Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Maclan Racing Products Discussion >

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Like Tree132Likes

Maclan Racing Products Discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Maclan Racing Products Discussion
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Cain
Updates here

Print Wikipost

Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had some issues with my PICO but the brakes have not been one of them. I run my pico in my ST and it does a good job. I really wish the footprint was smaller like the Hobbywing XR10 PRO Stock Spec.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Question on the Maclan MMAX Pro 160A ESC. Just had my first race day with my new ET410 outfitted with a New Maclan 160A ESC and New Maclan 5.5T v2 motor. After around 2min 30sec +/- into each heat the truck would go into some sort of limp mode at 1/4 power or so.

I checked the ESC settings and all looked ok to me. Cutoff at 3.2V, no extra timing added, temp cut off at 220F etc. My temps right off the track were 150's on the motor and high 140's on the ESC. So I thought maybe my battery pack was getting old. Checked it and it still had 50% remaining on a friends battery checker. So I swapped the battery out with the one in my 4wd buggy. Same issue right about the same time into the heat. So I tried yet another battery pack and added a Maclan 30mm fan just for kicks. Same issue, but the temps came down on both the motor and ESC to the low 130's It had a 2 beep series of tones as well. Then after it sat for a couple of minutes on the bench or if you immediately power cycled the ESC all was good again, but only for a really short period of time?

I ran the Maclan 160A ESC's in both my 2wd and 4wd buggies on carpet this winter with no issues.

I think the ESC is flaky and through it into low voltage or high temp cutoff mode when neither are the case.

Any thoughts from anyone.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guitars911 View Post
Question on the Maclan MMAX Pro 160A ESC. Just had my first race day with my new ET410 outfitted with a New Maclan 160A ESC and New Maclan 5.5T v2 motor. After around 2min 30sec +/- into each heat the truck would go into some sort of limp mode at 1/4 power or so.

I checked the ESC settings and all looked ok to me. Cutoff at 3.2V, no extra timing added, temp cut off at 220F etc. My temps right off the track were 150's on the motor and high 140's on the ESC. So I thought maybe my battery pack was getting old. Checked it and it still had 50% remaining on a friends battery checker. So I swapped the battery out with the one in my 4wd buggy. Same issue right about the same time into the heat. So I tried yet another battery pack and added a Maclan 30mm fan just for kicks. Same issue, but the temps came down on both the motor and ESC to the low 130's It had a 2 beep series of tones as well. Then after it sat for a couple of minutes on the bench or if you immediately power cycled the ESC all was good again, but only for a really short period of time?

I ran the Maclan 160A ESC's in both my 2wd and 4wd buggies on carpet this winter with no issues.

I think the ESC is flaky and through it into low voltage or high temp cutoff mode when neither are the case.

Any thoughts from anyone.
Turn your LVC protection off and time your runs to no more than 10 minutes. See if the problem goes away. I turn of all my protection and don't have any issues
Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Turn your LVC protection off and time your runs to no more than 10 minutes. See if the problem goes away. I turn of all my protection and don't have any issues
Plus one.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by H2on0 View Post
Plus one.
Hmm, I will give that setting a try and see what happens. Thanks
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all, I've just started racing mod Stadium Truck and it's the first time I've driven anything mod. I'm running the V2 8.5t motor. Where should I set the timing? And should I run any boost on my Mmax Pro?
Old 05-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Odd, I had to turn off all three to get it to run correctly. LVC = disabled, esc temp = disabled, motor temp = disabled after that = All Good. Set a timer for 8 mins and it ran fine. Stopped there as that's the length of our mains. Temps still right at 130F.

Thanks for the help all! Hopefully it makes it the entire outdoor season then I will send it in over the winter.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

if I recall correctly,Maclans cutoff on voltage is not as lenient as other manufacturer escs. So if this is true, if your batteries under load drop voltage too much and trip cutoff, it may actually cutout. that said, I would try a lower voltage setting for cutoff like 6V and see how it goes.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Cain makes a good point. The LVC protocol used will start to limit power as voltage dips towards cut off. If the battery has big drops on voltage spike (they all do, some worse than others) it can "trick" the system into cut off or start to cut power. It will protect the system so the battery can not go below what ever is programmed. Other brands can dip below LVC for a split second before the cut off activates.
Cain likes this.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
Cain makes a good point. The LVC protocol used will start to limit power as voltage dips towards cut off. If the battery has big drops on voltage spike (they all do, some worse than others) it can "trick" the system into cut off or start to cut power. It will protect the system so the battery can not go below what ever is programmed. Other brands can dip below LVC for a split second before the cut off activates.
Yeah it was something initially I didn't appreciate but later on I came to understand that if my battery is dropping enough under load to trip a reasonable cutoff level, it may be better overall for the battery to have this protection as who knows over time maybe that causes issues for the pack.

in general I ended up just going with 6.0V from what I recall.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Due to the ban on R1 v21 motors I'm switching back to my Maclan V2 17.5t. just ordered the #4144 higher torque rotor as my standard one had gone a little soft after a year of abuse. Anyone got any setup tips for them for 1/10 touring car asphalt?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Just fitted the high torque rotor, not massively impressed by the early signs. Free revs at 40 degrees timing with the old rotor was 22152rpm Vs 22297rpm for the PUHT rotor. This would suggest it's actually a weaker rotor? (Bear in mind the old rotor has had a year of heavy use) It's certainly not as strong as my R1 v21 standard rotor.
Hopefully it will be a different story on track!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering View Post
Just fitted the high torque rotor, not massively impressed by the early signs. Free revs at 40 degrees timing with the old rotor was 22152rpm Vs 22297rpm for the PUHT rotor. This would suggest it's actually a weaker rotor? (Bear in mind the old rotor has had a year of heavy use) It's certainly not as strong as my R1 v21 standard rotor.
Hopefully it will be a different story on track!
I usually gear up 1-2 teeth with using the UHT rotor. That will wake up the motor. Timing at 48ish is good too!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Tech Regular

I usually gear up 1-2 teeth with using the UHT rotor. That will wake up the motor. Timing at 48ish is good too!
This past weekend at Eastbourne (tight twisty asphalt track) I was geared at 3.97:1 with 49 timing. It probably wasn't the fastest car on track but it was certainly keeping up with the new-gen motors.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

How does the MRR Team Edition V2 compare to other 17.5 or 21.5 motors, like the R1 or Schurspeed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service