New Tekin redline gen3 motors >

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Like Tree20Likes

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
May have missed it so apologize up front if that is the case, but in general are there recommended starting settings per spec class for the spec-r motors? Looking for something similar to what the Motiv guys have on there wiki:
17.5 2wd Buggy:

Can timing between 45-51
Stock Yellow Rotor
Gearing varies do to track size and layout. Take your current gearing, drop 3 teeth. This is with a motor fan setup.

4wd 13.5 Buggy:

Can Timing between 42-50
Stock Yellow Rotor
Gearing is around 8.5'ish FDR on most indoor tracks. IF you're smaller/shorter, gear down. Again cooling fan required.
Cain likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

May have missed it so apologize up front if that is the case, but in general are there recommended starting settings per spec class for the spec-r motors? Looking for something similar to what the Motiv guys have on there wiki:
FDR really depends on track size, but here's what I've found without using a cooling fan:

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-8.0
Timing: 40-45*
Rotor: Stock Yellow
Fan: No

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 8.0-9.5
Timing: 40-45*
Rotor: Stock Yellow
Fan: No (clip on heatsink, yes)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

I was running 81/23 in my 4wd with 50 deg timing, which is close to what Randy posted. And yes, you will need a fan. I would recommend running your fan at full battery power (~8.4v) for the best possible cooling. The amount of air moved between 6v and 8.4 is huge.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Tech Prophet

I need to reshim my 13.5 spec-r. I have teflon shims for the sensor board side, but the pinion side seems to be about 4mm in diameter. I dont see motor shims on the tekin website, what is everyone using to shim the rotors. Also, my motor has 1 shim on each side of the rotor? Is that the "default"
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I need to reshim my 13.5 spec-r. I have teflon shims for the sensor board side, but the pinion side seems to be about 4mm in diameter. I dont see motor shims on the tekin website, what is everyone using to shim the rotors. Also, my motor has 1 shim on each side of the rotor? Is that the "default"
Spare shims come in every Spec R box, they're under the foam with the sensor harness.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Spare shims come in every Spec R box, they're under the foam with the sensor harness.
Well, I feel silly now, lol.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

just wanting to confirm for a Gen 3 Mod motor, if a motor stutters / cuts out but when you pull the sensor setup it works (within reason of course), its most likely a bad sensor board (assuming the sensor wire and esc are good), correct? Or is there something else internal to the motor that could be going on?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

just wanting to confirm for a Gen 3 Mod motor, if a motor stutters / cuts out but when you pull the sensor setup it works (within reason of course), its most likely a bad sensor board (assuming the sensor wire and esc are good), correct? Or is there something else internal to the motor that could be going on?
Not 100% sure what you are saying, but in general stuttering or delay on throttle is a sensor issue of some sort. Can your ESC do non sensored mode? If so, try that and see if the issue changes or gets better. Make sure you disconnect the cable when doing this.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Not 100% sure what you are saying, but in general stuttering or delay on throttle is a sensor issue of some sort. Can your ESC do non sensored mode? If so, try that and see if the issue changes or gets better. Make sure you disconnect the cable when doing this.
I just want to confirm its a board issue versus something else that would need to be looked at as well, assuming the sensor on the ESC is fine and the sensor wire is fine. The ESC can do both modes and the motor works basically in sensorless mode.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Prophet

I just want to confirm its a board issue versus something else that would need to be looked at as well, assuming the sensor on the ESC is fine and the sensor wire is fine. The ESC can do both modes and the motor works basically in sensorless mode.
All you can do is troubleshoot. Try a new sensor wire, try a different sensor board and/or try a different ESC.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

Yes, you are on the right track for troubleshooting. If you look closely at the esc, the last 3 LEDs (far right, labeled TP, MT, and VC) will be lit dimly to show what the sensors are reading. As you spin the motor, those 3 LEDs will cycle as the corresponding hall sensors read the rotor position. If one of them isn't lighting up, you definitely have an issue.

You don't even have to wire up a motor to test it. Just plug in the sensor port, power up the speed control, and spin the motor. I've tested other peoples motors while they were still in their car. Just don't hit the throttle!
Cain likes this.