Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New Tekin redline gen3 motors >

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Like Tree20Likes

New Tekin redline gen3 motors

Reply

Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 AM
  #256  
Team Tekin
iTrader: (6)
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,860
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
May have missed it so apologize up front if that is the case, but in general are there recommended starting settings per spec class for the spec-r motors? Looking for something similar to what the Motiv guys have on there wiki:
17.5 2wd Buggy:

Can timing between 45-51
Stock Yellow Rotor
Gearing varies do to track size and layout. Take your current gearing, drop 3 teeth. This is with a motor fan setup.

4wd 13.5 Buggy:

Can Timing between 42-50
Stock Yellow Rotor
Gearing is around 8.5'ish FDR on most indoor tracks. IF you're smaller/shorter, gear down. Again cooling fan required.
Cain likes this.
Randy_Pike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
  #257  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (152)
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,467
Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
May have missed it so apologize up front if that is the case, but in general are there recommended starting settings per spec class for the spec-r motors? Looking for something similar to what the Motiv guys have on there wiki:
FDR really depends on track size, but here's what I've found without using a cooling fan:

17.5 2WD Buggy
FDR: 7.0-8.0
Timing: 40-45*
Rotor: Stock Yellow
Fan: No

13.5 4WD Buggy
FDR: 8.0-9.5
Timing: 40-45*
Rotor: Stock Yellow
Fan: No (clip on heatsink, yes)
Krio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:00 PM
  #258  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (82)
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17,229
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

I was running 81/23 in my 4wd with 50 deg timing, which is close to what Randy posted. And yes, you will need a fan. I would recommend running your fan at full battery power (~8.4v) for the best possible cooling. The amount of air moved between 6v and 8.4 is huge.
Wildcat1971 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM
  #259  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (82)
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17,229
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

I need to reshim my 13.5 spec-r. I have teflon shims for the sensor board side, but the pinion side seems to be about 4mm in diameter. I dont see motor shims on the tekin website, what is everyone using to shim the rotors. Also, my motor has 1 shim on each side of the rotor? Is that the "default"
Wildcat1971 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM
  #260  
Team Tekin
iTrader: (6)
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,860
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I need to reshim my 13.5 spec-r. I have teflon shims for the sensor board side, but the pinion side seems to be about 4mm in diameter. I dont see motor shims on the tekin website, what is everyone using to shim the rotors. Also, my motor has 1 shim on each side of the rotor? Is that the "default"
Spare shims come in every Spec R box, they're under the foam with the sensor harness.
Randy_Pike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 PM
  #261  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (82)
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17,229
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Spare shims come in every Spec R box, they're under the foam with the sensor harness.
Well, I feel silly now, lol.
Wildcat1971 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
  #262  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (253)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,244
Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)
Default

just wanting to confirm for a Gen 3 Mod motor, if a motor stutters / cuts out but when you pull the sensor setup it works (within reason of course), its most likely a bad sensor board (assuming the sensor wire and esc are good), correct? Or is there something else internal to the motor that could be going on?
Cain is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
  #263  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (82)
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17,229
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
just wanting to confirm for a Gen 3 Mod motor, if a motor stutters / cuts out but when you pull the sensor setup it works (within reason of course), its most likely a bad sensor board (assuming the sensor wire and esc are good), correct? Or is there something else internal to the motor that could be going on?
Not 100% sure what you are saying, but in general stuttering or delay on throttle is a sensor issue of some sort. Can your ESC do non sensored mode? If so, try that and see if the issue changes or gets better. Make sure you disconnect the cable when doing this.
Wildcat1971 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM
  #264  
Tech Legend
iTrader: (253)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,244
Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Not 100% sure what you are saying, but in general stuttering or delay on throttle is a sensor issue of some sort. Can your ESC do non sensored mode? If so, try that and see if the issue changes or gets better. Make sure you disconnect the cable when doing this.
I just want to confirm its a board issue versus something else that would need to be looked at as well, assuming the sensor on the ESC is fine and the sensor wire is fine. The ESC can do both modes and the motor works basically in sensorless mode.
Cain is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM
  #265  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (82)
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17,229
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I just want to confirm its a board issue versus something else that would need to be looked at as well, assuming the sensor on the ESC is fine and the sensor wire is fine. The ESC can do both modes and the motor works basically in sensorless mode.
All you can do is troubleshoot. Try a new sensor wire, try a different sensor board and/or try a different ESC.
Wildcat1971 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
  #266  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (152)
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,467
Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
just wanting to confirm for a Gen 3 Mod motor, if a motor stutters / cuts out but when you pull the sensor setup it works (within reason of course), its most likely a bad sensor board (assuming the sensor wire and esc are good), correct? Or is there something else internal to the motor that could be going on?
Yes, you are on the right track for troubleshooting. If you look closely at the esc, the last 3 LEDs (far right, labeled TP, MT, and VC) will be lit dimly to show what the sensors are reading. As you spin the motor, those 3 LEDs will cycle as the corresponding hall sensors read the rotor position. If one of them isn't lighting up, you definitely have an issue.

You don't even have to wire up a motor to test it. Just plug in the sensor port, power up the speed control, and spin the motor. I've tested other peoples motors while they were still in their car. Just don't hit the throttle!
Cain likes this.
Krio is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service