Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New Spektrum Radio DX6R >

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Like Tree112Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Old 10-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Oh, and let me just say, whoever's idea it was to use hex screws on the radio, and not phillips screws:

THANK YOU!!!

The use of phillips screws for things like tension adjustments has been one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to radios, and having one that uses regular metric hex screws instead, is a very welcome change.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wkderf View Post
From what I read on this thread, I wouldn't have blamed you. I too was looking to jump ship on Spektrum after seeing the early problems with this radio. It was only by chance that I actually purchased a DX6R used, from someone who was in over his head with the updates and what he called the "complexity" of the radio, even though its easier to use than my DX4R. Having given the radio a fair shake, there are lots of things I LOVE about it, and just sold my 4R to use this radio going forward. Since we seem to be concentrating on the negative, let me point out some of the positives:

Ergonomics: This is hands down the MOST adjustable radio I have ever come across. The radio literally has hundreds of possible combinations in regards to mounting holes used, spacers, and wheel sizes. It may take a little bit to get it where you want it - but once you do - it will feel PERFECT for your driving stance. Even the adjustable trigger angle is something i didn't think I needed, but absolutely love.

Touch Screen: app bugs aside, being able to swipe your finger across the screen, or type in a numeric value when setting trims is VERY convenient. The scroll wheel on the DX4R is nice, but having an actual keyboard when you need it is nicer. Just think about programming in the name of your model with the DX4R... on the 6R, it takes a matter of seconds. And while we are on the subject of model names - being able to load your own photos of your actual car, and change the screen colors for each car is also pretty great. Running multiple touring cars, its nice to see at a glance of the top corner if I have the right model selected. Even more, since its easy to do, the pictures can be changed at a moments notice, and kept current with the bodies you are running.

Charging: Yes, there were issues with the cradle, and they are being worked out. but having a drop-in cradle for charging is one of the biggest draws to this radio for me after the improved ergonomics. How many times have u been on the drivers stand, and some guys Futaba starts that annoying constant beeping, because his transmitter is about to die? or watched a Futaba driver feverishly try to swap lipos in his radio before a heat or main, because the ones in the radio were dead. With the 6R - all you have to do is pop it in the cradle when you're in the pits, and you should NEVER be without a solid amount of battery life. Futaba guys I show my 6R to in the pits are MOST excited about this feature.

Future: This one takes a bit of faith, but because of the nature of the android OS and app system, there are lots of future possibilities for this radio, some of which are already available. With bluetooth connectivity, soon ESCs will have BT built in, eliminating the need for a programming box. you'll instead be able to use your radio to program or adjust your ESC. Take that a step further, how about telemetry direct from your ESC to your radio? it will be possible. How about your radio being linked in to the tracks timing system, and instead of calling the times out, you can listen on a BT headset, or even better, have your transmitter vibrate when you set your best lap? Full datalogging of your throttle & steering inputs broken down by lap? The ideas go on and on - and thats the whole point. The radio opens up a world of possibilities.

If you don't mind the growing pains, there is a great radio underneath them, that will be able to do some great things in the future.

I for one dont regret purchasing mine, and feel confident enough about it to sell my 4R. If you are still hesitant, give it a bit more time, or til the next app update, but the version thats out now seems to be fairly solid in terms of radio operation, and things like transmit always on & screen sleep which i consider to be secondary, will be fixed in due time.
Hmmmm.....that's definitely food for thought
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

I ran the radio for the first time today.
Fully charged it before i went to the track. I was trying to some different stuff on the radio and didnt charge it through out the day.
I probably had 10 packs with around 8 minutes sessions and was at the track for 5 hours. I put it to sleep every time i was done racing. Battery still had 77% left when i went home.
Didnt have any issues with the radio or any features while using the radio.
Radio feels great on the track and in your hands!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Attn SPEKTRUM:

Something else that I discovered today regarding the SR6000T receiver thats included with the DX6R.

In the manual for this receiver, it lists the voltage sensor cable to be used (SPMA9570) however this cable is NOT compatible with the SR6000T or the SR4000T.

The SPMA9570 cable has a 3 pin connector, whereas the receivers only accept a 2 pin connector for voltage.

I can find no 2 pin telemetry cables available from spektrum. Even the temperature sensor, which is a 2 wire hookup, uses a 3 pin connector.

and while I'm on the subject of temperature cables, the manual recommends using the aircraft temperature cable SPMA9571 which does work, however the cable is nearly a foot and a half long, which is pretty excessive for use on a 10th scale car. Even an 8th scale car would still have a great amount of excess cable when using this sensor. Can we hope for a shorter temp cable to be available in the future? and a voltage connector with the proper 2 pin connector?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Probably better off calling HH directly about that.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Just did. Apparently, there is a "new" 2 pin voltage telemetry cable on the way, though they weren't able to provide a part number or an ETA.

no word on a shorter temp cable either.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

After getting a chance to use this radio for a solid week now swapping between everything and playing with it I must say I am very very happy with it. I will be using this radio now for all of my cars and trucks. My only gripe is the radio did not include the telemetry adapters. Only the receiver capable of it. I was more the. Disappointed when I discovered this as they lead you to believe it would be ready out of the box. Now my other issue is I can't seem to find the rpm or temp gauge item i now need to buy separately as the plug is white and I'm. It sure if it takes a standard servo plug or if they are different now. From say the typical futaba style telemetry plugs. Other then that. I am happy. The cradle I sorted out by pinching the cradles contact points to an elevated point and it won't lose contact even if the radio rocks slightly on my bench. Another thing I ran into that should be noted is when I adjusted my wheel to my preference I snugged the screws and it was enough to hold the button stuck when clicking it. So be cautious when tightening the wheel screws as to allow the wheel switched to not get pinched by the plastic and cause them to not self center.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Something that may help the other radio users out there.

I like several others have had the problem with the radio losing contact in the charging cradle. Aside from the foam solution inside the cradle, I also found that if I made the cradle more solid, it cut down on the loss of contact.

I did this by unscrewing the base of the cradle (4 2.0mm hex screws) and added an entire pack of lead weights (160g) to the base. I arranged them in such a position as to not interfere with any of the wiring inside the cradle, and screwed the base back to the rest of the cradle. I also added 2 long strips of foam, to run between the "feet" of the cradle on the bottom. This helps "grip" the surface the cradle is on better, and avoids it sliding around when I'm trying to place the radio on it.

Ive been satisfied with the results, and once the newly designed cradle arrives, adding in these minor tweaks should make it perfect.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The new cradle you should not need to modify at all as it works great.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

ill see once I actually get mine. I was told by horizon tech support that its not yet in stock, despite seeing them on they thread, so not sure what to make of that.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

I purchased my DX6R yesterday and have a problem when registry my radio. I got my radio serial number from the dashboard and typed the serial number for registration for serval times and it showed as follow : WE HAD SOME PROBLEMS PROCESSING YOUR REGISTRATION:

The product model selected does not match the serial number entered.
You entered an invalid serial number. Please verify that you are entering the correct character(s). See the image to the right for character identification.
Please enter a valid Purchase Date.

I did check the serial number for times and sure it was correct. What should I do with this case? Sent an email to Spektrum but has no answer yet :-(

Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sunnymok View Post
Hi Guys,

I purchased my DX6R yesterday and have a problem when registry my radio. I got my radio serial number from the dashboard and typed the serial number for registration for serval times and it showed as follow : WE HAD SOME PROBLEMS PROCESSING YOUR REGISTRATION:

The product model selected does not match the serial number entered.
You entered an invalid serial number. Please verify that you are entering the correct character(s). See the image to the right for character identification.
Please enter a valid Purchase Date.

I did check the serial number for times and sure it was correct. What should I do with this case? Sent an email to Spektrum but has no answer yet :-(

Thanks
Most likely this is a case of misidentifying 1's and I's. Try swapping around any that are in your serial number. Mine had a few and took me 4 tries to get the sequence correct.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hmm. Says valid purchase date. Make sure your format matches what the website is looking for. I see it as MM/DD/YYYY. Might be different depending on country.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Pics of Trigger

Can someone post up some pics of the trigger.
I would like to know if the brake portion of the trigger is adjustable like say on the KO radios. Is it a 3D trigger? I'm not grasping the side-to-side adjustment that is mentioned.
Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Trigger itself (brake side) is not adjustable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service