Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Monster X release

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Having trouble running motor test for torque control with b link. Just can not get it to catch.

I send the new new settings that say test will run on next start up. Restart esc. I’ve tried recalibratiing throttle at startup first too (forw/rev/brk). Stumped as to why it’s not running and turning off motor as it should?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Guys, how is it with BEC on mamba x sensored, I set it to 7.4v but...when running 2s BEC voltage drops with battery voltage, isn't it constant voltage on 2s?
Second problem, when running Monster X with 1515 sensored on 5S LiFePo at the beggining I have BEC glitches, ESC stops sometimes on throttle untill packs voltage drops a little, after a minute or two of driving problem dissapeaers. ESC is set to auto cell, it recognizes 5s LiFePo as 4s Lipo (but real starting voltage is about 17.5v). On 4s lihv/lipo there is no problem.
Other thing, is there possibiity to change LVC by aux wire? For example for lipo and life packs (as 4s life is recognised as empty 4s lipo and LVC goes in after seconds).
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kajman
Guys, how is it with BEC on mamba x sensored, I set it to 7.4v but...when running 2s BEC voltage drops with battery voltage, isn't it constant voltage on 2s?
Second problem, when running Monster X with 1515 sensored on 5S LiFePo at the beggining I have BEC glitches, ESC stops sometimes on throttle untill packs voltage drops a little, after a minute or two of driving problem dissapeaers. ESC is set to auto cell, it recognizes 5s LiFePo as 4s Lipo (but real starting voltage is about 17.5v). On 4s lihv/lipo there is no problem.
Other thing, is there possibiity to change LVC by aux wire? For example for lipo and life packs (as 4s life is recognised as empty 4s lipo and LVC goes in after seconds).
sounds like a good candidate for a cap pack,
or more likely a universal capacitor; one on an extra channel of the rx should stabilize bec output. I like the castle cap pack in addition for added protection/less strain.

Ive been happy with the castle b link (Bluetooth). You can change V cutoff and many other features via phone, latest software you don’t even have to power of esc manually for changes to take effect.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Walz, is it already working with android phones? Iphones are not my story...
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kajman
Walz, is it already working with android phones? Iphones are not my story...
Currently only available for iOS, but we are working hard on the Android version.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Great, any ideas how long it may take?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Robert@Castle: I just installed an MMX on my Kraton. I have been told that the cooling fan only kicks-on at 150F. Is there a reason for it kicking at this high of a temperature? Seems unnecessarily high. Is there a setting in the Castle Link software to have the fan kick-on at a lower temperature or run continuously? Seems like that would be a nice feature to have.

As a side note, I'm looking forward the Android version of the B-link software.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxbraketorque
Robert@Castle: I just installed an MMX on my Kraton. I have been told that the cooling fan only kicks-on at 150F. Is there a reason for it kicking at this high of a temperature? Seems unnecessarily high. Is there a setting in the Castle Link software to have the fan kick-on at a lower temperature or run continuously? Seems like that would be a nice feature to have.
As a side note, I'm looking forward the Android version of the B-link software.
It comes on at 65C/149F and turns back off at 55C/131F. There is not currently a setting for this, but no reason we couldn't if people wanted it. We figured most people would prefer the silence of not having the fan until it is needed. We have our thermal cutoffs somewhere around 110C/230F, so we don't consider 65C/149F to be all that hot.

For reference, a few years ago we built a thermal cycle tester. It dunked an ESC is 95C oil for ~3 minutes and then checked to make sure everything still worked, then it would pick up the ESC and dunk it in oil that was chilled to 5C for ~3 minutes before running the tests again. It would repeat that process forever. We ran a pair of Sidewinder 3's like that constantly for ~13,000 complete cycles and didn't have any issues with them. I don't think any one is ever going to get their ESC that hot that many times. So really you don't need to worry about the ESC being hot unless you are hitting the thermal cutoff on a regular basis.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by robert@castle
It comes on at 65C/149F and turns back off at 55C/131F. There is not currently a setting for this, but no reason we couldn't if people wanted it. We figured most people would prefer the silence of not having the fan until it is needed. We have our thermal cutoffs somewhere around 110C/230F, so we don't consider 65C/149F to be all that hot.

For reference, a few years ago we built a thermal cycle tester. It dunked an ESC is 95C oil for ~3 minutes and then checked to make sure everything still worked, then it would pick up the ESC and dunk it in oil that was chilled to 5C for ~3 minutes before running the tests again. It would repeat that process forever. We ran a pair of Sidewinder 3's like that constantly for ~13,000 complete cycles and didn't have any issues with them. I don't think any one is ever going to get their ESC that hot that many times. So really you don't need to worry about the ESC being hot unless you are hitting the thermal cutoff on a regular basis.
Thanks for the quick response. Its nice to see the testing to prove that 150F is not too hot, but there some extreme users who feel its better to have the fan running full time, or at least turning on well before 150F. These people can be fairly influential in the community. I think it would be better for product image if the fan enable temperature were user adjustable or at least set at a lower temperature such as 100F. As far as noise goes, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all RC car users would agree that fan noise is a minor addition to the total noise level, and probably most don't even care about the level of noise that a typical electric RC car makes. So I'd say that having the fan kick-on at a lower temperature is more desirable than any minor reduction noise level. Hopefully that makes sense.

BTW, the current MMX FAQ on the CC website says that the fan is enabled at 140F, not 150F. Might want to update that for the correct value.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Also, its absolutely awesome to have a responsive company rep on a website to answer questions. Its much appreciated.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Why is it that I only see bashers with this esc and not racers?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by riceball777
Why is it that I only see bashers with this esc and not racers?
I race with Castle ESCs but my Mamba Monster works so well and for so long I haven't upgraded to a Monster X.

I'd kinda like to for the data logging but my general policy is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Finally had got everything fixed on my RC and got in a good run with the MMX. Data log attached. WOT current spikes are in the range of 150 A. The MMX pretty quickly reached 150F, and then continued to cruise on up to 167F. If I hadn't eased up, I'm pretty sure I could have hit 200F. In order to help keep MMX temperatures under control, any problem with cutting out the X in the fan shroud and replacing it with window screen to allow more air flow?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Can I set the bec to 8volts for my high voltage servos? Most other esc only have the bec to 6volts or 7.2vs. But the momba monster has a 8v setting. Will with fry my high voltage servo or is it ok?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by riceball777
Can I set the bec to 8volts for my high voltage servos? Most other esc only have the bec to 6volts or 7.2vs. But the momba monster has a 8v setting. Will with fry my high voltage servo or is it ok?
Check every component of your system. Some receivers can't handle more than 6 or 6.5V. Also some HV servos are rated for 7.2V and others are rated for 8.4V.

I do not recommend trying it, but some 7.2V servos are fine with 8.4V, but you have to be willing to risk the servo to find out. I ran one directly off a 2s lipo for about a year and never had an issue with it, but I knew I could have blown it up at any time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.