reedy 800z black box paired with 17.5 reedy. drat brake will not work x 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reedy 800z black box paired with 17.5 reedy. drat brake will not work x 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Talked to the tech, apparently the drag brake is 10 stronger in reverse than forward. So it looks like it's not working but it is. He said he got quite a few returned when they first came out due to this.

I had another issue so waiting to get it back again.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That doesn't make any sense, why would it be so much stronger for reverse???
Old 07-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I purchased the Reedy 410R ESC and noticed I was having the same issue. For me, the solution was to turn off the ABS or pulse breaking option on my transmitter.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nubs
That doesn't make any sense, why would it be so much stronger for reverse???
The reverse brake is not drag brake and has nothing to do with drag brake. it is not adjustable in any way. This is set very strong so that the user can reverse his car and move into forward more quickly. The ESC is designed so that the user can't begin moving forward until the car comes to a complete stop. The faster it does, the faster you can begin moving forward.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I just set up a 1000Z+ and assumed the same as everyone else here: that the percentage under Drag Brake is a percentage of the Braking power set under Brake Frequency; just like how Max Brake Strength is calculated. So according to what I've read then: Drag Brake is a percentage of the Max Brake Strength, and the Drag Brake coming out of reverse is 10x Drag Brake.

It would be cool if Drag Brake could act more like Max Brake Strength, that way we have direct control over the Drag Braking force.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The reverse brake is not drag brake and has nothing to do with drag brake. it is not adjustable in any way. This is set very strong so that the user can reverse his car and move into forward more quickly. The ESC is designed so that the user can't begin moving forward until the car comes to a complete stop. The faster it does, the faster you can begin moving forward.
Ok So that explains the reverse, which is the least of the problems. Why did Reedy decide to make the drag break so weak in the 800z? The 410R works perfectly.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nubs
Ok So that explains the reverse, which is the least of the problems. Why did Reedy decide to make the drag break so weak in the 800z? The 410R works perfectly.
The drag brake selections (limited unlike 410R) were based on the best options for 1/10 off-road and TC onroad requirements.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

The drag brake selections (limited unlike 410R) were based on the best options for 1/10 off-road and TC onroad requirements.
I think mine is simply broken then because I can set them to the same level of drag and the 410r works whereas the 800z doesn't seem to work at all.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just bought the 1000z from Tower, same issue. No drag brake in forward, but it works in reverse. Manual Brake works. I run 17.5 blinky, when in neutral this speed control will show a solid red LED and a blinking green LED (F/B/R, 0° timing)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

I have similar problems. The drag brake only engage sometime, and the reverse is hard to get to work. I did recalibrate the esc several times, to came to the conclusion that the neutral range of the esc is way to narrow for the radio used. Actually I've experiment with several Spektrum radio and receivers, all leading to the conclusion that this esc should only be used with high-end radio. Their is no way to make it work on a Spektrum. It would be okay if we could adjust the neutral band width, but their no such tuning option on this esc.

I never had this problem with other esc. I might have to return it and run a cheap Hobbywing Juststock to match my cheap average driver Spektrum radio or get their fully programmable 510R.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What happens when you manually brake? Do the brakes work? The drag brake can only give you a small percentage of this value, set as a percentage of maximum brakes (up to 30%).

The braking action from reverse to forward is not part of the drag brake setting.
Rick the problem is this. You say that drag brake is only a small percentage of the brake setting but the problem that we are having is that we have 0% drag brake. If I turn the drag brake off and let off the throttle the car rolls. When I set the drag brake to 30% it rolls the same amount of distance. And as for the drag brake in reverse, it actually works. If I turn the drag brake off and let off of the throttle the car rolls. If I turn the drag brake to 30% the car stops when I let off of the reverse throttle. I have two 800z's both running Reedy motors and both with DX4C transmitters. They both do the same thing. In my non-proffesional opinion I thing the software is reversed. I have tried reversing my settings on the transmitters also.
Rick, thank you for your response to earlier posts and taking time to hear our concerns. Any help with this would be appreciated by a lot of us.