R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Radio upgrade....lil help? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/871912-radio-upgrade-lil-help.html)

OttoKrosse 04-12-2015 05:25 PM

Radio upgrade....lil help?

Currently using a Spectrum DX3c, it works fine but after driver a competitors car with a higher end radio (Ko Propo, I think) it felt noticeable different.

Seriously considering the Spektrum DR4R Pro, but I don't know anything about other brands and what advantages they may have over the Spektrum....if any. What improvements can I expect from making this upgrade?

My budget prevents me from spending a lot of money so without breaking my back what options do I have in the Spektrum price range?

Thanks,

:tire:

sschultz 04-12-2015 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse (Post 13956556)
Currently using a Spectrum DX3c, it works fine but after driver a competitors car with a higher end radio (Ko Propo, I think) it felt noticeable different.

Seriously considering the Spektrum DR4R Pro, but I don't know anything about other brands and what advantages they may have over the Spektrum....if any. What improvements can I expect from making this upgrade?

My budget prevents me from spending a lot of money so without breaking my back what options do I have in the Spektrum price range?

Thanks,

:tire:

I bought a very nice m11x from the "for sale" thread here and compared to my dx3s, well imho, there is no comparison! Got it and 2 receivers for around $225....

IOP_Racer 04-12-2015 06:23 PM

When I went to buy a new radio I decided on the Airtronics MT-4 after a lot of research. I really like it. I would personally avoid buying the spectrum based on experiences my friends have had and things I have read.. but if you like your current radio it wouldnt be a bad idea since you are familiar with the product already. I have not had experience with the dx4 pro though. If you have time to search for a used radio I would suggest that as you will find a good deal eventually..

JK_57 04-12-2015 06:37 PM

I just bought the MT-4 also and compared to my Spectrum DX4C it's awesome. I recommend it for sure.

wingracer 04-12-2015 07:05 PM

Yeah keep an eye on the for sale thread here. Good used MT4s's and M11x's come up all the time.

JFuel11 04-12-2015 07:20 PM

Radio Upgrade

If you are on a tight budget you can't go wrong with an MT-4. However if you want something a tad faster you can go with the MT-4S. It is an amazing radio. Finally if you want all the capabilities available in an amazing package... you can go with the M12 but you will not be disappointed with any of these!

Lladnar 04-13-2015 12:15 PM

I had Graupner suggested to me and really like it. I'm new, so I don't have much to compare it to, but if you look up the thread here, most guys that have it seem to be super happy with it!

Drerc 04-13-2015 12:21 PM

Drove a DX3C first, then a 4PK, now just bought a MT4S and I'm super excited.

You defenitely feel a difference between Spektrum and Futaba, Sanwa,...

I think Sanwa with their MT-4S is the leading for the moment, although I liked the 4PK allot, futaba support sucks, and I think their products aren't that good quality either.

We will see what the MT-4S brings. The 40th anniversary looks damn awesome, can't wait to have it in my hands :)

Agentman 04-13-2015 02:55 PM

Had spektrum and switched to airtronics MT-4S. Best decision ever. It is like night and day difference in response time. Car does exactly what I ask of it.

Agentman 04-13-2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Drerc (Post 13957933)
Drove a DX3C first, then a 4PK, now just bought a MT4S and I'm super excited.

You defenitely feel a difference between Spektrum and Futaba, Sanwa,...

I think Sanwa with their MT-4S is the leading for the moment, although I liked the 4PK allot, futaba support sucks, and I think their products aren't that good quality either.

We will see what the MT-4S brings. The 40th anniversary looks damn awesome, can't wait to have it in my hands :)

Your going to like it!

Drerc 04-13-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Agentman (Post 13958163)
Your going to like it!

Awesome, I read that everywhere :D

freebird 04-13-2015 05:49 PM

Listen depending what your budget is and how many cars you've got currently with Spectrum stuff that should help you make a desicion. Spectrum is not bad at all if match with the right radio to the right receivers. Spectrum's are capable of a latency speed of 5.5 ms MAX! when equipped with a 3R PRO or a 4R pro. The only difference between the two radios is a forth channel on the 4 Pro(hence the name). Now if you don't have a gazillion cars to change everything over you might consider a different brand. I just recently changed from Spectrum stuff of which I had a 3R pro with THE best Spectrum receivers and I was very happy. Never had any glitch or bind issues ever in my off road or onroad cars. I only changed because I reached a level of my driving skills that I needed a more responsive system that reacted when I wanted it to. Meaning faster response; latency. Go big or go home I went with Futaba PX. Expensive! Hell yes considering the price of the radio, and 10 receivers. thats quite an investment to consider. Im not going to tell you what or who's system to buy. There are affordable used system that can do the job. Spectrum also has stuff that is better than the sport system you've got.

OttoKrosse 04-13-2015 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Agentman (Post 13958161)
Had spektrum and switched to airtronics MT-4S. Best decision ever. It is like night and day difference in response time. Car does exactly what I ask of it.

Yeah, I heard about the MT4S today from a guy at the LHS, been checking them out online since I got home and it looks like I'm strongly leaning in that direction......updates to come. ;)

Edit: Freebird, only have 2 cars so I can get what I need in the MT4S Anniversary Edition. Considered the DX4R pro but my local competitors say I should get something better. For the money the Spektrum is a great bargain, but the cost to move up justifies the better radio system.

Thanks to all for their input, I'm sure others will benefit from your information. :nod:

GerryH 04-13-2015 08:14 PM

You'll find fan boys and haters of just about every brand out there. Your test of someone else's car might be the radio or it might be his car was better set up. There's also many adjustments that can be done with most radios that might make it better for you dual rate, expo, etc.

First things first, consider your budget and what's it going to cost you for receivers. I started with Airtronics. Never had a single issue with them other than breaking antenna off which was partially my fault but also a design that made the antenna vulnerable.

But once I got up to 4-6 vehicles, the cost of receivers just made it hard for me to continue. So think about the total cost with the number of vehicles you think you'll run at any one time. Different parts of the year mean I run different vehicles so I use some heavy duty velcro type stuff that allows me to move my receivers. But I have enough to run all the vehicles that I might be using at any point in the year.

Next I'd say ergonomics. Is it too heavy, are the buttons and display easy to use. I switched to Futaba and while I like the radio switching models is harder than it needs to be and requires you to hit 2 buttons to confirm which can't be done with 1 hand.

You're best bet like many other posters have said is look for a used one with multiple receivers. Lots of times, people dump last year's model just because it's "old". You can try it out and if you don't like it, sell it off and you probably won't be out much money.

But with any of the major brands I don't think you can go wrong. It's like Chevy, Ford, Chrysler. There's no right answer (let's not start a brand war).

stangdriverdoug 04-14-2015 11:00 AM

Another vote for Graupner. Using their radio and servos. With a 1.5ms connection it's lightning quick.