Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New Spektrum Radio DX6R >

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Like Tree103Likes

New Spektrum Radio DX6R

Old 02-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I just bought my radio yesterday from tower. I am having problems with charging. It will only go to 95%. Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Without going through 1k in posts. My son has a Dx6r bought last summer and is having battery problems. He is saying that it doesn’t last very long. Half hour. Is this a common problem? Should I replace the stock batt or is there an aftermarket batt available(if so I can’t find a model number). He’s worried about longer nitro mains. Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
Without going through 1k in posts. My son has a Dx6r bought last summer and is having battery problems. He is saying that it doesnít last very long. Half hour. Is this a common problem? Should I replace the stock batt or is there an aftermarket batt available(if so I canít find a model number). Heís worried about longer nitro mains. Thanks in advance
I've had mine from the very 1st batch and still have great battery life. He may have too much stuff running in android in the background to drain the battery so fast?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by suzukipro View Post
I've had mine from the very 1st batch and still have great battery life. He may have too much stuff running in android in the background to drain the battery so fast?
That would be my first thought as well.
Turn off wifi and bluetooth as well when not needed.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. We will try turning wifi off and see if he gets more time. How much on average is everyone getting for run time from full charge?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
Thanks. We will try turning wifi off and see if he gets more time. How much on average is everyone getting for run time from full charge?
I set mine in the charging cradle during race days, but I"m sure I could get hours of constant use out of it if needed.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Last weekend attend the Spektrum ChiTown event. Charged up the 6R overnight in my motel room. Got to the track at about 8am, ran 2 cars in the open practice so lets say I turned my radio on about 8:30am. Ran 3 classes, 2 rounds of qualifying per class. When I was not racing I had the radio on, placed in sleep mode. My last run was about 10:15pm. So almost 14 hours at the track - radio was at 40%.

Side note... using the new Spektrum S2100 charger, you can plug the USB cord into the side of the charger and charger your 6R, or your cell phone.

Funny note - TLR/Spektrum driver Mason Fuller has been using the 6R for quite a while now. He forgot to charge his radio it was down to 2%, he noticed right before he was due to go out on track. We plugged in my external cellphone battery, he put the battery in his pocket. Went and ran his race (think he got a 4 or 5 for the round), and the radio was at 10% when he came down off the stand.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New DX6R?

I'm new to the hobby and I recently purchased Spektrums ix12 for flying and I really like the controller as I learn how to program models. So naturally I'm very interested in the DX6R and after researching the radio, I was surprised at a few things, the flimsy USB cover, the interchangeable grips are held on by tape (I mean really?) and few updates/improvements over time. I read here that Spektrum made a running change to fix the charging base, why would they not update the controllers USB cover that everyone seems to complain about.

I want to purchase this radio but I have to think that a new version has to be announced soon? The radio is three years old and the other manufactures have recently released color touch screen radios. Anything in the rumor mill regarding a replacement for the DX6R? Is there a routine time of year that products are announced/released or is it random?

On another note, I'm surprised the higher priced cars/trucks come with radios, whereas planes are mostly Bind and Fly, so buying the DX6R will require the purchase of a Spektrum receiver for any Traxxas car/truck I want and I will get a radio with the Traxxas that I won't use. I have read posts from years ago where people were hoping for cars/trucks to change to the Bind and Drive option, looks like that idea did not catch on.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
I want to purchase this radio but I have to think that a new version has to be announced soon? The radio is three years old and the other manufactures have recently released color touch screen radios. Anything in the rumor mill regarding a replacement for the DX6R? Is there a routine time of year that products are announced/released or is it random?
The newest radio is the DX5 Pro:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM5010

If you don't need the Android capabilities of the DX6R, then the DX5 Pro would be the better choice.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

If you don't need the Android capabilities of the DX6R, then the DX5 Pro would be the better choice.
​​​​​​I don't need the android capabilities per say, I am most interested in a color touch screen and user interface of the Raceware app on the DX6R. I would be completely happy if the DX6R only had the Raceware app but I don't like the greyscale screen.

I can see manufactures having one or two low cost options with a greyscale screen but considering where we are with technology, I would think there would be color touch screens in several models of a manufactures lineup. I think the DX5 Pro should have a color screen. The technology is not that expensive, Li-ion battery technology can supply a full days use or a spare battery to easy swap in/out is not that big a deal.

I would hate to buy the radio and have a new one come out soon. I think three years for the DX6R is a long time and Spektrum certainly has a redesign of it, if it wasn't three years old, I wouldn't be so hesitant.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post

Thanks for the reply!

​​​​​​I don't need the android capabilities per say, I am most interested in a color touch screen and user interface of the Raceware app on the DX6R. I would be completely happy if the DX6R only had the Raceware app but I don't like the greyscale screen.

I can see manufactures having one or two low cost options with a greyscale screen but considering where we are with technology, I would think there would be color touch screens in several models of a manufactures lineup. I think the DX5 Pro should have a color screen. The technology is not that expensive, Li-ion battery technology can supply a full days use or a spare battery to easy swap in/out is not that big a deal.

I would just hate to buy the radio and have a new one come out soon. I think three years for the DX6R is a long time and Spektrum certainly has a redesign of it, if it wasn't three years old, I wouldn't be so hesitant.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How do you update the radio or know if it’s up to date. I just bought it off someone and every time I go to the update screen in setting it’s says it cannot be updated