R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/885805-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

lightfoot 07-24-2015 12:05 PM

What am I doing wrong ?

Just purchased a ESC / motor combo ... Reventon Pro 1.1... I carefully connected all the wires... double checked everything and then plugged in the battery... I heard a noise and then smoke started coming out of the motor... I quickly un plugged the battery... In a matter of a few seconds the motor was hot...

I tripple checked all the wiring and making sure there was no soldering connection, ext... everything looked fine... I connected up an older motor I had that I wasn't attached to... same thing again...

I'm not sure what to check at this point... any idea's ?

I've been in this hobby for 10 years, and have wired up countless electronics on cars... I'm not an expert but definitely non a newbie... HELP...

B16A2 07-26-2015 03:43 AM

Sounds like the ESC is the problem, it could be faulty.

wrongchannel 07-26-2015 11:51 AM

Disconnect your motor wires from the ESC and see if the ESC will power up and power your Receiver. If you get no response (or more smoke) you definitely have a bad ESC.

try swapping a friends known good ESC to confirm this and also check there's nothing wrong with the motor.

The most common cause of this is battery wire reverse polarity at the ESC.

If you bought the ESC new and recently you may be able to send it into Reventon under warranty.

Good luck. Hope everything works out.

-Chad

lightfoot 07-26-2015 05:37 PM

This is definite proof of me being and idiot... I've heard the rumors but now I have hard proof :D Turns out I was looking at the ESC wiring diagram in reverse and wired everything in correct order, but in reverse... Oh my... I can only hope now I didn't fry the ESC during those few seconds... going to go hide in a dark corner of shame :p

Andy Koback 07-26-2015 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by lightfoot (Post 14111775)
This is definite proof of me being and idiot... I've heard the rumors but now I have hard proof :D Turns out I was looking at the ESC wiring diagram in reverse and wired everything in correct order, but in reverse... Oh my... I can only hope now I didn't fry the ESC during those few seconds... going to go hide in a dark corner of shame :p

Learn something new every day!!! ;)

B16A2 07-26-2015 05:59 PM

It should be OK if you did not try and rev it for too long.

Small quick throttle spurts you will get away with.

Long full throttle squeezes while wondering why it wont go might have damaged the ESC

Frank L 07-29-2015 06:26 AM

As long as you didn't let the magic smoke out of the esc it should be ok. It's called magic smoke because once it's let out the esc won't work any more :cool: