Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
*NEWBIE QUESTION* Transmitters Explained >

*NEWBIE QUESTION* Transmitters Explained

*NEWBIE QUESTION* Transmitters Explained

Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default *NEWBIE QUESTION* Transmitters Explained

Hey everyone. Im new to rc/off road racing. I recently bought a scte 2.0 (used) that is setup well (well beyond my ability).

I have a spektrum dx2 radio right now.

I went to my first race yesterday, and with asking as much advice as I could at the club race. The most common response was that a better transmitter will help me out (besides getting A LOT of track time in)

I was gathering so much info at the race that I was hard to retain it all.

Could some of you veteran racers on here please explain the features/benefits of a higher end transmitter? I am having a hard time searching to find what everything does on these. (for example. What is the benefit of a 4 channel radio for a surface radio?)

Please point me in the right direction (any other advice will be well appreciated)

Thanks
Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

The main thing that matter is response time, then accuracy and reliability of the signal. All else is just BS.

Some functions might be needed for some models like brake mixing, abs etc. but you would probably know if you needed them.

For response time Graupner and the high end Sanwas are top. Graupner does state 1.5 ms, and the Sanwas just state they are the fastest but with no numbers to actually back it up. Also very important is that the response time remains constant. The cheap ones can fluctuate from 30ms to 70ms or even more randomly.

Bad news is none of this can be measured easily and you won't find it in the tech specs. So people usually choose what the top guys run which is mostly Sanwa.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

thank you. after digging around quite a bit last night, it looks like the MT-4s is the way to go for the money. I also did some searching on the individual adjustability and its starting to make sense (there is a LOT to learn with setup/etc).
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want to improve response time especially steering, you will want to invest in a fast servo to match. No meaning getting a great radio but slow servo.. (or great radio but poor driving).. these all work together.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

With that transmitter you must be able to set fast laptimes. A high framerate and a low latency is nice to have but you can get used to it. The 10ms gain you can make with a high end transmitter is nice but if you run servo's slower than 0.1 sec there is a lot more to gain with 0.07sec or even today 0.06sec or faster servo's.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

The only features you actually need are channel trims and end-point adjustment. Everything else is just convenient to have. All Spektrum transmitters have those features, even the DX2E, although EPAs are kinda hidden (something to do with holding brake while switching it on and fiddling with the dials).

Without EPA set properly, you may be literally limiting the amount of steering, throttle, or braking your car can do because the servos aren't being told to travel far enough.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Every transmitter has trimming, and every one with a display does have an epa adjustment. And actually every one above twenty bucks has a screen nowadays.

Transmitter response time is far more important than servo speed. You never actually go instantly from zero to full lock while driving, it's more important to have the car react immediately to start turning at the right time. Of course faster is always better, but a servo below 0.10s is just fine.

I also have the MT-4s, great radio. But value for money is by miles better with the Graupner X-8n.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks everyone for the great info. My scte does currently have a great servo (hitec 7950th).

I do know it's deff the Indian and not the bow. I'm gonna keep running my transmitter until I improve on the driving side of things (or unless I find a better one used at a price I can't pass on).