Wiki Posts
Search

Using DC charger on a 12v portable jump start pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Questions?? Using DC charger on a 12v portable jump start pack

This question was raised to me by a fellow racer over the weekend and honestly, I didn't have an answer to the question.

If a 12v power jump start box (aka power pack) is used, this could potentially run quite a few chargers for a day. I imagine that the jump packs have a voltage that runs somewhere in the high 12v range and possibly in the low 13v spectrum.

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work? The racers are looking for a quick way to charge batteries in an area where there is no AC or DC power and is inaccessible by vehicle. Generators would be too heavy and noisy.

Is this a viable option? The chargers used would be Duratrax Onyx 245 units. The charger's alligator clips would clip right on the much larger jumper cable leads on the jump box.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It works fine. All they are is a gel cell 12V battery. Just know, you can drain it if you are doing a lot of charging off it.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
It works fine. All they are is a gel cell 12V battery. Just know, you can drain it if you are doing a lot of charging off it.
Thanks for the info. I guess the key is to get a nice one with a large battery. I think the one I own is cheap and wouldn't be of much help to my fellow racers. I guess I will look for a good one.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Or save some money by just buying a couple of the batteries and a charger.

The problem is that small, easy to carry SLA batteries like that are usually only 7-9AH which is only 7000-9000 mah. If your charging 7000mah 2s packs, you're only going to get a few charges off it.