New Spektrum Radio DX6R >

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Like Tree182Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Old 08-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
This radio has been out a while now. Any rumors or speculation as to whether it might be superceded anytime soon?
Considering it's ability to have the software updated, I kind of don't think so.

I'll be attempting to view a PDF on mine tonight, I haven't forgotten. Lol
Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer
Considering it's ability to have the software updated, I kind of don't think so.

I'll be attempting to view a PDF on mine tonight, I haven't forgotten. Lol
Haha, oh yeah, Thanks! Anyway, the thought had occurred to me, especially since it seems like Futaba is constantly releasing and retiring radios. Given how the previous models eventually got a “Pro” versión release, I wondered if this one is in line for one too... Maybe with an updated version of Android or other little bells and whistles to earn the “Pro” tag. 🙂.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Previously in this thread, it has been stated there are no plans on releasing a PRO model of the DX6. The DX5 PRO suits this role perfectly. I really think it might be some time before Spektrum up and replaces the 6R completely.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

I'm having an issue connecting the 6R to my home WiFi, I keep getting an authentication error. I can connect to the Xfinity broader network, but not my home network. Kind of odd. Am I missing something?

On a side note. A PDF can be viewed, I loaded a setup sheet. Took forever since I cannot get a good signal, and I had to load it directly from my Google Drive account. I'm sure it would be faster if I had it saved to the Micro SD card. There is a warning though, using the WiFi/Bluetooth sucks the battery life out of it if you didn't already know.

​​​​​​
rbrownsr likes this.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'm having an issue connecting the 6R to my home WiFi, I keep getting an authentication error. I can connect to the Xfinity broader network, but not my home network. Kind of odd. Am I missing something?

On a side note. A PDF can be viewed, I loaded a setup sheet. Took forever since I cannot get a good signal, and I had to load it directly from my Google Drive account. I'm sure it would be faster if I had it saved to the Micro SD card. There is a warning though, using the WiFi/Bluetooth sucks the battery life out of it if you didn't already know.

​​​​​​
While I use android with the 6R, I don't think I am an expert of android. There could be a setting that needs to be adjusted to cure the authentication error. That is the "fun" part about android.
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn

Haha, oh yeah, Thanks! Anyway, the thought had occurred to me, especially since it seems like Futaba is constantly releasing and retiring radios. Given how the previous models eventually got a “Pro” versión release, I wondered if this one is in line for one too... Maybe with an updated version of Android or other little bells and whistles to earn the “Pro” tag. 🙂.
TurnNBurn - curious to know what you think we might "update". Open to suggestions for future plans.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Where would I look in the radios system to see if there is something wrong? It connects to a hotspot just fine which is why I find it odd. lol.

What was the reason the Android OS was locked? Or is there a way to update it? I ask this because I get customers that come into my store asking if the OS can or cannot be updated, when I say no they, of course, ask why. lol
Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nikos2002
TurnNBurn - curious to know what you think we might "update". Open to suggestions for future plans.
Following on Knockoff’s comments, an update to Android might be desired, although I can understand the logistics of wanting to lock down the radio for the purpose of stability. As far as general features, An option to upgrade the battery to higher capacity, maybe (My understanding is that the battery is not replaceable). Anything that would also aid in power savings, not to mention the all important boot time. For example, my TV is Android powered - granted, it is a more limited, focused experience, but the radio could also be, in the sense that you might want to keep the functionality to a focused set of apps - primarily because the OS lockdown could wreak havoc on updated apps. I’m a Sr. QA Test Engineering Professional by trade who has mobile testing experience, so I understand the pitfalls either way, but much like how the TV is designed to be a much more focused experience, so too could the Transmitter. I only say this because as a prospective customer, it diesn’t sound too good when I hear stories about how a race Heat was delayed because one racer had to “reboot” his radio.

Let me get real - I’m coming back to the hobby after 20 years, and I’ve always been a die hard Futaba fan... However, coming back to the hobby, I am amazed at how much technology has progressed! I’m also open to trying new things. That being said, I REALLY want to like this radio; it really calls out to my techie side, but the same gripes about battery life (and the occasional glitch) concern me TBH. This radio is at a great price point, and was a clear push to design something with an “out of the box” mindset. If you can convince people at large that (in my case) a $1,000+ Nitro Touring Car will be safe in a 1 hour main, You’ll earn yourself some clout. Your DX5 series clearly seems to be a hit with the basher/crawler crowd - if you can win over the racers? You guys will be set!

EDIT: Added a little bit above to clarify my thoughts a bit... Also, I’d be remiss nikos2002, if I didn’t mention that I appreciate the fact that someone who appears to represent the brand takes time to monitor forums like this, and like in your case, took the time to request feedback.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

I've had the 6R for three weeks now, not one real gripe. The battery is replaceable, its not permanent. I managed right around 5 hours of constant running before the radio shut down on me. I know there is the charge cradle, unfortunately there isn't a place to plug it in where I run. I suppose I could plug it into the cars USB on the radio head... lol
Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

I've had the 6R for three weeks now, not one real gripe. The battery is replaceable, its not permanent. I managed right around 5 hours of constant running before the radio shut down on me. I know there is the charge cradle, unfortunately there isn't a place to plug it in where I run. I suppose I could plug it into the cars USB on the radio head... lol
Well, that’s nice to know - at least a higher capacity battery is a distinct possibility for the existing radio. So to clarify my previous answer given that, as far as “new” features, development could certainly keep an eye out for better resolution screens in the same form factor - they always improve screens while maintaining roughly the same cost as the previous generation. Newer, faster ARM based processors (I assuming it uses one, considering it runs Android) with lower power draw is always a plus, as it would add performance with less power draw. I would also consider a slightly newer approach to the design. For example, much like how the rear tapers from top to the top of the grip at the rear, so too could the front of the radio get that same treatment to not look so blocky. Not saying it looks necessarily bad, but just by looking at it (I only WISH I had a LHC close enough to handle one), appears a smidge on the too heavy side.

If you were to continue iterating on the same model, if a firmware upgrade could address the boot times and improve power consumption if possible, I’m sure cutlrrent customers would appreciate it. As an accessory, it would be great to see a drop down that is somewhere halfway from how low the existing one hangs - hey, the more options, the better!

And finally, can someone tell me if the small wheel is the same (or really close) to the standard size of Futaba wheels? Only reason I ask is that I have a Kimbrough wheel horn saved from my previous RC stint. I’d probably never be able to use a radio wheel if I can’t use that horn! 🙂
Old 08-29-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

I can answer you weight question.. the 6R is definitely NOT a heavy transmitter, lol. I came from a DX4c to the 6R, and the 4c felt cheap compared to this thing. I have a customer picking up a new 7PX at the shop tomorrow, so Ill bring the small wheel with me and compare the two, IF he shows up.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

​​​​​​
Oh, I didn’t see this earlier - I have to admit, that is freaking cool... But yeah, that kind of leads back to my battery concern, and whether the provided charger could keep up with abusive WiFi/Bluetooth use.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the comments, questions and more... a bunch to answer so I apologize if I seem to just hit some highlights.....

Battery life -- even today's most modern phones can get pulled down quite a bit pulling data (killed my phone many a time watching netfix at airport with delayed flights), its never an easy answer. So yes, if you go nuts on wife/Bluetooth it will take a toll on the battery. While its a great use - heck watched the last hour of the Daytona 500 one time on my 6R - it not the primary purpose. With the wifi/BT off, if you put your radio in sleep mode or even power it off between runs, you can get a day from it and more. Boost it on the cradle between runs if you can, I actually don't unless I really need to - it happens. Dakotah has run many long nitro mains with the 6R, sometimes back to back with a short break... so it can do it. Finally, my last trick -- I have used one of those cell phone power backs plugged into the 6R. Had a driver at a big race, realize he forgot to charge his 6R over 2 days and right before the A main realized it was on 2%. We plugged in the power back, put it in his pocket, he won the main and had from 30ish%(forgot the real #) on the 6R after the race.

Wheel - the small wheel has an overall diameter similar to futaba and sanwa, but the wheel/foam size is a little different, I think.
Boot time - it is a minute 30 odd seconds to boot up... in the grand scheme of things, its something you get used to. If you have my radio all the way off. I turn it on 2 minutes before the race before me ends, not 30 seconds. You get used to it. But 95% of race days, once I start my first practice for the day, the radio stays on, and put it in sleep mode between runs.

OS locked... the development process of the 6R happen before I came on board with Spektrum, while not a software engineer, my guess is that there was a concern that if everything was open.. it would be possible to update something, down load the wrong thing, basically kill the operating system in a way that we (a r/c radio seller) would not be able to fix. Easier to lock it to a state we know is working. Strictly my opinion.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Believe it or not, I forgot about sleep mode, I'm an idiot. Lol. Not sure how to put it to sleep. I'm also unsure of how to prevent a runaway in case of transmitter shut down.

The standard wheel on the 7PX is similar in size to the standard 6R wheel. Customer picked up his 7PX today, gorgeous transmitter. I still like the 6R more. Just really wish there was a lanyard point on it.

Thanks for the replies Nikos... Greatly appreciated. Love that a Spektrum insider comes here.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns about the radio knockoff, and like you said, It’s nice to see someone representing the company taking the time to answer questions about the product, so thank you for that, Nikos2002.

Well, as I mentioned above, I told myself to come back to the hobby with an open mind... I’ve got a hurricane to deal with first (yep, I’m in Florida - although it’s aiming for well North of me ATM), so I will be seriously considering the DX6R.... I mean, heck - if it gives me a hard time, I can always sell it for whatever I can get and just get myself the Futaba like I was originally planning. 😛

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.