Like Tree87Likes

Sanwa/Airtronics M12S

Old 10-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ya I would also like to know the battery life of this LiFe battery. Any expert here care to share thanks.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist View Post
M12S life battery question...

I fully charged the included LiFe battery with the wall charger. When I plug it into the m12s it says 7.1v then within about ten minutes of just being on and not even used it drops to 6.6v and then after about 30 minutes it drops to 6.5v.

Why does it loose power so fast? It's brand new.
Brand new batteries need to break in.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Suspended

hi. sorry i do not agree with a LiFe needing to be broken in.. what is batterys mah ? I know in my old M12 i had a 2800mah life and it would go down fast withing a day at the track. i replaced with a 3 cell li-ion and had no problem after that.. it was a 3200mah 3 cel li-ion i made myself.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
hi. sorry i do not agree with a LiFe needing to be broken in.. what is batterys mah ? I know in my old M12 i had a 2800mah life and it would go down fast withing a day at the track. i replaced with a 3 cell li-ion and had no problem after that.. it was a 3200mah 3 cel li-ion i made myself.

It's the stock Sanwa 1850 mah. I reset the m12s's On-Time Indictor to zero, charged the battery and will run a test to see how long until the low volt warning signals. So far the Life battery started at 7.1v and within a 6-7 minutes dropped to 6.6v. I'll report back with final results later.

It seems to discharge more slowly as the volts go lower. Before I reset the On-Time Indictor I had over 11 hours registered from out of the box Life level and one more partial pack.

So overall the battery is probably fine... Just strange voltage readings.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Update regarding stock Life battery. My m12s has 6.5volts and has been running for 4 hours and 12 minutes. Looks like I could probably get 11-13 hours before the first warning goes off and more by the time the low limit shuts it off. All good and loving the features especially the programmable r modes.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GIHOSU View Post

Who else has something to report?
I also recently switched to the M12S. My previous radio was a KO Propo EX-1.

I have logged two on-road race weekends so far and I prefer the M12S over the EX-1.

The largest difference between the two radios for me is the ergonomics and the throttle response.

The EX-1 with the non-3D drop-down + LiPo stand configuration was too top heavy for me. Holding it became uncomfortable at the end of a 6-minute main. In addition, the grip was nowhere large enough for my hand. To me, the M12S feels less top heavy and better overall with the large grip option and angled wheel.

Throttle control on the M12S feels more responsive and smoother feeling than the EX-1 to me. I'm running an ORCA VX3 in my 17.5 TC and the M12S gave the feeling of an ESC upgrade. The EX-1 felt a little "switchy" to me on the low end. I don't have that feeling at all with the M12S.

I also think a lot of my throttle praise has to do with the adjustable trigger tension, which the EX-1 sorely lacks. I can set it so that I can have my finger "leaning" on the throttle a little bit without it activating. It helps me smooth out the initial trigger pull and mid-range modulation.

I didn't run the radios back to back on the same track. So I don't know if my times improved any. But the M12S definitely has my vote.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Stock Life battery use update: I've used 1/10th of a volt and have just over six hours of powered on time.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Stock Life battery use update: I've used 1/10th of a volt and have just over six hours of powered on time.
That's pretty good.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Does any one here use various race modes? I realky love that feature. I have R1 set to standard linear throttle curve, r2 set to a lowered point 1 curve for slippery tracks and calm acceleration and I have an r3 programmed for a really seriously fast initial throttle pull. I also assigned the dial to adjust P1 of my throttle curves for each race mode 1-3.

It's really a great feature tonsee how your car changes handling with the flick of a switch. I assigned sw2 to change beeteen the race modes, so all I have to do is flick my left thumb up to change race modes. My track is medium bite and thought lowering the curve would work well, it turns out I love the race mode with a super high p1 throttle setting. I can come around a corner smooth, slow or out of line and still have a really nice punch to clear any jump. With the curve set to a lower throttle line I had to use be lined up perfectly and use all the ground to build up speed. And with the dial assigned to adjust P1 of the curve for any race mode I can fine tune quickly.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Currently have a Futaba 4PX but have been eyeing the M12S. Has anyone switched form the 4PX to the M12s, and if so do you like it and why?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

so to run SSR, you HAVE to run a special Airtronics SRG Digital servos? And if you don't run SSR its slower, basically same speed as other 'FAST' radios?

also:

is the Rx482 the same speed etc as the rx472 just no antenna?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
so to run SSR, you HAVE to run a special Airtronics SRG Digital servos? And if you don't run SSR its slower, basically same speed as other 'FAST' radios?

also:

is the Rx482 the same speed etc as the rx472 just no antenna?

Yes, to run the M12s in the fastest mode "SSR" you have to be using Airtronics SRG servos.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
Yes, to run the M12s in the fastest mode "SSR" you have to be using Airtronics SRG servos.

Has anyone tested Airtronic's claim?

In some thread around here a member asked Sanwa/Airtronics via email the same question. The answer was slightly vague and followed their marketing that SSR requires a Airtronics/Sanwa servo, but they did leave it open that it's not impossible that other brands may also work. It was very lawyer-ly written to cover themselves.

What exactly is in Sanwa/Airtronics servos that other servos don't have that allow for SSR mode? Is it mostly just marketing hype to garner more Sanwa/Airtronic servo sales?

Regardless, the SHR setup is plenty fast enough for me and I don't see world champion factory team drivers using Sanwa servos with their M12S.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:29 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Has anyone tested Airtronic's claim?

In some thread around here a member asked Sanwa/Airtronics via email the same question. The answer was slightly vague and followed their marketing that SSR requires a Airtronics/Sanwa servo, but they did leave it open that it's not impossible that other brands may also work. It was very lawyer-ly written to cover themselves.

What exactly is in Sanwa/Airtronics servos that other servos don't have that allow for SSR mode? Is it mostly just marketing hype to garner more Sanwa/Airtronic servo sales?

Regardless, the SHR setup is plenty fast enough for me and I don't see world champion factory team drivers using Sanwa servos with their M12S.
Any servo with neutral point at 300 us will work. You may want to read the M12 thread first post for more info. A fact is that not many servos able to run at 300 us exist. Seems manufacturers find it pointless when you have a lot of servos able to run at 333 Hz - 3ms signal. Fast enough.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Going to try a Srg servo with Sanwa esc in my new SC. See how that works, per Sanwa should turn by me just thinking it....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service