing that matters, and that's the contact with your car. Like real racecars, were all is stripped and everything has a purpose to improve performance.

As said previously, the radios seems to target different segments. As long as the Spektrum is sub par on the signal, it will never be the natural preferred top level radio, unless Spektrum pays some racer a lot of money to use it.

Last edited by Salkin; 02-15-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by disaster999
Im not sure where the OP is from, but I dont think Futaba is as rare as you make it seem as they have been around for ages and has become one of the go to radios for most. Receivers are much cheaper for the Futaba as well with the T-FHSS model at under 40 bucks.
Hmm, that is not what I meant - I was just addressing question and comparing Sanwa and Spectrum with sidenote on very little experience with Futaba as I do not see them often around me - i.e. in Poland. So I cannot compare that to Sanwas and Spectrums I see and have chance to evaluate / use. Experience (may) vary based on location/country.

Last edited by Yorick; 02-15-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

I am from Michigan and I see mostly futaba then Spektrum then sawna is the order from most popular to least I'd say
Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I believe that Spektrum is especially predominant in the US.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Salkin
There is latency and there is framerate. The latency of 1ms I do believe with Sanwa but its framerate is 2.23ms

The 5.5ms with the spectrum is for sure the framerate, the latency should be low as well. My old Futaba HRS TX modul with the special HRS receiver has a latency of 3ms and that is technology of more than 10 years ago.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Android on an RC radio? Whatever next lol. Samsung put android on a camera too and that was crap as well. They'd be better off actually concentrating on a radio that didn't glitch or suffer brown out all of the time. Saikin is right spektrum is non-existent for serious racers in Europe and most of Asia as well it is left for the RTR market and for good reason. I have no idea why it seems popular in the USA in the off-road sector. Price?

Go with the M12S, MT4S or the Futaba systems. Sanwa is the class leader by far and will remain so even when the Android Spektrum comes out. How many onroad world champions have used a Spektrum radio?!?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

ok so we have that straightened out, Europe and onroad guys do not use Spektrum. USA offroad guys including the likes of Dustin Evans (TLR) use Spektrum. I have a Futaba 4pl and I am not that impressed after over a year with it, next! If I have bad luck with the DX6R, I'll return it. But to say serious racers do not use Spektrum is BS.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derekbsmith
ok so we have that straightened out, Europe and onroad guys do not use Spektrum. USA offroad guys including the likes of Dustin Evans (TLR) use Spektrum. I have a Futaba 4pl and I am not that impressed after over a year with it, next! If I have bad luck with the DX6R, I'll return it. But to say serious racers do not use Spektrum is BS.
That's because TLR/Horizon/Spektrum are basically the same thing so that's why TLR drivers are forced to run Spektrum!! Given the choice I think they'd run something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.