Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree160Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Baja-Boy
In my experience, I went up a gear from my usual team edition.
Okay cool then I can try out my smaller spur gear without changing my pinion. I've had a lot of runtime with my current TE 17.5 so this should be a nice comparison for the layperson

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Okay so I installed the pico as can be seen here:

I am curious to see how much pop she has as I left the 2 bank capacitor it comes stock with versus the 4 bank I was using with the hobbywing.

Some things I noticed:

- No fan
- It says on the case a product of the USA, are these made here?
- The case has a very robust feel to it nice, touch
- The manual could be a little larger on the text side of things. Some were like rediculously small.
- The ESC offers both sensored / sensorless mode and full sensored mode. nice!
- You can step the voltage for the BEC it appears, not just 6V or 7.4V, but steps between.

Some things that would be nice:

- The power switch wire isn't flush to the switch. so you can't run it standing up "flat". as I like using the switch, it would be a nice later revision if one ha that feature.
- As everything is "plug in, the capacitor would have been nice if it was too
- Reverse "stock" setting is really powerful. when they say 50% its like 50% of full forward throttle. HW's was like half of half lol. so keep that in mind.

An odd thing:

So after setting everything up I put it in practice mode to allow reverse. I in general leave my vehicles in that mode so its easy to do some hot laps an then race and not use it. It appears however the reverse delay has an odd way of determining when to engage, it didn't feel consistent on the bench, it may be different on the track though.

Something to watch that may need a firmware update if its prevalent for others:

When turning the vehicle off with the switch, it would give a throttle burst. I tried this on 2 different profiles and both did the samething. It mainly happens after you have throttle inputs from the radio (like driving) and you go to shut the car off with the switch.

It doesn't do this with the switch removed for obvious reasons (no power connected).

I would recommend NOT Using the switch if you have this issue as it could causing your vehicle to take off on you briefly, knocking something over.

Ebbtide, does yours do this?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
Okay so I installed the pico as can be seen here:

I am curious to see how much pop she has as I left the 2 bank capacitor it comes stock with versus the 4 bank I was using with the hobbywing.

Some things I noticed:

- No fan
- It says on the case a product of the USA, are these made here?
- The case has a very robust feel to it nice, touch
- The manual could be a little larger on the text side of things. Some were like rediculously small.
- The ESC offers both sensored / sensorless mode and full sensored mode. nice!
- You can step the voltage for the BEC it appears, not just 6V or 7.4V, but steps between.

Some things that would be nice:

- The power switch wire isn't flush to the switch. so you can't run it standing up "flat". as I like using the switch, it would be a nice later revision if one ha that feature.
- As everything is "plug in, the capacitor would have been nice if it was too
- Reverse "stock" setting is really powerful. when they say 50% its like 50% of full forward throttle. HW's was like half of half lol. so keep that in mind.

An odd thing:

So after setting everything up I put it in practice mode to allow reverse. I in general leave my vehicles in that mode so its easy to do some hot laps an then race and not use it. It appears however the reverse delay has an odd way of determining when to engage, it didn't feel consistent on the bench, it may be different on the track though.

Something to watch that may need a firmware update if its prevalent for others:

When turning the vehicle off with the switch, it would give a throttle burst. I tried this on 2 different profiles and both did the samething. It mainly happens after you have throttle inputs from the radio (like driving) and you go to shut the car off with the switch.

It doesn't do this with the switch removed for obvious reasons (no power connected).

I would recommend NOT Using the switch if you have this issue as it could causing your vehicle to take off on you briefly, knocking something over.

Ebbtide, does yours do this?
That is all some odd issues there man lol. I wasnt going to wire up my Pico until I get the eb410 so it might be a bit until I see what mine does. It does seem like something a firmware update would resolve.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Was looking for a base line setting for 13.5T boosted on-road. Would have liked to see if there's a conservative baseline rather than having to explore and find out all the settings myself first.
Answered my own question. I bought a Maclan ESC and found that there are baseline 13.5T boosted settings in the manual already. Little disappointed no one pointed me there at all.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Baja-Boy
Still well on its way, want to make sure it's perfect.
Any timeline? example any day now or something like xmas or spring
Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by EbbTide
That is all some odd issues there man lol. I wasnt going to wire up my Pico until I get the eb410 so it might be a bit until I see what mine does. It does seem like something a firmware update would resolve.
yeah there really is only one issue that stands out the most to me is the power switch thing. If I have time today or tomorrow I am going to wire up the MMax Pro I have here for my 4wd buggy and see if it does that as well, and then get my daughters vehicles equipped. Just got to be a late day yesterday so didn't do mine all of mine with Maclan stuff.

Originally Posted by boborc
Any timeline? example any day now or something like xmas or spring
Be curious too. It sounds like its supposed to be both a 4x4 SCT and 1/8 esc as well if I recall correctly, something along the same concept as the XR8 SCT Pro which I currently use and is a great ESC. I am hopeful if that is the case, the price reflects that as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

yeah there really is only one issue that stands out the most to me is the power switch thing. If I have time today or tomorrow I am going to wire up the MMax Pro I have here for my 4wd buggy and see if it does that as well, and then get my daughters vehicles equipped. Just got to be a late day yesterday so didn't do mine all of mine with Maclan stuff.

Be curious too. It sounds like its supposed to be both a 4x4 SCT and 1/8 esc as well if I recall correctly, something along the same concept as the XR8 SCT Pro which I currently use and is a great ESC. I am hopeful if that is the case, the price reflects that as well.
It's kinda making me want to just throw the Pico in my 2wd buggy to just avoid potential problems with the eb410 since I'd like that build to be as smooth as possible lol. And I know both of my Mmax Pros are problem free. Decisions decisions!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Answered my own question. I bought a Maclan ESC and found that there are baseline 13.5T boosted settings in the manual already. Little disappointed no one pointed me there at all.
Sorry I did not know of a good starting point off the top of my head. I forgot that one of the profiles was 13.5 boosted. That is not particularly a huge class here in the states (at least that I am aware of) so I do not frequently talk about it. I am glad that you found an answer, and I hope you enjoy the ESC
Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by EbbTide
It's kinda making me want to just throw the Pico in my 2wd buggy to just avoid potential problems with the eb410 since I'd like that build to be as smooth as possible lol. And I know both of my Mmax Pros are problem free. Decisions decisions!
yeah give it a check. I am going to try something that support mention to confirm.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

I have a te 17.5 in my v3fm, it's a fairly small with some fast sweepers but also 180 tight turns mixed in on high bite carpet, should I leave timing as is or adjust it? Thoughts
Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zx12r785
I have a te 17.5 in my v3fm, it's a fairly small with some fast sweepers but also 180 tight turns mixed in on high bite carpet, should I leave timing as is or adjust it? Thoughts
50-51° on a V1 is a good starting point for smaller tracks. What motor do you you have?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Couple notes on the conversations:
-Pico was heavily tested in a 4wd with a 13.5, should be no issues there. We tested OK without the fan, but I would recommend it, especially if you don't cut vents in your body (I don't if I can avoid it).
-I don't have a switch in front of me, will have to look at home. Honestly, I have tested them to make sure they work, but I don't ever use one since we developed the MMax - plug and play!! I believe (off the top of my head), they are the same switch MMax and Pico
-Manual should note that there are multiple set up profiles available, unless they changed the manual since I set it up.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Legend

what radio are you using Ebbtide? I use the Futaba 3PV and the R204GF-E receivers. Support mentioned to try a failsafe setting if one is available. Due to weather buggy won't run this week So I'll try and test it out and confirm.

Worse case I can remove the switch connection however I like the switch as far as when you need to shut off a vehicle that is out of action at the race versus pulling the wires direct. But if that's how it needs to be till sorted thats fine.

I should be able to check today though.

nikos2002: For that up coming esc that has will work for 1/8, will that cover 1/8 truggy and what kind of dimenisions are we looking at? If you can't answer that yet, can you confirm if the ESC is being tested in the Tekin ET48 line of vehicles with a truggy sized motor? This is the main area where I have seen fitment issues due to how close the motors get to the ESC and can interfere with the sensor wire placement (esc could bump the wire)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

what radio are you using Ebbtide? I use the Futaba 3PV and the R204GF-E receivers. Support mentioned to try a failsafe setting if one is available. Due to weather buggy won't run this week So I'll try and test it out and confirm.

Worse case I can remove the switch connection however I like the switch as far as when you need to shut off a vehicle that is out of action at the race versus pulling the wires direct. But if that's how it needs to be till sorted thats fine.

I should be able to check today though.

nikos2002: For that up coming esc that has will work for 1/8, will that cover 1/8 truggy and what kind of dimenisions are we looking at? If you can't answer that yet, can you confirm if the ESC is being tested in the Tekin ET48 line of vehicles with a truggy sized motor? This is the main area where I have seen fitment issues due to how close the motors get to the ESC and can interfere with the sensor wire placement (esc could bump the wire)
With my Maclan electronics I've only run my Sanwa Mt-44 with their RX481 and RX482 receivers. My failsafes operate as usual so hopefully that means my Pico will avoid the power-off issue because I do not particularly like doing direct power. Idk when I'll have a chance to wire up my Pico but hopefully within the next week I'll see what's going on with mine.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nikos2002
Couple notes on the conversations:
-Pico was heavily tested in a 4wd with a 13.5, should be no issues there. We tested OK without the fan, but I would recommend it, especially if you don't cut vents in your body (I don't if I can avoid it).
-I don't have a switch in front of me, will have to look at home. Honestly, I have tested them to make sure they work, but I don't ever use one since we developed the MMax - plug and play!! I believe (off the top of my head), they are the same switch MMax and Pico
-Manual should note that there are multiple set up profiles available, unless they changed the manual since I set it up.
thanks for the tip on running 13.5 Nico I've got two spare fans from my Mmax pros so I may just throw one of those on the Pico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.