Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Mamba Monster X release >

Mamba Monster X release

Mamba Monster X release

Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Just ordered the pre production esc MMX and 1512 motor. Hope it was worth it, ive always been happy with my mmp's and countless 1410's hope this stacks up.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It will still require a universal type of sensor harness, which will use an adapter to hook to Castles proprietary style.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

I will be running it sensorless until that part becomes available, and then with a pro 4 HD 4300kv in my serpent 811be is where it will sit.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
More people run Sensored equipment then you think, its 100x smoother for bashing and for racing. Its worth the money to have.
I guarantee you that 100% of the people running Castle 15 series (and larger) are running sensorless.

As far as "100% smoother", my personal experience is different than yours. I have three race cars running 15 series and larger motors: 1/8th buggy, 1/8th truggy, and 1/8th late model. Only one is sensored, and the other two are not at all lacking for "smoothness." It's all in the finger.

This would primarly go in my 1:8 e buggy. Parts of our course is tight and technical. The low end on 4s isnt very smooth with the mamba monster v3. I know the rx8 and hobbywing only use sensored for start up. But generally they have better throttle control at low speeds. I'm still on the fence on what system to get. i've race for many years but just got into 1/8 ebuggy. I've got a big race this weekend and my mamba monster and 2200 out of my emaxx will be powering my buggy. Dont get me wrong its fast and super reliable. I would just like sensored for that low speed smoothness. I'll be upgrading to a new system in a few weeks (so i can use my emaxx again lol). So i'll keep an eye on this. But sensored is primarily what im looking for. Thanks for the feedback.
It is the software in the controller and not the sensors that make the difference. It is unlikely that Castle will change how their software feels just because they added sensors for startup.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I guarantee you that 100% of the people running Castle 15 series (and larger) are running sensorless.

As far as "100% smoother", my personal experience is different than yours. I have three race cars running 15 series and larger motors: 1/8th buggy, 1/8th truggy, and 1/8th late model. Only one is sensored, and the other two are not at all lacking for "smoothness." It's all in the finger.

It is the software in the controller and not the sensors that make the difference. It is unlikely that Castle will change how their software feels just because they added sensors for startup.
I've been racing for a long time, and its not all in the finger. From dirt oval, to carpet, to 1/10, and 1/8 offroad. The motor startup and low speed ability is noticeably better on a sensored setup. Yes software can help a sensorless setup predict rotor location better then other setups. But a sensored setup is still the way to go for me. And the castle line up is all sensorless motors, so its pretty much common sense that anyone running these would be running sensorless. But seriously, have you run both side by side? I still like the new x esc, i will just have to wait for the adaptor to become available before i make a purchase.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

I've been racing for a long time, and its not all in the finger. From dirt oval, to carpet, to 1/10, and 1/8 offroad. The motor startup and low speed ability is noticeably better on a sensored setup. Yes software can help a sensorless setup predict rotor location better then other setups. But a sensored setup is still the way to go for me. And the castle line up is all sensorless motors, so its pretty much common sense that anyone running these would be running sensorless. But seriously, have you run both side by side? I still like the new x esc, i will just have to wait for the adaptor to become available before i make a purchase.
Well, I've not run sensored and sensorless literally side by side because I can only drive one car at a time.

But every race day I run my sensored 1/8th buggy and my sensorless 1/8th truggy within a few heats of each other and do not notice a difference.

In a different 1/8th buggy I had a Tekin system with a T8 motor. The rotor was going bad and it developed a vibration. All I had handy at the time was a 1800KV Castle 1512. I put that in the car and did not see a difference in "smoothness" or low speed control. Someone else drove the car and praised its "smoothness."

It is the difference in the software that makes people (who don't know any better) think their RX-8 is smoother and more drivable because it is sensored. It's not the sensors. Castle software is about power. Tekin software is about racing. Even so, my finger lets me drive my Castle powered truggy and late model as well as my Tekin powered buggy.

Talking about carpet cars and 1/10th dirt oval with spec motors, sensored in unquestionably the way to go. But no one serious about those types of racing would try to stuff a Mamba Monster X in one of those cars. So I'll stick by my point that, for the uses where a Monster X is indicated, for most people it would be an unnecessary added expense for Castle include the sensor adapter in every Monster X box.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I've not run sensored and sensorless literally side by side because I can only drive one car at a time.

But every race day I run my sensored 1/8th buggy and my sensorless 1/8th truggy within a few heats of each other and do not notice a difference.

In a different 1/8th buggy I had a Tekin system with a T8 motor. The rotor was going bad and it developed a vibration. All I had handy at the time was a 1800KV Castle 1512. I put that in the car and did not see a difference in "smoothness" or low speed control. Someone else drove the car and praised its "smoothness."

It is the difference in the software that makes people (who don't know any better) think their RX-8 is smoother and more drivable because it is sensored. It's not the sensors. Castle software is about power. Tekin software is about racing. Even so, my finger lets me drive my Castle powered truggy and late model as well as my Tekin powered buggy.

Talking about carpet cars and 1/10th dirt oval with spec motors, sensored in unquestionably the way to go. But no one serious about those types of racing would try to stuff a Mamba Monster X in one of those cars. So I'll stick by my point that, for the uses where a Monster X is indicated, for most people it would be an unnecessary added expense for Castle include the sensor adapter in every Monster X box.

And i've gotten the exact opposite response from another racer who tried my buggy this past weekend. Maybe the mamba monster has lousy software. But Its easy to feel the difference between it and a rx8 or a hobby wing. And I don't use spec motors all the time on carpet and dirt oval, sometimes run mod motors too. I've been racing for 22 years. I can drive my car just fine, but the low speed smoothness and throttle response annoys me. I run very high quality packs too. I just threw this setup into my buggy because I had it on hand, wasn't sure if I was going to really like the class. But now that I'm going to go ahead with it. I want a dedicated setup for the buggy, so I can put my mamba monster back in my emaxx. You can subtly insult me all you want. I've got more rc experience then most, and I know what I'm feeling when driving my cars.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

And what happens with a sensorless setup if you spin out and your car rolls backwards? The first time you hit the throttle after that the car hesitates and cogs for a little until everything gets going again. I have run brushless stuff longer than probably any of you (I was sponsored by Castle and had pre-production Mamba Max's), and I've got to say Castle has made massive strides in the drivability of the sensorless stuff. A friend of mine has Castle stuff in his 4wd SCT, and it works very well and is very smooth. It still has a slight hesitation when you first pull the trigger, and it still has the cogging issue after it rolls backwards. I really don't think there is anything you can do about either of those things n a sensorless setup. The new MonsterX does look good though, can't wait to see how it does.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I personally ran the Monster X both sensored and non sensored. Setup is Tekno EB48.2, Monster X, Tekin 1900kv motor, GensAce 5300mah Lipo 35c, Radiopost tx/rx with Team Edition servo. Bec set at 8v. I ran the car for 5minutes with the sensor wire connected then 5minutes with it disconnected. Lap times were in line both ways and I could not tell a difference between the two. Also what really sold me on the X non-sensored is the next test I did. I pushed the car backwards on the track and smoothly drove out of a backwards roll. Years ago I switched to sensored because I got tired of spinning out and rolling backwards and having to wait for the car to stop before it would change directions.
Like I said try it for yourself. If you haven't driven it yet you can't assume anything. And again kudos to Castle engineers for the work and time they spend supplying us with awesome product!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
And what happens with a sensorless setup if you spin out and your car rolls backwards? The first time you hit the throttle after that the car hesitates and cogs for a little until everything gets going again. I have run brushless stuff longer than probably any of you (I was sponsored by Castle and had pre-production Mamba Max's), and I've got to say Castle has made massive strides in the drivability of the sensorless stuff. A friend of mine has Castle stuff in his 4wd SCT, and it works very well and is very smooth. It still has a slight hesitation when you first pull the trigger, and it still has the cogging issue after it rolls backwards. I really don't think there is anything you can do about either of those things n a sensorless setup. The new MonsterX does look good though, can't wait to see how it does.
Yea i ran mamba max's and novak gtb's back when they first came out. I'm seriously leaning toward the x because of the versatility with the bec. I own high voltage servos, and receivers. So it will be nice to supply the proper voltage right from the esc, vs using a external bec.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
I personally ran the Monster X both sensored and non sensored. Setup is Tekno EB48.2, Monster X, Tekin 1900kv motor, GensAce 5300mah Lipo 35c, Radiopost tx/rx with Team Edition servo. Bec set at 8v. I ran the car for 5minutes with the sensor wire connected then 5minutes with it disconnected. Lap times were in line both ways and I could not tell a difference between the two. Also what really sold me on the X non-sensored is the next test I did. I pushed the car backwards on the track and smoothly drove out of a backwards roll. Years ago I switched to sensored because I got tired of spinning out and rolling backwards and having to wait for the car to stop before it would change directions.
Like I said try it for yourself. If you haven't driven it yet you can't assume anything. And again kudos to Castle engineers for the work and time they spend supplying us with awesome product!
I will have to try it for myself, and i'm not bashing castle in any way. I've used and owned all of their surface esc's and motors. Loved every one of them. But if the x is that smooth, that will make choosing motors allot easier, and much more affordable.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

You can subtly insult me all you want. I've got more rc experience then most, and I know what I'm feeling when driving my cars.
Wasn't intending to insult you. It is just a fact that there are people who don't understand what Tekin Dual Drive or Castle Smart Sense is.

Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
And what happens with a sensorless setup if you spin out and your car rolls backwards?
I've never had that happen with my sensorless Truggy or Late Model. OTOH, with the crash fest that 4WD SC has become, I switched to sensored for that very reason.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the bec adjustable to 7v. I have a hv servo but it only goes up to 7.2v max. I wouldn't want to fry it with 7.5v.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
Is the bec adjustable to 7v. I have a hv servo but it only goes up to 7.2v max. I wouldn't want to fry it with 7.5v.
Yes you can set the bec where you want it up to 8v. What brand servo are you runnin? There is not a hv servo out there that I am aware of that can't handle all the way up to 8.4v regardless of the rating. I've personally tested futaba, Savox and radiopost directly on a 2s Lipo which is 8.4v fully charged.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Would there be any difference between the pre production and the production model? Also is there a date for the shipping or the release ofproduction models?

Last edited by cbs007; 07-20-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service