Search
Like Tree183Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 AM
1M
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I used the stock wheel, a couple wraps of servo tape to take up the gap.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1M
I used the stock wheel, a couple wraps of servo tape to take up the gap.
And it stays snug? Only reason I ask is because there would be no lip to hold it.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 AM
1M
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn

And it stays snug? Only reason I ask is because there would be no lip to hold it.
works fine, far the right amount on so it's snug. Tiny bit of dish soap on the grip to help it slide.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I have been a lurker on this forum for a little while now mostly reading up on the DX6R. I am currently in a jam. I have the Traction Hobby Founder II which uses 5 servos plus the ESC. Although the stock radio it came with is ok, I prefer to keep all of my cars on one radio when possible.

I have a Spektrum DX8 (Gen1) that I use for my heli's and have had zero issues so I am familiar with Spektrum at least on the Air side. I also have an Airtronics/Sanwa MT-4 that I have used for years on my surface vehicles and love it. Recently upgraded to the Sanwa MT-44 and really like it too; however, Sanwa doesn't make any radios that offer more than 4 channels. My only quality choices for a radio over 4 channels seems to be Futaba 7PX and the DX6R. I am leaning more toward the DX6R mostly because, from my understanding, the 7PX can only access channels 5-7 if you are using analog servos. Still trying to clarify this for certain though. Of the 5 servos on the Founder II, I have upgraded 3 of them to digital. I read through the manual for the DX6R and it doesn't mention any such limitation.

My concern though is the reliability of the DX6R. It does seem that most if not all of the previous issues I have read about have been fixed. But I am still a bit on the fence because I have yet to find a video or post from a consumer that has recently bought the DX6R and was able to verify all of the problems and annoyances are gone. Quality issues on the DX6R seemed to be lacking (specifically the door/cover doesn't stay closed on top and the screen not turning back on) originally. Another issue that bothers me is the slowness of the menus. Android gets slow....I have seen video of the menus on the DX6R lagging which can be very annoying. Seems that the hardware is not up to par for this radio. I read on here that some people that sent their radios in for repair had also gotten an Android update, however, it does not seem that we as consumers can do that on our own. I don't know if the Android update would help with some of the slowness on menus but, will a brand new DX6R have the same updated Android?

Anyway, on the current radio I have for the Founder II, I have a push button to function the 2wd/4wd, 3 position switch that functions between Low/High gear and two rotating dials that each function the front and rear diff lock/unlock. I don't think I need two rotating dials but can I assume that there are enough buttons/switches to be able to do what I need?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragbug

I have a Spektrum DX8 (Gen1) that I use for my heli's and have had zero issues so I am familiar with Spektrum at least on the Air side. I also have an Airtronics/Sanwa MT-4 that I have used for years on my surface vehicles and love it. Recently upgraded to the Sanwa MT-44 and really like it too; however, Sanwa doesn't make any radios that offer more than 4 channels. My only quality choices for a radio over 4 channels seems to be Futaba 7PX and the DX6R. I am leaning more toward the DX6R mostly because, from my understanding, the 7PX can only access channels 5-7 if you are using analog servos. Still trying to clarify this for certain though. Of the 5 servos on the Founder II, I have upgraded 3 of them to digital. I read through the manual for the DX6R and it doesn't mention any such limitation. I ran a DX4C on a Traxxas Summit equipped with all digital servos, had no issues. Cannot see why the 6R won't be able to do the same.
​​​​
My concern though is the reliability of the DX6R. It does seem that most if not all of the previous issues I have read about have been fixed. But I am still a bit on the fence because I have yet to find a video or post from a consumer that has recently bought the DX6R and was able to verify all of the problems and annoyances are gone. Quality issues on the DX6R seemed to be lacking (specifically the door/cover doesn't stay closed on top and the screen not turning back on) originally. Another issue that bothers me is the slowness of the menus. Android gets slow....I have seen video of the menus on the DX6R lagging which can be very annoying. Seems that the hardware is not up to par for this radio. I read on here that some people that sent their radios in for repair had also gotten an Android update, however, it does not seem that we as consumers can do that on our own. I don't know if the Android update would help with some of the slowness on menus but, will a brand new DX6R have the same updated Android?

The SD card door is still an issue. I found that trimming the end that slots in let's it set in better, it's still loose and a bit annoying however. Initial quality of the radio is high IMO. I've had none of the previous mentioned issues in a month of using it. The touchscreen has not acted up once, the battery life has been good. I'm getting 5-6 hours of it being on constantly before it shuts down. I don't have a place to plug it in where I run. I've not noticed the menus being slow, bit I have noticed that the boot time is kind of long, this doesn't bother me all that much.

Anyway, on the current radio I have for the Founder II, I have a push button to function the 2wd/4wd, 3 position switch that functions between Low/High gear and two rotating dials that each function the front and rear diff lock/unlock. I don't think I need two rotating dials but can I assume that there are enough buttons/switches to be able to do what I need?

There are plenty of buttons you can assign on the 6R. I don't run anything that requires the use of them currently, Soni have not programmed anything aside from standard trims and dual rate.

Keep in mind, I started with very basic radio gear, moved up to a DX4C, had that for years, and bought the 6R. I do not regret my purchase. The radio is a bit much for what I actually do, but the functions I want are definitely there. This far, my ownership of it has been great. I've no real complaints aside from the stupid SD card door.

I've always wanted to answer questions like that, with the red type. Lol!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you really need the use of the Android features? If not, get the DX5 Pro. I will say, I don't think the issues with Android are Spektrum problems directly. With how open Android is, there are many compatibility issues that it opens up. Other things not in the R/C space have similar issues with Android compatibility. I decided to go with a DX5R (the Pro wasn't available when I bought mine) to avoid the Android headache. If I were doing it again today, I would go for the DX5 Pro.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer
Keep in mind, I started with very basic radio gear, moved up to a DX4C, had that for years, and bought the 6R. I do not regret my purchase. The radio is a bit much for what I actually do, but the functions I want are definitely there. This far, my ownership of it has been great. I've no real complaints aside from the stupid SD card door.

I've always wanted to answer questions like that, with the red type. Lol!
Thanks for the information! The problem with the 7PX that I was explaining is that it will use 4 channels just fine and doesn't matter if you are using digital or analog. The problem arises if you want to use channels 5-7. From my understanding, you must use analog servos to be able to use channels 5-7. You said you are using 4 of the 6 channels that the DX6R has. The first 4 channels of the 7PX are not the issue.

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Do you really need the use of the Android features? If not, get the DX5 Pro. I will say, I don't think the issues with Android are Spektrum problems directly. With how open Android is, there are many compatibility issues that it opens up. Other things not in the R/C space have similar issues with Android compatibility. I decided to go with a DX5R (the Pro wasn't available when I bought mine) to avoid the Android headache. If I were doing it again today, I would go for the DX5 Pro.
No, I don't need the android features and honestly, I would rather not have android at all. I love the touch screen and functions of the Futaba 7PX but the limitation using digital servos have brought me back to looking at the DX6R. That said, I need 6 channels, not 5. The Founder II uses a servo for 2wd/4wd, one for low/high gear, one for front diff lock/unlock and one for rear diff lock/unlock. The I have the steering and the ESC. The Flysky FS-GT5 is a 6 channel radio and is the one that comes with the Founder II. It's an ok radio but cheap with limited adjustment ability.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Must have misread it somewhere concerning channel usage... Lol. I guess the 6R is kind of geared towards people who are using ESC tuning devices like the Tekin Hotwire, and HobbyWing Bluetooth modules. It also reads Spektrum telemetry right on the screen like the 7PX. When originally looking to replace my DX4C, I had been considering the FlySky NB4 Noble, Futaba 7PX, and The DX6R. As soon as I found out about the ability to run the Tekin and HW apps.. I ordered it. Not, of course, after reading this extensive thread. Lol.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I swapped in a Castle Creations Mamba X into my rig and since they have an app for Android (currently using the IOS version on my phone) I assume I would be able to program the ESC from the DX6R as well. Unfortunately, that does zero for the channel issue lol. Would be cool to be able to do the ESC tuning from the radio though. Still on the fence mostly because I am waiting for confirmation that the 7PX can't do more than 4 channels using digital servos. If that ends up being the case, I will most likely buy the DX6R.
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

I swapped in a Castle Creations Mamba X into my rig and since they have an app for Android (currently using the IOS version on my phone) I assume I would be able to program the ESC from the DX6R as well. Unfortunately, that does zero for the channel issue lol. Would be cool to be able to do the ESC tuning from the radio though. Still on the fence mostly because I am waiting for confirmation that the 7PX can't do more than 4 channels using digital servos. If that ends up being the case, I will most likely buy the DX6R.
I would recommend that you try sending user nikos2002 a DM... He’s a Spektrum rep on this board, so I’m sure he can get you the answer you need with regard to digital channel support. I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t been around, but given that they just launched that new line of SMART ESC’s they are probably busy.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry catching up on posts.... spending to much doing FB Live with the the Losi/SMART product launch.

For using 4 digital servos. Go for it. Just need to bind the 6 channel receiver in non-AVC mode (no big deal) because AVC actually uses 2 of the channels. Best thing about the 6R, IMBO (in my biased opinion- haha), is all the options you have. Use android features, don’t use android. Best, easiest, touch screen to use. Adjustment options- program your switch’s, ergonomic adjustments, change colors on the display, add your vehicle pics to your models. I could go on.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nikos2002
Sorry catching up on posts.... spending to much doing FB Live with the the Losi/SMART product launch.

For using 4 digital servos. Go for it. Just need to bind the 6 channel receiver in non-AVC mode (no big deal) because AVC actually uses 2 of the channels. Best thing about the 6R, IMBO (in my biased opinion- haha), is all the options you have. Use android features, don’t use android. Best, easiest, touch screen to use. Adjustment options- program your switch’s, ergonomic adjustments, change colors on the display, add your vehicle pics to your models. I could go on.
Haha, I figured it was keeping you busy.

EDIT: OHHH SO CLOSE to being able to call the DX6R a "World Championship winning" radio... In either case - I've read more than once about how "so and so" TLR driver was running a DX5 radio instead of the DX6R, insinuating that even their drivers don't have the confidence to use it at big races. Well, it was pretty clear that Dakotah was using the DX6R, so it can at least be called "WC A-Main worthy" - In before the claims that he lost because he suffered a glitch...

Anyway, I've asked enough questions, I've gotten them answered, and what the heck - I'm gonna go ahead and get the radio. I already ordered the optional steering dropdown (to make sure I can get my lucky Kimbrough steering horn on there), and will see when I can actually get the radio. Gotta start thinking about Xmas for the kids already... Hopefully, Daddy can get something nice too.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 09-21-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Heyyyy... do I get a check for pointing out the Marketing potential of Dakotah’s P2 finish using the DX6R? I just noticed the TLR home page, lol.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

Is a way to recalibrate the radio controls, if say you make adjustments to the hardware. I.E. wheel/trigger adjustments. Reason I ask is, I adjusted the spring tension on the trigger and now all of my cars read a -4/5% on the throttle monitor. I can correct it with trim settings, but I feel this is not the correct way to go about it.

​​​​​​I have recalibrated the TX/ESC thinking that was the issue.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Anyone notice that they posted Phend was using the DX6R Pro? Wonder if it's just going to come with the new drop down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.