Search
Like Tree183Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns about the radio knockoff, and like you said, It’s nice to see someone representing the company taking the time to answer questions about the product, so thank you for that, Nikos2002.

Well, as I mentioned above, I told myself to come back to the hobby with an open mind... I’ve got a hurricane to deal with first (yep, I’m in Florida - although it’s aiming for well North of me ATM), so I will be seriously considering the DX6R.... I mean, heck - if it gives me a hard time, I can always sell it for whatever I can get and just get myself the Futaba like I was originally planning. 😛

You be safe man...
Old 09-02-2019, 05:08 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer
Believe it or not, I forgot about sleep mode, I'm an idiot. Lol. Not sure how to put it to sleep. I'm also unsure of how to prevent a runaway in case of transmitter shut down.

The standard wheel on the 7PX is similar in size to the standard 6R wheel. Customer picked up his 7PX today, gorgeous transmitter. I still like the 6R more. Just really wish there was a lanyard point on it.

Thanks for the replies Nikos... Greatly appreciated. Love that a Spektrum insider comes here.
See post #1481 regarding the lanyard. The Xtreme Racing cover has a lanyard mount on it. Like you, I wish the radio had a build in eyelet but this works well.
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks! I've been looking for that exact post, lol. I know I read it when I originally read through this, just been on the hunt for it again.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns about the radio knockoff, and like you said, It’s nice to see someone representing the company taking the time to answer questions about the product, so thank you for that, Nikos2002.

Well, as I mentioned above, I told myself to come back to the hobby with an open mind... I’ve got a hurricane to deal with first (yep, I’m in Florida - although it’s aiming for well North of me ATM), so I will be seriously considering the DX6R.... I mean, heck - if it gives me a hard time, I can always sell it for whatever I can get and just get myself the Futaba like I was originally planning. 😛
First, used to live in Port St. Lucie and went through 2 hurricanes in a week back in '04, so I know the anxiety around the hurricanes, most scared I have ever been..... so be safe.
Second, glad that you come into it with an open mind, you need to with all r/c products now a days. But chances of issues are there with any product, would be lying to say otherwise. 6R got a bad reputation from the early issues... they desired it - there were issues. But we have fixed them. Its a great working radio, it has the ability to do more than any surface radio on the market. Does that mean there are "limits" - sure, but they are not as limiting as some make them out to be. I touch many different versions of radios throughout a day/week, but going back to the 6R is always a pleasure. Its the best... until I make something better!!! haha!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nikos2002
First, used to live in Port St. Lucie and went through 2 hurricanes in a week back in '04, so I know the anxiety around the hurricanes, most scared I have ever been..... so be safe.
Second, glad that you come into it with an open mind, you need to with all r/c products now a days. But chances of issues are there with any product, would be lying to say otherwise. 6R got a bad reputation from the early issues... they desired it - there were issues. But we have fixed them. Its a great working radio, it has the ability to do more than any surface radio on the market. Does that mean there are "limits" - sure, but they are not as limiting as some make them out to be. I touch many different versions of radios throughout a day/week, but going back to the 6R is always a pleasure. Its the best... until I make something better!!! haha!
Ah, I’ve had family in PSL for 30 years and visit often, so I can relate...

Anyway, I took the time to go back and read the other 124 pages (before I showed up) to take it all in... Wow, that was a lot of issues... but at the same time, it was a lot of issues attended to and resolved by the team over the span of time since this radio was released.

No new product release ever goes perfectly - just ask Apple... and no doubt, I’m sure that the early struggles cost Spektrum some business. In the end though, I was pleasantly surprised that along the way, someone has been here to respond on behalf of the company to either offer workarounds or make sure that R&D was made aware of the issues. I was somewhat amazed that they went as far as to update the older radios with the newer BT chips to keep up with the link modules provided by Tekin/Hobbywing.

I said above that me and my open mind were open to try something new for a change. 18 years away from the hobby is a long time. And while the pain was significant with this product release, it’s at least refreshing to know that someone is pushing boundaries to try something different.... and hey, if I have a great experience, I’ll be sure to post it on here and make it known to anyone that asks. The biggest obstacle that I think Spektrum faces (as someone who has been wandering through various Social Media outlets), is the notion that they aren’t “serious” radios. If it turns out that I have great experiences once I get back to “enthusiast” level, I’ll be sure to do what I can to help dispel that notion. Honestly, it’s the biggest hurdle I feel the company faces day to day - at least in the Surface segment. I haven’t seen nearly anything close to the level of bashing in the Air segment. Dare I say, it seems as if the iX12 has been much better received than its Surface counterpart - not that I’ve been looking that hard, haha. Anyway, just my $.02

nikos2002, if you don’t mind, I have just a few questions that I’d like to ask you via PM that are critical to my purchasing decision, as I don’t think they have too much relevance to specifically the radio itself; it’s more of a general Spektrum thing. Thanks.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 09-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

TurnNBurn - PM's answered. You make a good point, and in my point of view, the hard part of today's social media is once enough people want to give negative comments, its "fun" to try and change people's minds. Note - a competitor had issues with a radio launch, there were recalls, required updates,etc… but that didn't seem to effect them in the social media world. To this day, some on social media will say 6R will not work due to issues when it launched. If you are on a good side of social media its certainly easier. But we work really hard to make new products, develop new technologies and make everyone's hobby experience better - that will not stop, can't wait to show off what is in the works.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

What's in the works.... Better not be some fancy new DSM protocol... I just bought the thing! LMFAO!

I miss forums like this one. Not a fan of how some of my favorite forums have been superceded by Facebook and all of its negative garbage. Not saying that forums are all sun shine and unicorn farts, negativity will always have a presence. It's the people who possess an instant gratification clause who seem to be the first doubters, IMHO. I spent a few months reading this thread before I made up my mind. Watching Nikos and the others attempt to work with forum readers to figure out their newly acquired transmitters and come up with work arounds... Was what really sold me. First I heard of the 6R was a video produced by ShortCourse world, Jason Snyder. I was triggered right then.

I do have one gripe about Spektrum. The website. Looking up accessory and replacement parts seems like a chore. I wanted to read about the optional drop down wheel for the 6R and I had to go into the manuals area to even find it. It's just something completely unrelated to the topic. Lol.

Thanks for the help to the Spektrum crew. Can't wait to see what comes next for it.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer
What's in the works.... Better not be some fancy new DSM protocol... I just bought the thing! LMFAO!.
No nothing quite like that... yet... BTW - when we do, we always make things backwards compatible, take DSM2/DSMR as an example.

And we do need to do a better job of promoting accessories, like the optional steering drop down. The stock set up is good, but the optional drop down I feel brings an extra level of precision.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Well, I already made nikos2002 aware of the web issues I found, haha... Speaking of which, I have to say publicly that I’m pretty pleased with the level of support I’ve received from him in particular, and I’m not even a customer yet. Squared away some critical decisions I need to make with regard to buying the radio... It makes it all the easier to take that plunge. Thanks again, and if my experiences are great, I’ll be the first one to say so in here... I’m really looking forward to finding out if the hype is real!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Default DX6R wins another ROAR National Championship

Spektrum RC wants to congratulate Kaden Fuller for winning the ROAR 17.5 Stadium Truck National Championship!!! Kaden qualified 3rd and with cool, steady driving beyond his years clinched his first ROAR title. Check out the list of Spektrum items Kaden used on his winning TLR 22T 4.0. Congrats again to Kaden, and thanks to the Fuller family for supporting Spektrum products!!!

Spektrum items used:
SPM6410 - DX6R transmitter
SPM9060 - DX6R Upgrade Steering Dropdown
SPMSS6240 - 6240 High Torque/High Speed Servo
SPM9063 - 6240 Metal Top Case
SPMSR2100 - SR2100 Antenna less DSMR receiver.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nikos2002
No nothing quite like that... yet... BTW - when we do, we always make things backwards compatible, take DSM2/DSMR as an example.

And we do need to do a better job of promoting accessories, like the optional steering drop down. The stock set up is good, but the optional drop down I feel brings an extra level of precision.

Well, I guess I'll need to look into it then. Thanks man... really appreciate everything.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Can the wheel assembly unit be removed from the optional part like it can on the drop down included with the DX6R? Just asking, because I come from an age before drop down wheels on radios were a thing. Not sure if it would feel weird with the wheel hanging down so low, haha. As it is, removing it is likely the first thing I was considering doing to the radio after seeing the instruction video on how to convert it for left-hand use (it was mentioned that you can chose to mount the wheel without the drop down if you want). I'm guessing yes, because how else would you mount a wedge if you wanted?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Yes you can mount the wheel without the drop down. I saw it in the manual. I've was considering this until I started acting wheeling it. It's quite comfortable as is for me.
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Can the wheel assembly unit be removed from the optional part like it can on the drop down included with the DX6R? Just asking, because I come from an age before drop down wheels on radios were a thing. Not sure if it would feel weird with the wheel hanging down so low, haha. As it is, removing it is likely the first thing I was considering doing to the radio after seeing the instruction video on how to convert it for left-hand use (it was mentioned that you can chose to mount the wheel without the drop down if you want). I'm guessing yes, because how else would you mount a wedge if you wanted?
Yes, all the mounting holes line up, just don't use the drop down piece. If you want an idea of what it would look like -- check out the DX5C.
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

I went ahead and purchased the small DX5R wheel/cam set to see if I could use my Kimbrough wheel grip, and unfortunately, the wheel is WAY smaller than a standard Futaba wheel. Let’s just say that the entire wheel (without the foam) goes right through the hole on the grip. I mean, the wheel honestly feels OK with the provided foam grip (the thickness kind of makes comparable to Futaba wheels and their thin foam grips), but I was REALLY hoping to use that grip with this radio. Can anyone with the large wheel please measure the diameter of the large wheel without the foam. The Kimbrough grip’s inner diameter is about 40mm, but I don’t think it will stretch too much farther than that.

I suppose that if the large wheel is TOO big, I could look into getting a wheel 3D Printed on shapeways, or one of the other 3D printing service sites out there... Of course, if Soektrum were to release a “Medium” wheel for the DX5/6R that was comparable to a Futaba/Sanwa wheel, that would work too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.