Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus >

Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus

Like Tree11Likes

Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus

Old 06-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looks like you are running the right gearing but the outside temp might be the culprit I would open up the body where the motor sits to let some more air also you didnít mention what fan you are running on the motor but Iíve had good luck with castle fan also check the timing on the esc lower it if you need to
Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mavdriver View Post
Looks like you are running the right gearing but the outside temp might be the culprit I would open up the body where the motor sits to let some more air also you didnít mention what fan you are running on the motor but Iíve had good luck with castle fan also check the timing on the esc lower it if you need to
Thank you for the response! The timing in the esc is at the factory setting. Same goes for the motor. Punch is at 5. The fan I bought is the Yokomo 30x30 hyper fan. It moves some serious air, but is super loud! I wish there was something I could do to be able to get the temps down and put the fan away.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

once you cook a motor they always seen to run hot. Do you have another motor you can run for 10 minutes and see what temp it hit's? Look at the windings in the motor if they are starting to look like a black and blue on your arm and not copper color is a sign that it has been overheated and will have more resistance in the winding's which will cause it to run hot. Not much you can really do if that's the case. just run it or use it as a practice motor, if winding's look good then pursue ways to get more air to it and make sure motor bearings are in good shape etc.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boborc View Post
once you cook a motor they always seen to run hot. Do you have another motor you can run for 10 minutes and see what temp it hit's? Look at the windings in the motor if they are starting to look like a black and blue on your arm and not copper color is a sign that it has been overheated and will have more resistance in the winding's which will cause it to run hot. Not much you can really do if that's the case. just run it or use it as a practice motor, if winding's look good then pursue ways to get more air to it and make sure motor bearings are in good shape etc.
Thanks for the advice. Iíll check it tomorrow. Iíll have to wait until more ebuggies are practicing to see what temps theyíre at. Another racer has the exact same buggy and xr8 plus system.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lihv

Hello,question can the xerun xr8s plus handle 6s lihv lipo power ?
The manual and at the HW site there is nothing that say that you can use lihv,only talking about lipo.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nils Ssx8r View Post
Hello,question can the xerun xr8s plus handle 6s lihv lipo power ?
The manual and at the HW site there is nothing that say that you can use lihv,only talking about lipo.
I think you need to contact Hobbywing support to have a 100% valid answer for that question.

Last edited by Hitokiri_2000; 08-19-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm looking for gearing suggestions for E Truggy. The Xray XT8e is amazing with the XR8Plus and the 2100 Maclan Truggy motor but it doesn't feel as fast as my E buggy running the XR8SCT with 1950 Maclan motor. Any suggestions for gearing or esc settings?
Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just bought an XR8 Plus and the 2250 XERUN 1/8 motor. It ran well for about 8 runs (temp looked great on both ESC and mtr). All of the sudden, during a run, the motor stopped. Thought it was a battery at first but realized after swapping it out that was not the problem. When I power the system up I get the 4-green lights (for 4s) then I get a red flashing light on the ESC.... and no throttle response. The steering servo - working fine.
Unplugged the ESC from the rcvr and back in again, thinking it might be a bad connection, but no fix.
I went back to calibrate the Tx and ESC but that isn't working either.
Suggestions?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Sure don't sound good, I think you need to contact Hobbywing and seek advice with them.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Trying to help with my son's school project - he needs to slow down CEN Reeper 1/7 to make it into a autonomous rover capable of driving at approx. 3-5 mph.
Would Xerun XR8 Plus 1/8 coupled with Xerun 4268SD G2 1/8 Sensored Brushless Motor (1600kV) be able to achieve it assuming running it in a full sensored mode? We can gear it down a bit too if needed. Planning to use 3S. Basically we need very slow and precise driving capabilities @ speeds 3 to max 20 mph, with 3-5 mph is being used mostly. No rapid accelerations or racing.
What do you think?

-albertr

Last edited by albertr; 10-30-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there any way to read motor's current RPMs from Xerun XR8 Plus ESC via programming port or otherwise in full sensored mode?

-albertr
Old 10-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 225 (100%+)

Sounds like it would just be easier to turn your throttle epa down to control speed
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by falcon_az View Post
I just bought an XR8 Plus and the 2250 XERUN 1/8 motor. It ran well for about 8 runs (temp looked great on both ESC and mtr). All of the sudden, during a run, the motor stopped. Thought it was a battery at first but realized after swapping it out that was not the problem. When I power the system up I get the 4-green lights (for 4s) then I get a red flashing light on the ESC.... and no throttle response. The steering servo - working fine.
Unplugged the ESC from the rcvr and back in again, thinking it might be a bad connection, but no fix.
I went back to calibrate the Tx and ESC but that isn't working either.
Suggestions?
Probably a month too late to help but I had a similar thing with an XR8 Plus behaving the same as yours, it turned out to be a dry solder joint on one of the motor wire posts on the ESC, I just heated up all the ESC posts again and flowed some more solder in and it worked fine ever since
Hitokiri_2000 likes this.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Drive mode: Full-sensored vs Hybrid

I have an XR8 Plus combo with a 4268 SD G2 motor in Losi 8ight 4WD buggy. I have not messed with the settings much but have it in Full sensored mode and Turbo is off. I would like to understand more about how to choose the drive mode. Full-sensored sounded like the right choice but should I consider the Hybrid mode? Looks like you can have Full with Turbo or Hybrid with Boost.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by albertr View Post
Is there any way to read motor's current RPMs from Xerun XR8 Plus ESC via programming port or otherwise in full sensored mode?

-albertr
if you get a pickup like Futaba telemetry sensor

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service