Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Maclan Racing Products Discussion >

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Like Tree160Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
It's like I'm always invisible in this thread. No one ever responds.

I fixed my own problem and if the Maclan reps want to find out what happened exactly they can reach out.
You are not invisible. If you would like I have previously given my email to which I respond daily. An open forum is very hard to monitor the entirety of.

Here is the email:
ian.maize(at)hobbyauthority-dist(dot)com
Old 02-25-2018, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, did something a bit dumb today. I accidently connected the the battery around the wrong way which caused a lot smoke and maybe a little flame from the capacitors of my Pico ESC. I'm hoping only caps have died. I'm going to order a new capacitor module but the only supplier here in Australia has the 3 capacitor module that's on the MMax Pro. Will this work with the Pico?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stuffandthat
Hey guys, did something a bit dumb today. I accidently connected the the battery around the wrong way which caused a lot smoke and maybe a little flame from the capacitors of my Pico ESC. I'm hoping only caps have died. I'm going to order a new capacitor module but the only supplier here in Australia has the 3 capacitor module that's on the MMax Pro. Will this work with the Pico?
Reverse polarity almost always damages the internal components. I would recommend sending the unit in for repair.

On a side note, the 3 capacitor bank will work, it is just not necessary.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Baja-Boy
You are not invisible. If you would like I have previously given my email to which I respond daily. An open forum is very hard to monitor the entirety of.

Here is the email:
ian.maize(at)hobbyauthority-dist(dot)com
Can you post what solution he came up with?

Another question, I plan to run a 5.5 turn Maclan V1 motor in 1/10 4wd buggy with the MMAX Pro ESC. I would like to use the fan on the ESC as well as a fan for the motor.

I plan to direct wire the fan going to the motor to the battery posts on the maclan ESC to give it direct power (maclan 30mm Fan), and then just run the ESC fan off the ESC port.

Are there any concerns about browning out the BEC (set at 7.4V) with this setup? I know I saw some oddities when running the fan on the receiver for the motor and the ESC fan, so just trying to confirm best wiring setup.

Lastly, what is stock timing ot use for this motor and any ESC setting tips?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Reverse polarity almost always damages the internal components. I would recommend sending the unit in for repair.
Is it worth sending in for repair? Or better off just buying a new one?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Totally worth sending it for repair. it will return as good as new.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
Can you post what solution he came up with?

Another question, I plan to run a 5.5 turn Maclan V1 motor in 1/10 4wd buggy with the MMAX Pro ESC. I would like to use the fan on the ESC as well as a fan for the motor.

I plan to direct wire the fan going to the motor to the battery posts on the maclan ESC to give it direct power (maclan 30mm Fan), and then just run the ESC fan off the ESC port.

Are there any concerns about browning out the BEC (set at 7.4V) with this setup? I know I saw some oddities when running the fan on the receiver for the motor and the ESC fan, so just trying to confirm best wiring setup.

Lastly, what is stock timing ot use for this motor and any ESC setting tips?
I don't know what he did to fix it, he hasn't said. 95% of the time the prolink looping back means it needs a firmware reflash on the esc.

You should not have any issues with that setup
Old 02-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Tech Legend

I don't know what he did to fix it, he hasn't said. 95% of the time the prolink looping back means it needs a firmware reflash on the esc.

You should not have any issues with that setup
Sounds good. Right now timing looks to be 30 degrees, should there be any issue with motor fan coming off the receiver and a fan on the ESC?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trigger
Totally worth sending it for repair. it will return as good as new.
Will test it tonight and go from there!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Got some interesting results! I cut the capacitor module off, plugged in a battery and turned the ESC on. It boots up as normal, the steering works, the lights show throttle and brake movement, but the motor doesn't turn. Will the motor turn without capacitors installed, or is the ESC stuffed?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The mosfet board is toast.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trigger
The mosfet board is toast.
I did a good job!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
Sounds good. Right now timing looks to be 30 degrees, should there be any issue with motor fan coming off the receiver and a fan on the ESC?
You should not have any issue with the fans.

As far as timing on motor 30-35 should be good,

Esc settings a higher throttle frequency will help smooth out that much motor, for brakes you will want to run a low frequency.

May want to limit punch as well depending how it feels.

-Ian
Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Tech Legend

You should not have any issue with the fans.

As far as timing on motor 30-35 should be good,

Esc settings a higher throttle frequency will help smooth out that much motor, for brakes you will want to run a low frequency.

May want to limit punch as well depending how it feels.

-Ian
Thanks. I'll have to give the speedo a look again as last go around I thought I had an issue running 2 fans (ESC cooling fan, Fan plugged into receiver) but maybe it was something else. I may try that first.

One thing i would like to see maclan come out with is a fan similar to the yeah racing aluminum fan, heard these are significantly more durable.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

I have a Tekno Shortcourse 410.3, with a 4000k Hobbywing. I know, it came with it. It is OK on speed. In the past, I had a 4300k Tekin, and it was crazy fast on our indoor clay track. I've not heard of anyone in this class run a 3500kv. Would this Maclan be fast enough, or go with the bigger Maclan 4100kv? These Shortcourse trucks are heavy. But the 3500kv says it is for these?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.