Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus >

Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus

Like Tree11Likes

Hobbywing XERUN XR8 Plus

Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

make sure you check your settings. I was reading through some of the instructions someone posted and the xr8 has multiple sensor modes. In one of them you MUST use a hobbywing motor or risk damage to the esc.
that being said I hope this thing holds up since I just ordered one to use on my sct410.3
Old 09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by one8updragracer View Post
make sure you check your settings. I was reading through some of the instructions someone posted and the xr8 has multiple sensor modes. In one of them you MUST use a hobbywing motor or risk damage to the esc.
that being said I hope this thing holds up since I just ordered one to use on my sct410.3
As of today, hobbywing have not enabled 100% sensored mode/turbo enabled mode on the xr8 esc. Currently xr8 is running in hybrid mode only.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 91bird View Post
Has anyone experienced cogging issues from a stop?

I'm experiencing a lot of cogging from a stop and sometimes upto couple seconds delay from throttle input before the car moves.

I have a XR8 Plus paired with a SMC 540-4 Pole 4500KV motor. Using Venom 7200mAh 2S lipo 100C in a Team Durango DESC10 short course truck with a 14T pinion.

Same result with Spektrum and Airtronics radio system. Tried new sensor wire with same cogging result.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Sound like a sensor issues, try running without sensor wire. If the cog issues is resolved, try a different motor or esc to determine the root of the problem.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

At this point you really can't run it in the wrong sensor mode. What motor are you going to be running on your 410.3? On 2s I assume? Curious your results if so.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Boner, can you verify if your fan connector is kind of loose on the prongs for me? Mine is and my fan is acting weird. Sometimes its spinning fast other times its spinning slow. I notice when I pull off my buggy body after a run the fan is usually spinning rather slow, when I temp ESC after a run its around 115 which isnt bad but seem's like if the fan was moving faster it would be around 100 which I would feel better about. Maybe fan speed is controlled by the ESC with temp and its doing what it is supposed to do just trying to verify.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan.J View Post
Boner, can you verify if your fan connector is kind of loose on the prongs for me? Mine is and my fan is acting weird. Sometimes its spinning fast other times its spinning slow. I notice when I pull off my buggy body after a run the fan is usually spinning rather slow, when I temp ESC after a run its around 115 which isnt bad but seem's like if the fan was moving faster it would be around 100 which I would feel better about. Maybe fan speed is controlled by the ESC with temp and its doing what it is supposed to do just trying to verify.
DAN.J.
My is kind of tight due to a heat shrink around the plug+wire. (less fatigue the wiring when pulling and inserting the plug for programing). When I plug in the programing plug, it's a little be loose if I didn't fully inserted but once it's seated it's tight.
My fan spin "fast" or "loud" vs my other HW ESC (SCT or Xerun150A). I did notice fan become quieter/spinning at lower speed after running. I need to verify if the fan port voltage is control thru BEC, fixed voltage or same as input.
Wonder if anyone try running sensorless and sensored back to back with XR8? I found running sensorless have better power output or more linear power control feeling. It's possible the sensor board on my motor is failing causing XR8 to run weird with sensor wired plugged in. In sensorless mode, it's silky smooth, smoother or just as smooth as SCT/Xerun150A in sensored mode. My run with XR8 sensored mode is mixed bag, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad and I think it's due to the motor's sensor board.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dan.J View Post
At this point you really can't run it in the wrong sensor mode. What motor are you going to be running on your 410.3? On 2s I assume? Curious your results if so.
SMC 4500kv. this is my first go round with anything other than E-buggy so I have a lot to learn.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

SMC 4500kv. this is my first go round with anything other than E-buggy so I have a lot to learn.
Let us know how the esc works on a 2 cell setup please, power wise as I'm curious. The 410.3 is a great truck that works VERY well once you get it setup for your track/style.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just purchased the XR8 Plus and I was wondering if anyone knew when the new Hobbywing motors may be coming out?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by boner View Post
Sound like a sensor issues, try running without sensor wire. If the cog issues is resolved, try a different motor or esc to determine the root of the problem.
I removed the wheels/tires and tested the setup in my DESC10 on the bench. With no load on the motor (besides drivetrain friction) I was able to reproduce the cogging from a stop. This is with very very very little throttle.
I unplugged the sensor wire (power off first) and the cogging went away but the drivetrain would surge. Again this was at very very very low throttle input. It was surging like it had a big cam in it. I have not tried running on the ground with the sensor wire unplugged yet.

I'm starting to think the no throttle response for a few seconds may be from brown out. I have to look into this more. Im going to power the receiver straight from the 2s lipo powering the car even if a brownout issue isn't happening. Can the BEC be turned off in the esc?

I would swap motors and esc to find the culprit but I dont have any spares at the moment.

The person who asked how it performs on 2S... For me,after it stops cogclogging it is a beast. Takes off like a rocket in my Durango DESC10. Thats with my Venom 7200mAh 100C battery.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 91bird View Post
I removed the wheels/tires and tested the setup in my DESC10 on the bench. With no load on the motor (besides drivetrain friction) I was able to reproduce the cogging from a stop. This is with very very very little throttle.
I unplugged the sensor wire (power off first) and the cogging went away but the drivetrain would surge. Again this was at very very very low throttle input. It was surging like it had a big cam in it. I have not tried running on the ground with the sensor wire unplugged yet.

I'm starting to think the no throttle response for a few seconds may be from brown out. I have to look into this more. Im going to power the receiver straight from the 2s lipo powering the car even if a brownout issue isn't happening. Can the BEC be turned off in the esc?

I would swap motors and esc to find the culprit but I dont have any spares at the moment.

The person who asked how it performs on 2S... For me,after it stops cogclogging it is a beast. Takes off like a rocket in my Durango DESC10. Thats with my Venom 7200mAh 100C battery.
To by pass internal bec, remove the red wire/pin from the esc lead to rx.

Sensorless mode will cog slightly at initial turning of motor (esc firing a defined pattern to make motor turning correct rotation).

I think it's more a issue of sensor board that cause cogging in sensored mode running.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

how have these been holding up durability wise?

also, whats the warranty length on these?

Assuming these aren't waterproof either, correct?
Old 09-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

I got mine today going to mount it in my sct410.3 here in a little bit.
It looks a little tight, and I have seen pictures of people mounting them longways from left to right. I am going to mount mine front to back. you get much more clearance so the case isn't vibrating against the side guard or the driveshaft.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

I got mine today going to mount it in my sct410.3 here in a little bit.
It looks a little tight, and I have seen pictures of people mounting them longways from left to right. I am going to mount mine front to back. you get much more clearance so the case isn't vibrating against the side guard or the driveshaft.
Pic's please
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Wiring it up now I will post a pic when completed

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service