Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
The Homebuilt Dynamometer (Dyno)Thread!!! >

The Homebuilt Dynamometer (Dyno)Thread!!!

Like Tree12Likes

The Homebuilt Dynamometer (Dyno)Thread!!!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all

I made some improvements, now measuring current, voltage and efficiency.
Some problem of noise remains.

Attached images: new display view and measure setup.
Attached Thumbnails The Homebuilt Dynamometer (Dyno)Thread!!!-display.jpg   The Homebuilt Dynamometer (Dyno)Thread!!!-setup.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by augu
Hi all

I made some improvements, now measuring current, voltage and efficiency.
Some problem of noise remains.

Attached images: new display view and measure setup.
That's beautiful!

How many data points or what sampling rate are you using?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Graph has about twelve points, equispaced in rpm. Sampling is interrupt driven.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Tech Rookie

... about twenty points, pardon. The limit is the memory.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello guys,

tryin to get get back into rc racing after 6 years. I have now got most of the stuff to get back racing but a lot has moved on since I was last racing. I have build a homemade dyno cause I'm tight and do not want to burn my way through some motors while I work out boost and turbo settings.

My dyno is a pully system more for safety so the flywheel is balanced better and doesn't come off if not secured correctly. I will try to post a picture when I have enough post to upload. I know I think adds in some error but for my needs it should be sufficient.

i have watched some videos from nick Adams using dyno data for setting boost settings and have a question around the flywheel set up and differences which I'm hoping you can advise on. The inertia of my fly wheel is 0.000419 kgm2s2 and when I run tests on several motors my peak power for 30deg timing is about 7.2k rpm for a 13.5t motor. When I watched nick Adams video for a 13.5t fantom motor his peak power was at 10.5k rpm at the same timing. I know the dyno systems are different but does the inertia of the flywheel influence the rpm of the peak power?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Inertia will only affect the spin up time of the flywheel. Couple things it could be, correcting RPM for your pulley ratio or the voltage you are testing at. Image below is a 13.5T motor tested with 2S batt, direct drive flywheel (inertia is 63 gm-mm2). Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks bob. The pulley ratio is 2:1 so the speed of the flywheel is not as intense. I was wondering about the ratio on my detection system which is eagle tree with magnetic sensor. I have compared the rpm values with the brushless sensor connected directly to the motor to ensure I am representing the true rpm of the motor. The low rpm was shocking for the magnetic system with the eagle tree even though the Amps and volts were changing the rpm was the same for 0.5s at the start. I was using 2s charged with 12A and volts was 8.1-8.2 for the tests.

I have tried to use to use your software for the analysis but the curves of my data are difficult to model like you show on your YouTube videos so I have been using an excel file from old posts from John statham (I think his name was). Not sure if I need a better file to calculate my values.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want email me a data file I'll see if I can process it. Send it to [email protected].
Old 04-15-2018, 01:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks bob email sent
Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Maybe take a close look at your pulley system. Pullies are notoriously inefficient. It may seem small, but compared to direct drive, and the fact you are looking at high rpm may be a factor. Also double check where inertia is used in your power calculations. The reflected inertia of a flywheel is affected by the square of the gear ratio. With a 2:1 ratio, that would mean the inertia observed by the motor shaft is 1/4 the flywheel inertia. Use Google and the search term "reflected inertia" to see the concept (if you are unfamiliar), and to check my work.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks mick

bob has corrected me on this as I was not taking this into account. I now also have the corrected rpms so am in the ball park with other 13.5t results I have seen. Hopefully I can now collect some data I can use to help with setting boost.

with the data I collect is it best to use the peak power and peak efficiencies to set up boost and turbo like I have seen on nick Adams video or as previous post have discussed use the torque data?
Old 11-22-2020, 04:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hobby Motor Inertia Dyno

Hi guys! I would like to know what you think about the Hobby Motor Inertia Dyno by MiniPro, as far as analysing and setting up you motor. I have been involved with nitro engines the past 20 years and now trying to find my way in electric 1:10 off road...
Thank you for your time!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peri
Hi guys! I would like to know what you think about the Hobby Motor Inertia Dyno by MiniPro, as far as analysing and setting up you motor. I have been involved with nitro engines the past 20 years and now trying to find my way in electric 1:10 off road...
Thank you for your time!
The sampling rate on the MiniPro is far too slow. This results in raw data that is very noisy, which severely compromises accuracy.

Take a look at post #73 in this thread. It shows a graph of raw data using a sampling rate that is many orders of magnitude higher than the MiniPro. As you can see, the data is very smooth and free of noise. If you find a graph of raw data from the MiniPro, it will show so much noise that the graph will be unrecognizable. No amount of data smoothing will fix that.

Last edited by howardcano; 11-23-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by howardcano
The sampling rate on the MiniPro is far too slow. This results in raw data that is very noisy, which severely compromises accuracy.

Take a look at post #73 in this thread. It shows a graph of raw data using a sampling rate that is many orders of magnitude higher than the MiniPro. As you can see, the data is very smooth and free of noise. If you find a graph of raw data from the MiniPro, it will show so much noise that the graph will be unrecognizable. No amount of data smoothing will fix that.
Let me start by saying 20 samples per second on a rc car dyno is enough but should and could be more. it does calculate efficiency and plots current as well so it has that going for it. But what I would like to ask is what does a power curve do and how does it help?

from a mechanical power perspective these electric motor applications spend close to no time at peak power or peak efficiency. So how does a power curve help? Serious question. you probably have the ability to explain it in terms that other rc enthusiasts can understand.

the car accelerates 10 times for every 1 time it hits peak power. I don’t have nefarious intentions but there is a concept i’m working towards a step at a time. I’m not trying to unveil heat or efficiency as some proof of intelligence but it is the constraint that can be quantified in simple terms with the right skipper giving directions.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Digging up and old thread here since it seems like a better place to post the stuff I have been working on. I have also been using the Simple Dyno software even though the developer no longer supports it. I use an Arduino to record the RPM, voltage and current data. I have been working on an improved way to record the data but I need to get an Arduino with more RAM (currently using an Arduino Nano). I plan to record the time for each revolution of the flywheel. I have done this with the Nano but run out of space after 1 second or so. My flywheel design usually results in 5 or 6 second runs. I will post some pics and data when I get home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.