Traxxas Stability Management Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Stability Management Receiver

Looks like Traxxas is joining in the AVC market along with spektrum
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/traxxas-st...ment-receiver/
Finally bringing electronics up out of the dark ages like lipos did for battery tech . Once they bring it all others will have to follow just to keep market share.
Wonder how long before racing associations will have it as mandatory .
I say bring it on , the more innovation we can get the better
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So basically you want racing to require as little skill as possible and for the car to do most of the work? Where is the fun in that?
einsvanian likes this.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Me and the son were talking about this today. Maybe impose an age limit, say 11 and under to allow it. That would let the younger kids be a little competative with more experienced drivers. I was reading a little today on this. It says it requires the wireless link. Does that mean it will work with the original TQi with telemetry? Or does it have to have the bluetooth setup?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Well I just sprung for the TSM receiver $35. My wife was upgraded to a differant phone, so I got her old Iphone 3S. I Installed the Traxxas software on it. When I hooked it to the docking base, it updated the docking base, or so it stated. I guess to handle the TSM receiver. The old Traxxas link software I had used before on this phone, didn't have the TSM inside it. I'm experimenting on a 3908 BL E-Maxx. When it was done updating, (about 3 minutes), turn the truck off and on and the TX and restart, the drving affects was on the Traxxas link, showing the TSM adjustments. It just said there was no TSM receiver present.

Just to mention, this is the 2.4Gb Tqi without the bluetooth module. But the Iphone does have BlueTooth. So I guess when I get the receiver, we'll see if it all works like they claim.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tsm

I just got a TSM receiver and I too have the older Tsi tx with docking base. It works well. I put it on my 6 yr old sons bandit vxl. He has been driving almost daily since he was 3 and does well, but the TSM is nice. Can be turned off from the transmitter if you don't want it on. Seems to do what traxxas claims. I just ordered 2 more TSM receivers. Only down side for me is you can't bind any non tsi transmitter, I would like to be able to use older TQ link tx's too without the TSM function.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dudeness30
I just got a TSM receiver and I too have the older Tsi tx with docking base. It works well. I put it on my 6 yr old sons bandit vxl. He has been driving almost daily since he was 3 and does well, but the TSM is nice. Can be turned off from the transmitter if you don't want it on. Seems to do what traxxas claims. I just ordered 2 more TSM receivers. Only down side for me is you can't bind any non tsi transmitter, I would like to be able to use older TQ link tx's too without the TSM function.
Wow thanks for this. Are you using an ipod or Iphone with it as well? I think I read that while not neccessary to do that, you can control it through the Tqi multi function knob, it makes it nice imo. I was looking on Ebay before I bought the TSM Rx, and was surpised by how many other manufactorers were now making some type of steering controls. The non TSM Rx I have now is bound to the Tqi and Iphone thru the docking base. But I noticed during the docking base software update, the truck Rx was flickering like it was being updated as well. I'm kind of trying to figure out how it all talks back and forth at this point lol. Not as simple as it seems.

The Rx I have now/ telemetry only. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tqi-5-channe...item3cfee1a795

Maybe it needs to be at least a telemetry Rx? Not sure. Traxxas is being very tight lipped about all this lol. What works together and what doesn't.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

I use an old iPhone 4 and iPods, I have 3 tqi docking base tx's. I think you need to use the app the first time to update everything and set it up. Me and my kids have 6 traxxas rc's, 1 with telemetry sensors, 1 with TSM, 2 more 6533 receivers on the way. I did just order a TQI Bluetooth tx too.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

I guess the Bluetooth Tx works without telemetry? A basic TSM setup? Or can you replace the base with a docking base? I have seen how to do a regular Tqi to a dock base one. But wasn't sure the BT one could do this as well?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Ok I replaced my faulty new receiver with a New TSM receiver. Got it all configured on my 3908 E-Maxx and can confirm TSM does work on the Tqi controllers with a docking base an
Iphone (mine is 3GS) or Ipod. Once the Link telemetry sees it's a TSM capable receiver , it kicks in the extra control adjustment line for it.
Here's the telemetry with the TSM control on and off the multi function knob. You touch the button on the screen and it transfers the control to the MultiFunction knob. I haven't felt it control the motor, but I assume it's suppose too.

OFF the multi knob

ON the multi knob

Last edited by spookie; 07-25-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by R1Joel
So basically you want racing to require as little skill as possible and for the car to do most of the work? Where is the fun in that?
Haha, I like your answer.
It is about the same thing as we speak of vintage muscle cars vs hi-tech modern cars. The fun is to DRIVE it!
einsvanian likes this.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Yup and that is why there are so many younger kids on the winners podiums. Oh wait that's a rarity. The object is to get the younger generation into this hobby, not make it so difficult they walk away. I say an age limit would work on this and let them ease into it. Or even an "AVC" race for young kids, again with an age limit. No 30 year olds racing against a 10 year old. But the "purist" won't even think about that. That's why imo, this hobby is dieing. Between the cost of being competitive and the discouragement of coming in dead last over and over, younger people would rather sit in front of an X Box taking head shots. This comes from an old guy that had his first rc car over 35 years ago.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you make it so that they don't have to learn to control the car, there will be two outcomes.

1. They will never turn it off, and told they cannot race with it.
2. When they do finally turn it off, the car will be uncontrollable for them, and they will get easily frustrated and just not want to run it.

AVC will kill the racing scene if allowed. You wont have to worry about being beat by another driver, but rather being beat by a computer.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

There you go lol. The "amount " of Avc can be tuned more or less. I think parents should continue to give young kids fast trucks. That's what keeps the parts suppliers and chop shops in business lol. I knew my post would hit some nerves lol. I see NO reason why young kids can't be afforded an AVC category. Of course, that would entail making a maximum age limit as well, so some 40 year old guy isn't racing against them. Yeah their out there. Of course, the "purists" will argue against it. Lmao, there was a time when brushed motors were the only choice. I wonder if when BL hit, the same arguement ensued? BL is cheating I say!

2. When they do finally turn it off, the car will be uncontrollable for them, and they will get easily frustrated and just not want to run it.
That doesn't make sense. So they will be running the same truck, that they can't control in the first place without Avc?

Eta funny how when one of the AVC TX and Rx's hit the classified, their snapped up ultra quick. That tells me many are using this.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I have been into the hobby grade rcs for only 20 years, and I love the changes over the years, it's progress and I like tech stuff too. I don't miss my mechanical speed control, brushed motor and 6cell nicd pack that gave me a 3 minute run time. Just accept and enjoy the progress. I just got 3 TSM receivers and they only add to the fun. Now let's add some collision avoidance sensors and jump stabilizers, lol.
In all the hobby gets faster and more exciting and I welcome the advancements.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spookie
There you go lol. The "amount " of Avc can be tuned more or less. I think parents should continue to give young kids fast trucks. That's what keeps the parts suppliers and chop shops in business lol. I knew my post would hit some nerves lol. I see NO reason why young kids can't be afforded an AVC category. Of course, that would entail making a maximum age limit as well, so some 40 year old guy isn't racing against them. Yeah their out there. Of course, the "purists" will argue against it. Lmao, there was a time when brushed motors were the only choice. I wonder if when BL hit, the same arguement ensued? BL is cheating I say!

That doesn't make sense. So they will be running the same truck, that they can't control in the first place without Avc?

Eta funny how when one of the AVC TX and Rx's hit the classified, their snapped up ultra quick. That tells me many are using this.
I'm not going to get into this pissing match. Other than to say that equating age with skill level is extremely inaccurate. There's NO way you could simply say 9 and under you can run it. Over 9, nope can't use it anymore. That's ridiculous.

As a tool to help the "unskilled" learn to drive their new toy while out bashing, great idea and I'm all for it. Practice at the track, fine with that too.

While racing, regardless of class, age, or skill level. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.